A healthy air fryer breakfast doesn’t get any tastier than our air fryer frittata. You can make your frittata ahead and then reheat your frittata using the air fryer or microwave for a quick speedy breakfast.
This breakfast frittata is loaded with sweet potato, onion, courgette, sausage, and cheese. Then topped with cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of oregano.
Our air fryer frittata recipe was originally shared in 2020 and we are updating it today with new photos and even more great info.
Table of Contents
I am trying to think of the first time I had a frittata and fell in love with the simplicity of it, but I truly can’t remember.
It was probably on one of my many trips to the Greek Isles as a kid.
I have always been quiche obsessed and a frittata was always the healthy plan B.
But back then our air fryer was way too small to make a frittata and instead it would take a lot longer to prep a frittata for lunch.
Dominic would steam the vegetables in our old Russel Hobbs Steamer, beat the eggs and then cook the frittata in the oven.
But it felt like such a long process for making a healthy frittata for lunch. Fast forward 7 years and we have an air fryer solution.
I will make ahead 2 breakfast frittatas in the air fryer and cut each into quarters. This would then leave us with 8 pieces of frittata for breakfast for the next 4 days.
Also, if we got hungry between meals, we could grab a slice of frittata rather than reaching for a packet of crisps, or something else unhealthy that was good for a quick fix.
Today, I will be sharing with you our go to breakfast frittata in the air fryer, that you can recreate at home. You will love this easy breakfast frittata and you can easily mix and match ingredients and even use it as a fridge clear out.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Cook A Frittata In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can, and if done right a frittata in the air fryer can be amazing.
You can add any of your favourite omelette or frittata fillings, you can use your frittata as a fridge clear out and its perfect for reheating later.
You can also enjoy your frittata cold and take it with you to summer picnics, barbecues etc. Plus, if you are on WW this Weight Watchers friendly frittata is perfect for work food.
Frittata vs Quiche
A frittata is a Mediterranean version of a quiche or flan. Many people call a frittata a crustless quiche. Or our air fryer frittata muffins are also known as air fryer egg cups.
Though when I mentioned that I was making an air fryer frittata to one of my readers, they told me it was also known as an air fryer breakfast casserole.
Now I can see why this simple Mediterranean dish can confuse so many people with all its various names.
Is A Frittata The Same As An Omelette?
Hang on a minute, didn’t I just describe an omelette?
I always think of an omelette as flat, cooked fast and eaten hot. Whilst a frittata is often much bigger, often cut into squares and can be served cold.
A frittata is also cooked in two stages unlike an omelette.
The first stage is when you sauté and cook your vegetable add ins such as spinach, onions, and peppers.
Then the second stage is when the egg mixture is loaded over the vegetables and cooked in a dish until the frittata fully sets.
Though if you are looking for a smaller version for one for breakfast, do check out our air fryer omelette.
Do You Put Milk In A Frittata?
You can use milk in a frittata, but it is more common to use cream. I like to use either cream or coconut milk.
In today’s recipe for frittata in an air fryer we are using mascarpone.
The thicker the option that you go with, the easier it will be for your frittata to set.
If you are worried about calories, note that only a tiny amount of cream is used and this frittata makes 8 portions once it has been cut up into squares.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Frittata Air Fryer Ingredients
Eggs – You will need plenty of eggs. Whilst a regular omelette for breakfast will usually use 2, a breakfast frittata needs 8-10 depending on portion size.
Veggies – You can use leftover veggies, or you can air fry some veggies first and then load them into your frittata. My favourites are carrots, swede, peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, or green beans. Though do go with what you have in.
Sausages – Ever since moving back to England I have become obsessed with 50% reduced fat Cumberland sausages from Tesco’s. They are amazing and are fantastic for a WW frittata. Simply load 6 sausages into the air fryer and then once cooked, chop up the sausages and split between your two frittatas.
Seasonings – For seasoning to make your breakfast frittata taste even better, I recommend salt, pepper, mixed herbs and some oregano or basil for sprinkling on top.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this healthy breakfast frittata recipe it has just been our Philips Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How Do You Make A Breakfast Frittata?
- Plan. Start by planning what you are going to be adding to your frittata. Are you making an air fryer vegetable frittata, a spinach and mushroom frittata or what about an air fryer potato frittata?
- Prep. Next prep your vegetables or if already cooked, load into your frittata containers.
- Cook. Then cook any vegetables, meat, or potatoes that need cooking for your frittata first.
- Mix. Whilst the air fryer is cooking your filling, mix your egg and cream in a mixing jug and add in any extra seasonings.
- Pour. When the air fryer beeps, pour your filling into your container, and pour over your egg mixture.
- Finish. Load back into the air fryer basket and air fry until set in the centre. Which is approximately 23 minutes for a frittata in the air fryer.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook a frittata in the air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
Can You Reheat Frittata?
Yes, you can reheat your healthy breakfast frittata recipe, and I encourage you to do so.
Every Sunday I make a double frittata which is enough for me and the hubby for breakfast for Monday through to Thursday.
We then use the air fryer or the microwave to reheat the frittata.
Then it’s a wonderful quick breakfast without having to worry, in the morning rush.
Ninja Foodi Frittata
Also, if you have a Ninja Foodi, you can also cook frittata in the Ninja Foodi using the air fryer basket.
The cook time and temperature are also exactly the same.
Frittata In Air Fryer Tips & Tricks
- Use up those leftovers. A frittata in the air fryer is perfect for loading up with spare veggies, leftover potatoes, and leftover meat.
- Just like an omelette there are so many different fillings you can do with a frittata. Our preferred fillings are sausage, sweet potato, and veggies with a bit of cheese.
- It only takes 90 seconds to reheat frittata in the microwave for those stressful I am late for work mornings.
- Use that silicone. Silicone dishes work very well in the air fryer, peel away from the frittata and save on washing up.
- This frittata air fryer recipe makes 8 squares over 2 air fryers and will feed 2 of you for breakfast for 4 days. If its just one of you, I recommend you half the ingredients and just make one.
- The cherry tomatoes on top works as a top to the frittata to stop it burning on top, but is also fantastic for adding some extra flavour and colour to your frittata.
Top Air Fryer Trick – Push down the sausages inside of your frittata egg mix. Otherwise the sausages will continue to cook.
More Healthy Air Fryer Breakfast Recipes With Eggs
Your frittata in air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Frittata
- Peel and dice your sweet potato into cubes. Slice your zucchini into medium slices and then quarter each slice. Load into a bowl the zucchini and sweet potato with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix with your hands.
- Load the sweet potato and zucchini into the air fryer basket and air fry for 5 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Shake the air fryer and add the sausages on top and air fry for a further 12 minutes.
- Load the filling items (zucchini and sweet potato) as well as some spring onion we sliced into the silicone dishes.
- In a measuring jug add eggs and beat with a fork and then slowly add in the cream. Season with salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Add grated cheese to the silicone and then pour over the egg and cream mixture. Decorate with cherry tomato halves as well as a sprinkle of basil.
- Place the silicone in the air fryer and air fry for 17 minutes at 180c/360f followed by a further 5 minutes at 170c/340f. Check with a cocktail stick in the centre and if it comes out clean then the frittata is cooked.
- Once its cool enough to touch, peel the silicone from the frittata.
- Then slice into quarters and place in the fridge ready for breakfast for the next few days.