Air Fryer McChicken Sandwich
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
How to make at McChicken sandwich at home in the air fryer. Loaded with lettuce and mayonnaise just like McDonalds its fantastic for an easy prep, delicious air fryer chicken breast sandwich.
If you love a chicken burger and love a McDonalds McChicken then you will love this copycat breaded chicken recipe.
This McChicken burger recipe was originally shared with you back in 2017 and we are updating it for you today with new photos and more tips and tricks.
I remember been 13 years old and earning my own money and been able to go to McDonalds to buy my own lunch.
I thought it was absolutely amazing and that I had true independence.
I would always order the McChicken McDonalds meal and it was £2.88 or you paid a little extra and could have a McDonalds milkshake with it instead.
I always upgraded and enjoyed a McChicken sandwich with fries and a strawberry milkshake before heading to work.
Fast forward more than 25 years and I am still madly in love with the McChicken from McDonalds, and it is what I usually order. It was also my pregnancy craving when I was expecting Sofia.
So of course, the McChicken from McDonalds has always been top of my list for copycat air fryer burger recipes and I am so pleased to share with you today, how you can make a McChicken at home.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Does McDonald’s Still Have The McChicken?
Yes, it does, and I would be heartbroken if they stopped the McChicken. I have been buying them since 1995 and they have just got better and better over the years.
Even in Portugal with the very limited McDonalds menu they still carry the McChicken and it tastes just as good.
Is The McChicken Healthy?
I wouldn’t consider any of the burgers at McDonalds to be healthy. After all, it is a fast food establishment and it tastes good for a reason.
Also, a lot of the food at McDonalds is deep fried and should be a treat.
However, thanks to the air fryer, you can make your McChicken healthier. Simply by choosing what you are breading your chicken in and making sure its air fried and not deep fried.
Another option is to make a McChicken without a bun and use our McChicken patty recipe and then use it to make a burger in a bowl recipe instead and then you have it in a salad rather than in a bun.
Is There Real Chicken In A McChicken?
Yes, there is REAL chicken in a McChicken and McDonalds only use quality chicken breast in their McChicken burgers and we are doing the same in our homemade version.
In our air fryer breaded chicken sandwich we are breading some chicken breast that we have cut out so that it will fit in a burger bun and make a delicious chicken sandwich.
Can I Air Fry A McChicken?
Yes, you can air fry a McChicken and you will love how crispy the breading is on a McChicken when you make it at home in the air fryer.
I like to compare it to my other favourite copycat chicken burger, the KFC Zinger which was equally just as amazing in the air fryer.
How Do You Reheat A McChicken In An Air Fryer?
If you would like to reheat a McChicken in the air fryer, then I recommend you follow our reheat a burger in the air fryer guide.
We created it based on reheating the McChicken sandwich, the Big Mac and the Whopper so it’s a good guide that explains the reheat process.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Chicken – I recommend that you use quality chicken breasts in this McChicken sandwich. Also aim for a larger chicken breast that you can pound and that you can then cut into a circle.
Bowls – You will also need three bowls that will form your breading production line. One for breadcrumbs, one for beaten egg, and one with flour.
Seasonings – For seasoning your McChicken sandwich we recommend basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
Extras – Then to make it a typical McDonalds McChicken sandwich you will want to have plenty of shredded lettuce and some mayonnaise. As well as burger buns.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this McDonalds McChicken sandwich recipe it has been our Philips Air Fryer (we have this one) and its fantastic for a huge range of air fryer recipes.
You could also use the Thermomix as a food processor and mix the chicken rather than pounding it if you prefer.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make A McChicken?
- Prep. Prior to making your McChicken patty I recommend you set up your production line. You need a bowl for flour, a bowl with beaten egg and a bowl with breadcrumbs. Check out our air fryer fish and chips recipe as this goes into greater detail about this.
- Pound. Place your chicken breast into a Ziploc bag and pound with a rolling pin. Then remove from the bag and using a large round cookie cutter make into circles.
- Season. Then season your chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Bread. Then place the chicken into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs, making sure the McChicken is well coated in each.
- Cook. After breading your McChicken patty load into the air fryer. Air fry for 14 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Finish. Then serve your McDonalds McChicken sandwiches in bread buns with shredded lettuce and mayonnaise.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to make a McChicken recipe and why you should be doing it too!
How Long Are McChickens Good For?
This air fryer McChicken sandwich recipe is good for up to 3 days and you can also use the air fryer to reheat it.
Or you can make ahead your McChicken for the next day to save on prep time if having on a busy weeknight.
What Sauce Is On A McChicken?
The McChicken sauce is like a flavoured mayonnaise. I recommend for your McChicken sauce that you mix mayonnaise with dill pickle juice and a little mustard for a similar flavour.
McChicken Tips & Tricks
- When breading make sure you set up your production line in advance. Then make sure you have the bowls in order of flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
- Use your left hand to do the flour and egg and then your dry right hand for the breadcrumbs.
- Love McDonalds and want more inspiration? Then follow our series and reheat McDonalds fries in the air fryer, reheat your McDonalds burger, reheat chicken nuggets in the air fryer and best of all use the air fryer to make apple turnovers.
- Want your shredded lettuce to last longer? Then cut it up and keep it in a bowl of cold water in the fridge.
More Air Fryer Burgers
- Air Fryer Whopper
- Air Fryer Wendy’s Chicken Sandwich
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Lentil Burgers
Your McChicken recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer McChicken Sandwich
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tsp Basil
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
Breading Production Lime
- Flour Bowl
- Beaten Egg Bowl
- Breadcrumbs Bowl
- 4 Burger Buns
- Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Tsp Dill Pickle Juice
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- Philips Air Fryer
- Ziploc Bag
- Large Cookie Cutter
- Set up your production line with a flour bowl, beaten egg bowl and breadcrumbs bowl.
- Pound your chicken breasts by adding them to a Ziploc bag and banging them with a rolling pin to flatten them out.
- Then use a large cookie cutter to cut the chicken breast into rounds.
- Then season your chicken with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- Then load the chicken into the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs until well coated.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket and air fry for 14 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Mix mayonnaise with dill pickle juice and mustard and then load the chicken burgers into buns with shredded lettuce and the flavoured mayo before serving.
Like!! Thank you for publishing this awesome recipe.