This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Have you made scalloped potatoes in the air fryer yet from leftover cheese sauce and air fryer crispy sliced potatoes? In this air fryer scalloped potatoes recipe, we will be showing you some delicious shortcuts for the best air fryer potato side dish.
Whether you call them scalloped potatoes, potatoes au gratin, or like us Brits a potato bake, its amazing for cooking in the air fryer.
This leftover potato gratin recipe was originally shared back in 2015 updated in 2020 and updating today with new photos and better tips and tricks for making the best scalloped potatoes in the air fryer.
Scalloped Potatoes In Air Fryer
I was a vegetarian as a teenager and the food that I loved time and time again was veggies or potatoes in a creamy cheese sauce.
I could eat it all day, everyday given the chance and it was a true favourite of mine.
It was also the first thing, beyond making a delicious cheese and tomato quiche, that I learnt to make myself.
I would make a cheese sauce, boil the veggies and potatoes and then when done, the cheese sauce would be poured over the veggies.
Kind of like mac and cheese but swapping the macaroni for root veggies.
But I remember once having no veggies and using just potatoes and thinking it was the best thing ever and calling it my potato bake.
Of course, this is long before the air fryer became the best kitchen gadget ever and in todays recipe for air fryer scalloped potatoes we are showing you a very quick prep method and then using the air fryer to make everything nice and crispy.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Make Scalloped Potatoes In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can air fry scalloped potatoes and you will love them. You see, you can use the air fryer to air fry the sliced potatoes and then use the air fryer to add a crispy topping, in a similar way to how you would use the oven. Only difference, is that the air fryer is much quicker and doesn’t need a preheat.
Do Scalloped Potatoes Cook Faster Covered Or Uncovered?
Scalloped potatoes cook much faster uncovered than covered. But if you are adding loads of cheese to the top of your scalloped potatoes (or bacon) expect that it will go darker because of the way the air fryer cooks from above.
What is The Difference Between Scalloped and Au Gratin Potatoes?
I am British and this means until I started reading food blogs back in 2012 and dreaming about having my own food blog, that I had never heard of scalloped potatoes.
I thought maybe they had fish in as being British that is how we describe a type of fish cake.
Turns out that scalloped potatoes are another name for potatoes au gratin.
If you live in Europe chances are, you call it au gratin and if you live in America the name would be scalloped potatoes.
Or to complicate it further, in some locations people call it cheesy potatoes.
What Is A Potato Au Gratin?
Au gratin is a French food and can be many different foods such as cauliflower au gratin or vegetable au gratin. Its all about potatoes that are topped with a creamy sauce and a crusty topping.
This might be with butter, cheese, cream, eggs, breadcrumbs, or all those ingredients.
Best Potatoes To Use For Au Gratin?
The best potatoes to use for au gratin are those that are:
- Small to Medium – Any bigger or smaller and the sliced potato size will be too big or too small.
- Good condition – Ones with eyes growing are not good when you are eating the skin on the potatoes.
- Clean – You will want to give them a quick scrub before you use them.
You don’t need to use a specific type of potatoes. Whatever potatoes you have available will be perfect.
Should You Boil Potatoes Before Air Frying?
There is no need to boil potatoes before air frying because the air fryer cooks the potatoes much faster compared to the oven.
Also, when you boil potatoes first, you lose the nutritional values of them, and they taste rather bland.
If you check out our air fryer potato wedges, air fryer baked potatoes, air fryer chips, or air fryer baby potatoes, you will see that the potatoes are loaded straight into the air fryer without boiling first.
Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
This recipe for air fryer au gratin potatoes is all about the air fryer sliced potatoes. What we do first is slice the potatoes, air fry until cooked and crispy and then load them up with cheese sauce.
I recommend that if you are new to the air fryer, that you check out our air fryer sliced potatoes recipe first.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Scalloped Potatoes Air Fryer Ingredients
Potatoes – I recommend 5 medium potatoes not large as you don’t want the slices to be too big. I also recommend ones that have not been sat around for ages as you want great air fryer potato skin.
Sauce – Its all about the cheese sauce over the potatoes and layering them up like we do with our air fryer lasagna recipe. You can either go healthy with our soup maker cheese sauce or make a classic cheese sauce like our Thermomix cheese sauce.
Cheese – Don’t be shy, add plenty of cheese to the top of your air fryer cheesy potatoes.
Breadcrumbs – I recommend adding some breadcrumbs that you can then sprinkle on top. I have a big bowl of them (see pic above), and this was then also used for our air fryer KFC chicken, air fryer potato cakes and a few other recipes and then the rest was loaded into the freezer.
Seasonings – I prefer to keep things simple with salt, pepper, and some dried chives but you can add in extra seasonings too if you want a different flavour.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this au gratin potatoes in air fryer it has just been our Cosori air fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make Scalloped Potatoes In Air Fryer?
- Bowl. Slice your potatoes with skin on into thinly sliced potatoes. Load into a bowl with extra virgin olive oil and your seasonings. Mix well with your hands until the potatoes are well coated.
- Cook. Next load the sliced potatoes into the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes at 180c/360f, shake the air fryer, then air fry for a further 8 minutes at 160c/320f, shake and spray with extra virgin olive oil and then air fry for a further 4 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Layer. Then add a layer of potatoes to an air fryer cake pan, then add a layer of the cheese sauce, then a layer of potatoes and continue like this until you are out of potatoes and have a final layer of cheese sauce on top.
- Sprinkle. Then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and grated cheese, then air fry for 10 minutes at 180c/360f.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to make air fryer scalloped potatoes from leftovers and how you can do the same.
Ninja Foodi Scalloped Potatoes
You can also make scalloped potatoes in Ninja Foodi. Simply use the air fryer crisplid on the Ninja. Or you could also use the Ninja Foodi to make yourself a cheese sauce with instead.
Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
You can also make scalloped potatoes with cheese and ham. Simply add loads of diced ham to your cheese sauce and then it will create a ham and cheese sauce and will taste even better.
Or another option is for the last few minutes of cook time that you sprinkle the top with bacon bits like we do in our air fryer green bean casserole.
More Air Fryer Leftover Ideas
- Air Fryer Leftover Turkey Pie
- Air Fryer Leftover Turkey Calzone
- Air Fryer Leftover Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Leftover Stuffing Muffins
- Air Fryer Prime Rib Hash
Your scalloped potatoes air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Scalloped Potatoes
- Clean the potatoes and then thinly slice and discard the ends.
- Load the sliced potatoes into a mixing bowl and add the oil and seasonings and mix well with your hands.
- Load the potatoes into the air fryer basket and air fry for 15 minutes at 180c/360f, shake the potatoes, air fry for 8 minutes at 160c/320f, shake and then spray with extra virgin olive oil spray. Air fry for a further 4 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Load the sliced potatoes into your air fryer cake pan adding a single layer, pour over cheese sauce, and then repeat again 3 more times. Then sprinkle the top of the cheese sauce with breadcrumbs followed by grated cheese.
- Then air fry for 10 minutes at 180c/360f before serving.