This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Turkey Pot Pie. How to make a delicious leftover turkey pie from scratch and cook it in your air fryer. Ideal for leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and Christmas or can be subbed for leftover rotisserie chicken. Creamy and yummy with a homemade pie crust, this is the dream leftover meal.
This is an updated version of our 2017 air fryer leftover turkey pot pie. We have new ideas, an improved filling, and new photos. We hope you like the updated version.
Air Fryer Turkey Pot Pie
The hubby is always complaining about my homemade pie crust. The complaints are usually surrounding how long it has last been since I made him pie crust pastry.
I will normally reserve air fryer pie crust just for the holidays because let’s face it, it’s not exactly a low calorie or healthy air fryer recipe.
But if I were to ask him what his personal favourite is, I would get nagged to make him a meat and vegetable pie. Whether it is air fryer chicken pot pie, steak pie, or a leftover turkey pot pie, it is his kind of classic comfort food heaven.
After previously showing you just how easy it is to cook frozen pot pie in air fryer, I thought it was about time I updated our air fryer turkey pot pie.
It can be made with leftover turkey, chicken, beef stew, or even to make a vegetable loaded version. Just follow our simple cooking times, our homemade pie crust and our other tips and convert it to your leftovers.
Can You Cook Pies In An Air Fryer?
Let’s talk first about the logistics of cooking pies in the air fryer. After all, you might be thinking about that HUGE pot pie you normally make and wonder if it can be cooked in an air fryer.
- Firstly, its all about the size. You need to make a pie that will fit in your air fryer. I bought two small pot pie containers that fitted in the air fryer and those are the ones you see in todays recipe. You could also use silver foil pie pans that fit in your air fryer and use those.
- Secondly, the air fryer circulates air and isn’t the same as an oven, so you need to think about your pie overcooking. If you have a pie with a really long cook time, a layer of silver foil will help.
How Do You Make Pot Pie Crust From Scratch?
The first you are probably thinking about is how do you make pot pie crust from scratch? Well the biggest part of the recipe is really easy.
Pot pie crust involves rubbing butter into flour and then using room temperature water to combine it. You can then roll it out and use it on the top of your pot pies.
Or I like to save time and organise myself. I will prep the homemade pie crust while the pie filling is cooking in my instant pot pressure cooker.
I also made an air fryer pie crust which is ideal for using in air fryer cookery.
Leftover Pie Crust
No matter how hard I try, I always end up with leftover pie crust. It can be so annoying when you hoped that you had made just enough to cover your pie pot.
What I do instead is one of two things, depending on what my meal plan looks like:
- Roll it into a ball and freeze in a sandwich bag. It’s the perfect size for next time and freezes very well. Then next time allow it to thaw and roll it out on a floured worktop.
- Roll it out and use other ingredients to make things with. Such as loading it with cheese for cheese straws, or loading it with pie filling for a veggie loaded sausage roll.
What To Do With Leftover Pie Filling?
You might also be wondering what to do with leftover pie filling. I know with my pie pots being quite small, there is often pie filling left to come up with ideas for.
My healthier choice would be to use leftover pie filling in a soup. You could call it your leftover pot pie soup. Load it with some frozen peas to fill it out a bit, add some turkey stock, turkey gravy and then reheat in the instant pot.
My personal choice that is not so healthy is to make an alternative to air fryer sausage rolls. Instead of loading the sausage meat into the roll, add thick leftover pot pie filling. Or go with a different shape such as like a cheese and onion pasty.
Or instead of using it for a leftover meal, freeze it for another time when you are next craving a pot pie.
How Do You Make Turkey Pot Pie From Scratch?
Even though my turkey pot pie is homemade, it is not shop bought or frozen and I consider it a turkey pie from scratch.
Instead of the traditional route I am loading up frozen vegetables, leftover turkey leg meat, leftover turkey gravy and cheese into the instant pot and mixing it together. There are no prepping vegetables, and it is quick to make.
You can alternatively grab your leftover thanksgiving vegetables and reheat it instead of frozen if that is what you prefer.
Then once you have prepped your filling, load it into pie dishes with your pie crust on top and you have a delicious homemade turkey pot pie.
How Do I Thicken My Turkey Pot Pie?
I know this sounds crazy, but you have a lot of thick vegetables in your turkey pot pie that are carb heavy and can be used as an alternative to cornflour in a lot of recipes.
If you have a turkey pot pie that is heavy on potatoes and carrots, then these are the best option. Use a hand blender, find a handful of those, blend and then stir. You will soon see your turkey pot pie thicken up.
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Pot Pie In An Air Fryer?
My turkey pot pie took JUST 12 minutes to cook in the air fryer. Though if your pot pie is bigger or smaller than ours, you will need to adjust the cook time.
I recommend starting low at 160c/320f and then going up to 200c/400f to put a final bit of colour on your pie.
What Goes Good With Turkey Pot Pie?
We served our turkey pot pie with buttered cabbage. But any other vegetable works well. Or even better do buttered cabbage and serve it with our instant pot no drain mashed potatoes and spare instant pot turkey gravy.
Air Fryer Leftover Turkey Pot Pie
- Start by loading frozen vegetables into the instant pot and cooking them in the steamer basket. Though remember to load a cup of water below for them to go to pressure. Give them a 0 minute cook time and do a quick pressure release. It will then make the vegetables like they have been blanched. Skip this step if you already have some cooked vegetables to use.
- Next drain your cooked vegetables and load them into the instant pot inner pot and make sure you have removed the vegetable water. Add in all ingredients and mix well. You can reheat the pie filling using the sauté setting to make sure the filling is well combined and that you do not have a filling that is too thick or too thin.
- Cancel sauté and load the filling into your pie pans. Roll out your just made pie crust and cover the pot pies with pastry. Cover the top of your pie crust in egg wash and using a knife leave a couple of holes in the top of your pie to allow the pie to breathe while it is cooking.
- Place your pot pie into the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes at 180c/360f, followed by a further 2 minutes at 200c/400f. Serve while still warm.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: