The ultimate air fryer brownies recipe. If you love gooey brownies and want to recreate brownies in the air fryer from scratch, then this is how it is done. Its easy, its fast, the brownies taste amazing and no worrying that your brownies will be dry.
Even better, thanks to the use of silicone we reduce the amount of washing up to just one container. The same silicone is used to melt the butter right through to serving the brownies from the silicone.
These brownies in an air fryer are the original air fryer brownies recipe, with many copycat recipes that have followed. They were first published in 2016, updated in 2020 and then updated again for you today.
Table of Contents
Brownies In Air Fryer
The idea of brownies in the air fryer came about, when I decided to run a month long theme on Recipe This.
It was way back in the February of 2016, such a long time ago now that I was 8 weeks pregnant with Jorge and he is now a 5 year old obsessed with air fryer desserts.
The theme would be a different air fryer dessert everyday for 28 days. Highlights of that month included an air fryer chocolate cake, air fryer doughnuts and my personal favourite of the month….. air fryer brownies.
Making brownies in the air fryer got the top vote, not just because of the taste but because of speed.
I had taken my favourite Bero brownies recipe and done everything in one air fryer baking pan.
I melted the butter in the baking pan, then mixed in the ingredients in the same container, then air fried the brownies.
After slicing the brownies and allowing them to cool, the brownies were served in the container.
Compared to the old school method of melting butter in a pan, then having a separate oven dish, this was going to be easier and also half the cook time.
But back in 2016, the big difference is that there were no cute silicone containers for the air fryer and you had to scrub your dish or spend time greasing it.
Fast forward to 2022 and here I am with the silicone method that just makes air fryer brownies from scratch even easier.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Make Brownies In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can make brownies in an air fryer, and you will love them. Once you cook brownies in the air fryer there is no GOING BACK to the oven! You will wonder why you spent such a long time making your brownies from scratch when the air fryer can make the process so much faster.
Plus, many of us forget about our brownies and overcook them in the oven. But with the air fryer it will beep when done.
Why Air Fry Brownies?
- Almost no washing up – The brownie batter is prepared in the same container that it cooks in. There is no bowl, no melting a separate pan on the stove for the butter. You could say my air fryer brownies are a one pot dessert because of this.
- The brownies don’t stick – Thanks to an air fryer brownie silicone, you don’t need to grease a pan and when cooked they literally fall out without any effort. Then a quick wipe clean with a cloth is all that is needed.
- Make blondies instead – This recipe is easy to convert for making your own blondies if you prefer.
- They are quick to prep – It only takes a little prep time to get your brownies right and then wait for the air fryer to beep and you have perfect air fryer brownies!
- Perfect sheet pan or traybake dessert – Swap the classic air fryer baking pan for an air fryer oven tray and you have a sheet pan dessert.
Air Fry Brownies With Silicone
I have mentioned air frying brownies with silicone, and I am sure you want to see how this concept works.
I bought an amazing set of two red silicone round containers (get them here)
Here they are getting ready for melting the butter in the air fryer basket:
I use them for so many different air fryer recipes and they are much more than just for air frying brownies.
The biggest benefit is that you can simply wipe them clean and then use them again and again.
No scrubbing, no parchment paper for your baking and then you peel the silicone away from the food and its DONE.
Air Fryer Brownie For One
If making brownies in the air fryer is about just one person, then there is an easy fix for you. Follow the concept of our air fryer chocolate mug cakes where we use ramekins or swap the ramekins for silicone moulds (like we use in these air fryer egg cups).
Then note that our air fryer brownie recipe is perfect for 12 squares and then divide our ingredients into 12’s or do them into a quarter measurement and then you have 4 small brownies just for you.
Then air fry the brownies like we do with the chocolate mug cakes and you have individual brownies for one.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Air Fryer Brownie Recipe Ingredients
Butter – You start making your brownies in the air fryer by melting your butter. This is very quick, and you can use any brand of butter or margarine. I usually use salted butter.
