Air Fryer KFC Zinger Burger. You will love this delicious homemade Zinger burger that is loaded with crispy chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and mayonnaise and is so easy to recreate at home in your air fryer.
This KFC burger fakeaway is one of my favourite air fryer burgers and once you make this, it will become a regular for your Friday night meal plan.
We originally shared with you how to make a KFC zinger sandwich back in the summer of 2016 and wanted to update it today for you with new photos and extra ideas.
Table of Contents
Some burgers are that delicious you remember the first time you had one. I was like that the first time I had the McChicken at McDonalds, Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Burger and of course the first time I had the Zinger burger at KFC.
I loved the batter on the chicken and how crispy it was when you went in for a bite. Or how they had just the right amount of sauce without it exploding all over your clean top.
Also, as someone that is not a big fan of KFC chicken (I prefer my chicken off the bone), it was something I could look forward to each time we were at the shopping centre and heading to KFC.
Then if I didn’t quite finish it, I could take the leftovers home with me and enjoy it later in the air fryer.
But even better, when we are on a roll and making different KFC chicken recipes in the air fryer, we will make our version of the Zinger recipe. We can then use the same KFC spice blend and the same bowls from our egg, breadcrumbs and flour that we used with our KFC popcorn chicken, and it makes a fantastic dinner.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
What’s In A Zinger Burger?
A zinger burger is a delicious crispy chicken burger from KFC. It follows the same method as when you buy fried chicken from KFC.
For example, you have chicken that has been coated in flour, coated in egg and then breadcrumbs which includes the KFC spice blend.
The chicken is then deep fried and then loaded into a burger bun with lettuce, mayonnaise, and other salad garnish.
Because you are making a KFC zinger burger at home you can mix and match with your favourite salad items and sauce. Or even swap the chicken for pork or turkey if you prefer.
What About The Zinger Sauce?
I love that when you buy a KFC zinger burger that you get a delicious KFC zinger sauce with it.
It has that amazing spicy heat to it, but without being over spicy that it takes your attention away from the chicken zinger.
What I do when making a homemade zinger burger is to use some of the KFC spice blend and mix it in with some regular mayonnaise such as Hellmanns. It gives a fantastic flavour to the mayonnaise and is also fantastic for dipping in any sides you are serving your burger with.
Zinger Burger Ingredients
Chicken – To make a KFC chicken burger I have a top tip. That is to cut your chicken breast down to ¾ in width that way it will easily fit inside your burger bun. Then make sure you season it well with salt and pepper. Otherwise you can have chicken that is desperately in need of salt once cooked.
Cheese – I recommend using cheese slices then you can turn your burger into a cheese zinger burger. Dominic makes the best burgers and what he does is add a slice of cheese at the bottom, then after the burger is added another cheese slice on top and they are amazing and perfect for cheese fans like me!
Egg – I recommend cracking a few eggs into a bowl and mixing them with some extra seasoning. This helps keep your chicken more flavoursome and helps the breading stick to the chicken better.
Flour – The flour is what goes on the KFC chicken burger first and helps the egg then stick to the flour. You can use any flour that you have in your pantry. I usually use this as an excuse to have a kitchen pantry clear out.
Seasoning – It’s all about the delicious seasoning mix that you associate with KFC chicken. You can also mix and match if you have a food allergy which is what us Milner’s do.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this zinger burger, it has just been our Philips Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer chicken recipes and perfectly fits 2-4 burgers in it depending on the size of them.
How To Make A Zinger Burger?
- Seasonings. Start by mixing your KFC spice blend in a container. I always use a container because I can then save the leftovers for next time, I want homemade KFC chicken zinger burger.
- Production. Its all about the production line. Create a bowl with your egg mixture, one bowl with your seasoned flour and a third with your seasoned breadcrumbs. A fourth bowl will then have your chicken breast that are waiting to be breaded. Though see below for a full explanation of how this works.
- Coat. Cut your chicken breast to the size of your burger buns. Load your chicken breast into the flour first, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Making sure each of your KFC chicken strips are well coated.
- Load. Add to the air fryer and air fry for 17 minutes. If you are cooking a lot of chicken burgers do 2-4 at a time depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Prep. Whilst your zingers are cooking in the air fryer, mix your mayonnaise ingredients in a small bowl and prep your salad ingredients ready for making your burgers.
- Finish. Next load your just cooked chicken patty into buns with mayonnaise and salad garnish along with sliced cheese before serving.
What To Serve With Your KFC Zinger Burgers?
I love my homemade burgers with air fryer potato wedges, and air fryer frozen onion rings. They make the meal complete and makes you feel like you are dining out, rather than making an air fryer meal at home.
Listen To KFC Zinger Burger in The Air Fryer
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Burgers In Air Fryer
We have loads of burgers in the air fryer recipes for you to try next. Its become one of our favourite foods to air fry and its amazing how good they taste.
- Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Stuffed Hamburgers
- Air Fryer Lamb Burgers
- Air Fryer Frozen Hamburgers
Air Fryer KFC Zinger Burger
Air Fryer KFC Zinger Ingredients:
- Place chicken breasts on a clean chopping board. Slice the end off so that they are suitable for fitting into a burger bun. Season with salt, pepper, and chicken seasoning.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and mix with a fork. Place flour in a bowl and season well with chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper. Place breadcrumbs into a bowl and mix with your KFC rub.
- Load chicken into the flour mixture, then into the egg, and then into the breadcrumbs bowl. Make sure each piece of chicken is well coated from each bowl.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket on a single layer. Cook for 12 minutes at 180c/360f. Then turn and cook for a further 5 minutes at the same temperature.
- Make the mayonnaise by mixing mayonnaise, lemon juice, paprika, cayenne pepper, and KFC seasoning.
- Load the chicken into your burger buns. Start with a slice of cheese, then add shredded lettuce, then add your zinger burgers, then add another slice of cheese, zinger sauce, sliced tomatoes, and lettuce. Then add your burger lid and you are ready for serving.