Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin. How to make the easiest air fryer scalloped potatoes. Whether you call them scalloped potatoes, au gratin, or cheesy potatoes, they are ideal for a quick mini casserole in the air fryer.
Our air fryer potatoes au gratin was originally shared on Recipe This in 2015. This is the updated version with more photos and even better recipe information.
Air Fryer Potatoes Au Gratin
If there is a comfort food that France does well, then it is potatoes au gratin.
Delicious potatoes are thinly sliced and served in a creamy cheesy sauce.
Also, my favourite vegetarian recipe on trips to France as a kid.
My parents had an RV and our holidays would involve 3 weeks spread between France, Spain, and Portugal. What I recall most about France is how amazing the food was, but how freezing cold it was.
The amount of times we were stuck at the ferry port waiting to go back to England because of bad weather was ridiculous.
But it would give us a couple of extra days in France, to eat even more French food!
My Dad was always fantastic at finding a little French café that would serve him and my mum steak, while I tucked into yet another batch of potatoes au gratin.
That’s probably why at cookery school I would always choose to make some sort of au gratin and why I make it for Dominic as much as possible.
But what about a simple version of potatoes au gratin in the air fryer? One that is much easier to make and you can do when you are craving comfort food when it is raining outside.
This air fryer potatoes au gratin can be made in a big air fryer dish, or served in little cute portions like I am showing you today.
Difference Between Au Gratin & Scalloped Potatoes
I am British and this means until I started reading food blogs back in 2012 and dreaming about having my own food blog, that I had never heard of scalloped potatoes.
I thought maybe they had fish in as being British that is how we describe a type of fish cake.
Turns out that scalloped potatoes are another name for potatoes au gratin.
If you live in Europe chances are, you call it au gratin and if you live in America the name would be scalloped potatoes.
Or to complicate it further, in some locations people call it cheesy potatoes.
What Is A Potato Au Gratin?
Au gratin is a French food and can be many different foods such as cauliflower au gratin or vegetable au gratin. Its all about potatoes that are topped with a creamy sauce and a crusty topping.
This might be with butter, cheese, cream, eggs, breadcrumbs, or all those ingredients.
Best Potatoes To Use For Au Gratin?
The best potatoes to use for au gratin are those that are:
- Small to Medium – Any bigger or smaller and the sliced potato size will be too big or too small.
- Good condition – Ones with eyes growing are not good when you are eating the skin on the potatoes.
- Clean – You will want to give them a quick scrub before you use them.
You don’t need to use a specific type of potatoes. Whatever potatoes you have available will be perfect.
Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
It all starts with cooking potatoes in the air fryer. Before you load your potatoes into containers to make an au gratin you are going to be slicing your potatoes and cooking them as scalloped potatoes first.
This will give your air fryer sliced potatoes an amazing crispy coating and the au gratin will taste even better.
Then you load the scalloped potatoes into containers with a creamy sauce and you air fry.
How To Cook Potatoes Au Gratin?
Here are the main steps for cooking potatoes au gratin:
- Slice Potatoes
- Toss in oil and seasoning.
- Air fry sliced potatoes.
- Load potatoes with other ingredients into containers.
- Air fry + eat.
Can You Cook A Casserole In An Air Fryer?
You are probably wondering about other casseroles for the air fryer. After all, if you can cook potato au gratin, then many other recipes are possible.
Well make sure you have a good dish that fits in the air fryer (or use mini ones) and you are all set.
Plus, the air fryer does an amazing job of melting cheese, so why not.
Air Fryer Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin
- Slice. Using a mandoline (or a sharp knife) thinly slice your potatoes.
- Toss. Load into a bowl and toss in extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Air Fry. Load sliced potatoes into the air fryer and cook for 12 minutes at 180c/360f. Then shake the air fryer basket. Cook for a further 6 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Mix. Back in the potato bowl add cooked sliced potatoes with coconut milk, leftover ham, sliced cheese, frozen sweetcorn, and frozen peas. Mix.
- Load. Add to ramekins and top with more sliced cheese.
- Melt. Load the ramekins into the air fryer basket and cook for a further 3 minutes at 200c/400f to melt the cheese.
- Serve. Eat from the ramekins or load onto dinner plates.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: