This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Slimming World Cheesy Chips In The Air Fryer. How to make delicious homemade cheesy chips in either your actifry or regular air fryer. Quick prep, simple ingredients and much healthier than cheesy chips from the chippy.
These ultimate cheesy chips are perfect for Slimming World and Weight Watchers plus pointers on how to make your Slimming World Cheesy Chips Syn Free!
Cheesy Chips In The Air Fryer
There is no secret of the fact that I am obsessed with carbs and love to comfort eat chips.
One of my readers once asked me if I had air fryer recipes that were not carb heavy and I had to think about how to answer for a moment, because me and potatoes in the air fryer, go together like cheese goes with biscuits.
I even have a big post dedicated to air fryer potato recipes.
I have lost count of the different air fryer chips or air fryer fries recipes that we now have and its amazing how many different ways that I enjoy chips, or as the Americans call them “fries” in the air fryer.
But I was chatting to Dominic last week and I mentioned that we eat cheesy chips all the time, yet we don’t have a cheesy chips air fryer recipe on the blog.
That is just wrong, and I am here today to share with you our signature cheesy chips air fryer recipe.
So, if you have an air fryer, you MUST do these cheesy chips, or cheesy fries as you might call them.
What Are Cheesy Chips?
In a nutshell cheesy chips are French Fries, or chips, depending where you live for what you call them, that are smothered in melted yummy cheese.
They are very popular in England and we first had them from British takeaways in the north of England back in 2002.
They were probably available before this, but this was the first time we recall eating them.
We would have cheesy chips with a pizza and some burgers, and it was unhealthy but so delicious.
Since then we have seen cheesy chips evolve and when we visited England in the summer of 2018, every chip shop and kebab house was serving large or XL portions of addictive fattening cheesy chips.
Are Cheesy Chips Bad For You?
YES YES YES. It is one of those takeaway classics that not only are loaded with deep fried fries/chips, but they are then loaded with unnatural looking unhealthy cheese.
But making your own homemade cheesy chips in the air fryer, means you can make cheesy chips that are good for you. Your cheesy chips can be gluten free, loaded with your choice of cheese and involve hardly any oil or saturated fat.
Which Cheese For Cheesy Chips?
I like to double up on the cheese. After all, who wants to just stop at once cheese? I love to use a mix of cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
But you can use whatever cheese for cheesy chips that is your favourite. My favourite cheese for cheese chips is one that tastes good and melts well. Therefore, I would recommend any of the following:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Red Leicester
- Double Gloucester (my favourite but too expensive here in Portugal)
Or pick your own. If it melts and tastes good, then it is perfect for cheesy chips!
Cheesy Chips Slimming World
I initially bought my first ever Philips Air Fryer because I was on Slimming World and it was been featured in the Slimming World magazine.
That was back in 2011 (I think so long ago I can’t remember exactly) and since then I have loved all these different Low Syn or Syn Free Slimming World Chips that I can make.
Cheesy Chips on Slimming World is no different.
You can use a small amount of cheese and a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and they are perfect.
Or make them Syn Free by following our Oil Free Air Fryer Fries and then using cheese from your healthy extras.
How Many Syns In Cheesy Chips?
If making cheesy chips following my cheesy chips recipe below and using cheese from your allowance, you would be looking at 6 Syns.
But this is enough cheesy chips to feed four people. Therefore, if feeding four it would be 1.5 Syns each or you could quarter the ingredients to make just one portion for yourself.
Cheesy Chips In Actifry
Cheesy chips in the actifry is possible and you could easily follow our cheesy chips air fryer recipe.
I find the actifry is not as good, compared to the Philips Air Fryer and other models, so tends to take a little longer.
Plus, they cook in a slightly different way and chips tend to take a little longer. Though the process of melting the cheese will be just as quick.
I suggest you play about with the timings until they turn out just as good as they do in the Philips Air Fryer.
Cheesy Chips Ideas
There are many ways that you could enjoy your cheesy chips and I wanted to share with you some cheesy chips ideas to get you started.
- Cheesy Chips With Bacon – When you add your chipped potatoes to the air fryer, add in some diced back bacon. It will then cook with the potatoes and you will have delicious cheesy chips with bacon.
- Cheesy Chips With Curry Sauce – Make your own curry sauce to serve with your cheesy chips or follow my homemade curry sauce. Cheesy chips with curry sauce are an old favourite of mine.
- Cheesy Chips With Garlic Mayo – How we have cheesy chips at home and most is with a side of garlic mayo. My favourite mayonnaise is the Spanish alioli and when I go to Spain I always bulk buy some.
- Cheesy Chips With Gravy – Go chippy style by serving your cheesy chips with gravy. It is simple and delicious and perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
- Five Guys Cheesy Chips – Our Five Guys French Fries are delicious and why not load some cheese onto them to make Five Guys Cheesy Chips.
Cheesy Chips Ingredients + Gadgets
There are 4 main ingredients that go into an air fryer cheesy chips:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Grated Cheese
I would recommend before making your air fryer cheesy chips that you have a good air fryer that will consistently make them for you.
There seems to be some very cheap brands of air fryers that my readers keep complaining are breaking on them.
I recommend the Philips air fryer XL because of the quality and the fact that it is an air fryer that lasts. We have used our XL more than 2000 times and it is still going strong!
The cheesy chips ingredients are simple. Potatoes of your choice (you could sub for sweet potatoes if you wanted), extra virgin olive oil, seasoning and your cheese.
You could season your cheesy chips depending on your mood. Let’s say you serve your cheesy chips with curry sauce, then why not season your cheesy chips with garam masala for an Indian flavour? Or go more classic with some parsley?
If you wanted to go oil free and keep your cheesy chips syn free, then soak your potatoes for a couple of hours and avoid the oil.
How To Make Cheesy Chips In An Air Fryer?
- Peel and slice your potato into chips.
- Place your potatoes in a bowl and add in your seasoning and extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix well and place in the air fryer.
- Cook on a medium heat, add the cheese and cook on a high heat until the cheese is melted.
How To Reheat Cheesy Chips?
To reheat cheesy chips in the air fryer, set the temperature to 160c/320f for 5 minutes. Though if it is a bigger portion adjust the cooking time.
Also, the cheese often goes hard and you might have already eaten some of it, so add extra cheese before you reheat!
Slimming World Cheesy Chips In The Air Fryer
- Peel your potatoes. Soak in the fridge with cold water for a couple of hours if you want to cook your chips without oil.
- Add everything but the cheese to a bowl and mix your chips into the seasonings and oil.
- Place your chipped potatoes into the air fryer basket set the temperature to 160c/320f and cook for 12 minutes.
- Shake your chips, add the grated cheese on top and cook for a further 4 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Serve with your favourite extras.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: