Air Fryer KFC Twister Wrap
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer KFC Twister Wrap. Follow our homemade KFC chicken wrap recipe and make the best tasting and crispiest KFC twister in your air fryer.
You will love how easy it is to make your own copycat chicken twister like KFC. In fact, the prep time is so fast you would have prepped it before you have driven to KFC to buy one.
We originally shared with you how to make a KFC twister back in the summer of 2016 and wanted to update it today for you with new photos and extra ideas.
I remember the first time I ever had a KFC twister and it was not like any wrap that I had eaten before.
It was absolutely delicious, and I loved the crispy batter on the chicken and the spicy mayonnaise, and it soon became my favourite on the KFC UK menu.
Then I moved to Portugal, and it wasn’t available for several years and instead with my shiny new Philips Air Fryer I decided to make my own.
After all, it was similar to a KFC chicken strip and would be easy to recreate from my KFC leftovers.
It was equally as delicious, but of course a few less calories thanks to air frying rather than deep frying.
It then became a thing, whenever I had leftover chicken strips, I would make them into a wrap and recreate my favourite KFC wrap in the air fryer.
Today I wanted to show you how to make your own KFC chicken wrap at home and how easy it is too.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Does KFC Still Have The Twister?
I believe that it depends where you live, to whether or not you can still source the twister at KFC.
It was late coming to Portugal and is still there now. But I know when I looked in the UK I couldn’t get one.
What Is The KFC Twister?
The KFC Twister is a better way to enjoy KFC chicken strips. Instead of served on their own, they are loaded into wraps with salad garnish and mayonnaise.
If you were to define the KFC twister you would say a fried chicken wrap recipe.
Unlike other chicken in wraps which is often unbreaded, the KFC chicken is breaded and this gives the Twister a fantastic crisp to it and makes it addictive and makes you want to go to KFC and make one or do your own at home in the air fryer.
KFC Wrap Recipe Ingredients
Chicken – To make a classic twister like at KFC, you will need some chicken breasts that you can cut into strips. I like to make KFC crispy chicken strips when I have a chicken breast spare in the fridge that needs using up.
Egg – I recommend cracking a few eggs into a bowl and mixing them with some extra seasoning. This helps keep your chicken more flavoursome and helps the breading stick to the chicken better.
Flour – The flour is what goes on the KFC chicken first and helps the egg then stick to the flour. You can use any flour that you have in your pantry. I usually use this as an excuse to have a kitchen pantry clear out.
Wraps – You can use any wraps that you want. It can be corn wraps or flour wraps. You can also reduce the calories further by using WW wraps.
Seasoning – Its all about the delicious seasoning mix that you associate with KFC chicken. You can also mix and match if you have a food allergy which is what us Milner’s do.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this spicy chicken wrap, it has just been our Philips Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer chicken recipes and perfectly fits a big batch of KFC chicken tenders in it.
How To Make A KFC Twister?
- Seasonings. Start by mixing your KFC spice blend in a container. I always use a container because I can then save the leftovers for next time, I want homemade KFC Twisters.
- Production. Its all about the production line. Create a bowl with your egg mixture, one bowl with your seasoned flour and a third with your seasoned breadcrumbs. A fourth bowl will then have your chicken breast strips that are waiting to be breaded. Though see below for a full explanation of how this works.
- Coat. Load your chicken tenders into the flour first, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Making sure each of your KFC chicken strips are well coated.
- Load. Add to the air fryer and air fry for 12 minutes. If you are cooking a lot of chicken do a single layer, then do more batches.
- Finish. Next load your just cooked chicken strips into wraps with mayonnaise and salad garnish before serving.
KFC Twister Sauce
What I love to do when the chicken strips are cooking in the air fryer, is to make a delicious KFC Twister sauce. I will mix together the following KFC mayonnaise ingredients:
- Basic mayonnaise (I love hellmanns)
- Lemon juice
- Spice blend
Just three simple ingredients and a great way to reuse the KFC seasoning that you have already prepped.
What To Serve With Your KFC Chicken Strips?
I find that homemade KFC twisters can be rather filling on their own. If I had two for dinner I would be stuffed.
But if you want sides, I recommend slicing them in half and doing a smaller one and then you can add in some sides that are classic of a KFC menu.
Such as making your own air fryer frozen corn on the cob, our air fryer frozen French fries or pair it with our air fryer potato wedges.
More KFC Chicken In Air Fryer
Would you like more KFC chicken in the air fryer? Or like me do you have leftovers that need using up and you want to make something else.
If so, follow the rest of our air fryer KFC series below:
- Air Fryer KFC Chicken Strips
- Air Fryer KFC Popcorn Chicken
- Air Fryer KFC Chicken
- KFC Spice Blend For The Air Fryer
Behind the scenes at Recipe This we did all the recipes mentioned below as a big buffet on a Saturday afternoon and it was great fun. Because they use similar ingredients you could do the same thing at home.
What To Do With Leftover KFC Chicken?
If like us, you are left with lots of leftover KFC chicken then I recommend you check out our KFC leftover ideas.
You can reheat KFC chicken in the air fryer, same with reheating KFC chicken wings and of course the same rule applies to many KFC leftovers.
Click below to check out the video of us reheating lots of different KFC chicken:
Plus, we have many other leftover ideas over on our You Tube channel.
Air Fryer KFC Twister Wrap
Air Fryer KFC Twister Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp KFC Spice Blend
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 150 g Plain Flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- 150 g Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Chicken Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
For The Twister:
- 4 Taco Wraps
- Shredded Lettuce
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp KFC Spice Blend
- Place chicken breasts on a clean chopping board. Slice length ways into medium strips of chicken. Then season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and mix with a fork. Place flour in a bowl and season well with chicken seasoning, salt, and pepper. Place breadcrumbs into a bowl and mix with your KFC rub.
- Load chicken strips into the flour mixture, then into the egg, and then into the breadcrumbs bowl. Make sure each piece of chicken is well coated from each bowl.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket on a single layer.
- Cook for 11 minutes at 180c/360f. Then turn and cook for a further 4 minutes at the same temperature.
- Make the mayonnaise by mixing mayonnaise, lemon juice and KFC seasoning.
- Load the chicken strips into wraps with shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and your homemade mayonnaise.