Air Fryer Popcorn. If you are wondering can you make popcorn in an air fryer, then this is the popcorn guide for you. We got the chef at Recipe This to try making popcorn in the air fryer and this is the result and his best advice if you want to try it yourself.
Air Fryer Popcorn
I got an email from one of my newsletter subscribers recently (you can subscribe here) and it had the subject line “can you make popcorn in the air fryer”.
She had replied to a message I had sent her and the rest of our subscribers, asking what questions they would like answering for the air fryer.
She mentioned that she had watched a You Tube Video of it being done, had tried it at home and it didn’t turn out like the video.
Also, that the video missed off quite a bit, so kind of didn’t look like the whole thing had been cooked in the air fryer.
Frightened that the popcorn would go into the air fryer vents or that it wouldn’t pop, I mentioned this to Dominic who has worked for many years as a professional chef.
He told me straight away to go and grab a bag of corn and I watched him test it there and then.
Three rounds later of testing and practicing and we have air fryer popcorn, not just for your lady via emails, but for everyone else too.
Can You Make Popcorn In An Air Fryer?
I emailed her back and was delighted to say was YES you can make popcorn in an air fryer.
Then there was a BUT.
But it is not the easiest of air fryer recipes. Air fryer popcorn even though it can be done, it not what I would consider to be an air fryer beginner recipe. It would never feature in our 101 air fryer recipes for beginners.
Instead there is a lot of basket shaking, preheating, stuck popcorn at the end of cooking and having to make sure you don’t put in too much corn for your size of air fryer.
BUT I would make air fryer popcorn again and again and it did pop nearly almost all the corn.
Popcorn In Air Fryer Chef Tips
I imagine if you are wanting to try popcorn in the air fryer for the first time, that you would like some chef tips. I watched Dominic make air fryer popcorn 3 times, asked him questions as he made it and observed him.
No point asking him afterwards, because these chefs do it in their head and then can never remember cook times!!!
- Popcorn In Air Fryer Without Oil – Never do it! You see popcorn needs the hot oil to be able to start popping. If you do popcorn without any oil at all, you will not have a good success rate of popped corn.
- Air Fryer Butter Popcorn – Melt the butter in the air fryer baking pan first, like we do in our air fryer brownies. This will then also create a preheat, then remove the butter, do the popcorn, and toss the popcorn in the butter afterwards.
- Best Air Fryer For Popcorn – We used the Philips Air Fryer XL, but you can use any air fryer. The best thing to note is that if you don’t have a decent sized air fryer basket you need to reduce the amount of corn.
- Preheat Is Essential – The air fryer needs to get hot so that once the corn goes in, it will pop as soon as possible. If not, you will end up with lots of burnt corn and not much popcorn.
- Shaking Technique – You need to regularly shake the basket, but only with opening it very slightly. This will make sure corn at the bottom is getting cooked but open it too much and your popcorn will pop out of the air fryer.
- Single Layer Corn – It is also incredibly important that you spread out your corn and that it is one single layer. Add more popcorn than this and it won’t evenly pop.
How To Air Fry Popcorn?
The quick version of air fryer popcorn goes as follows:
- Toss corn in extra virgin olive oil.
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Spread out oiled corn in the air fryer basket.
- Cook and shake until your corn has stopped popping.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
Air Fryer Popcorn Temperature
The ideal air fryer popcorn temperature is 200c/400f. Any lower and the popcorn will not pop, and you want to achieve the most popcorn popped as possible.
Air Fryer Popcorn Time
For an air fryer popcorn cooking time you need to go with an estimate. This is because some air fryers are more powerful than others and its not set in stone.
We are using a Philips Air Fryer XL and did a total of 7 minutes. But the guide really needs to be, when your popcorn stops popping, its time to finish the cook time.
We recommend setting the cook time to 9 minutes and keeping an eye on your popcorn in the air fryer, then if it stops after 7 minutes for example, that you end the cooking time then.
Popcorn In Air Fryer Outtakes
What I wanted to do, was share with you, what the air fryer looks like after making air fryer popcorn. I didn’t want to show you a finished bowl of popcorn and then not mention what the air fryer was like afterwards.
Let’s start with the air fryer basket. It was nearly all popped into popcorn and only a few pieces of corn were leftover:
Then there is the top of the inside of the air fryer where the corn has stuck during the popping process:
This was easy to wipe clean, but still annoying as I don’t have any other air fryer recipe that I follow that does this.
Air Fryer Popcorn
- Measure. Make sure you measure the corn, as too much and you will end up with not enough room for it all to pop.
- Toss. In a bowl add your corn and your extra virgin olive oil. Toss so that the corn is well coated in the oil. To save time, as you toss your oil, give the air fryer a 1 minute preheat at 200c/400f.
- Layer. Add your corn to the air fryer basket and create a big layer that is spread out. You don’t want some corn to pop and others to be stuck together.
- Cook. Air fry for 7 minutes at 200c/400f. Shake at 2 minute intervals by opening the basket slightly so that the pop wont escape from the air fryer.
- Finish. When it stops popping, toss in favourite popcorn seasoning or in butter or brown sugar, load into popcorn boxes or bowls and enjoy!