Flour – When you air fry brownies they are only as good as the flour you use. I always buy Bero flour because its much better quality than cheap supermarket flour and produces more moist and lighter brownies.
Cocoa – There are so many different cocoa brands out there, its often about personal choice. Over the years I have found that your favourite hot chocolate brand gets the best results, and we are using Galaxy Hot Chocolate in ours.
Eggs – You will need 2 large eggs to combine the ingredients and make the brownies all gooey and light.
Sugar – For the best brownies its all about the brown sugar. Though I find that adding an extra tablespoon of caster sugar really gives it the edge and makes them much nicer.
Syrup – Then for extra sweetness a little golden syrup. This also adds extra moisture to the brownies. If you don’t have golden syrup, you can swap this for honey or maple syrup.
Vanilla – Then for the final ingredient for this air fryer brownie recipe I recommend some vanilla essence.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer brownie recipe it has just been our Philips Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
Brownies In A Ninja Foodi
Whilst I mentioned above making my brownies in the Philips air fryer, I have also made Ninja Foodi brownies too.
To make brownies using the Ninja Foodi, simply use the short trivet and then place the silicone over it.
The trivet then works as a pretend air fryer basket and keeps it in place. Then simply add 4 more minutes to the cook time because the Philips Air Fryer XL is much quicker.
How To Make Brownies In Air Fryer?
- Melt. Place your butter into the silicone container and air fry until melted.
- Load. Add in everything but the flour and eggs and mix well with either a fork or a silicone whisk.
- Finish. Add in the flour and mix and then finally add in the eggs and mix slowly as your brownies batter will start to fill up a lot now.
- Cook. Place your silicone in the air fryer and air fry for 26 minutes.
- Beeps. When the air fryer beeps, allow to cool, before slicing into squares and serving.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is making brownies in air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
How Long Do You Cook Brownies In An Air Fryer?
The recommended brownies in air fryer time are JUST 32 minutes. But NOTE, this includes:
- 6 minutes for melting your butter
- 16 minutes at 180c/360f for the first cook of the batter
- 10 minutes at 170c/340f for the final cooking of the brownies
Brownies Air Fryer Tips & Tricks
- For the best air fried brownies, we recommend that you use a quality flour such as Bero. It produces the best brownies, and they are light and don’t have that heavy dry texture.
- Use silicone. It is a game changer for the air fryer, and you will be amazed at the results. I couldn’t imagine going back to scrubbing baking pans again.
- Be careful when mixing your brownie batter. You have a lot going on in one silicone container and its easy to spill it everywhere.
Interesting Air Fryer Trick – You can use this exact same cook time and method for many different baked treats. Such as blondies, traybakes, cakes etc. Learn the brownie air fryer method and rinse and repeat for other favourite family recipes.
Can you freeze your brownies? Yes, you can. I would recommend adding to a freezer bag such as a Ziploc and then loading into the freezer once cool. Plus, don’t forget to label it up so that you can remember what it is later.
More Air Fryer Sweet Treats
- Air Fryer Victoria Sandwich
- Air Fryer Jammie Dodger Cake
- Air Fryer Chocolate Muffins
- Air Fryer Doughnut Holes
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Air Fryer Fudge
Your air fryer brownies recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Brownies
- Place your butter into the silicone dish and then place the silicone in the air fryer and air fry for 6 minutes at 120c/250f or until melted.
- Remove the silicone from the air fryer and add everything but the flour and eggs. Stir with a fork or spoon until well mixed.
- Then add in the flour and mix well and a brownie batter is starting to come together.
- Mix in the eggs and make sure it is fully mixed and flatten the top with the spoon for a level batter.
- Place the silicone dish back into the air fryer and air fry for 16 minutes at 180c/360f, then reduce the temperature to 170c/340f and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then chop into 12 equal squares before serving.