This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Turkey Thighs. Let me introduce you to the best ever turkey thigh you have ever eaten. This turkey thigh is cooked to perfection in the air fryer, has delicious crispy skin, is juicy in the centre and perfect for a roast dinner for two.
Even better, we are not just showing you how to cook a turkey thigh in the air fryer, we are also making a full roast turkey dinner at the same time. With roasted potatoes, parsnips, sprouts, stuffing balls, and gravy.
Turkey Thighs In Air Fryer
Today is day 5 of our turkey theme at Recipe This. We are showcasing some of the best ways to cook turkey with kitchen gadgets.
We have already showed you how to cook air fryer turkey burgers and an air fryer boneless turkey breast, air fryer turkey crown was day three and yesterday it was the turn of air fryer turkey legs. But today it gets even better with an air fryer turkey thigh.
Have you cooked a turkey thigh roast in the air fryer yet? Or even just a turkey thigh on its own in the air fryer?
Because it is a serious air fryer game changer.
You see a turkey thigh is BIG compared to chicken thighs and can become a substitute for roasting meat cooked in the air fryer. Take a look at the pictures on this post and then compare it to my air fryer rump roast and notice the similar size and how you could fill the gaps with sides to make a turkey thigh roast dinner.
Then from a frugality perspective, it is much cheaper to do a turkey thigh dinner than a roast beef one. Plus, if you want turkey for Thanksgiving and there is only two of you and you don’t do HUGE turkey leftovers, then this is perfect for you.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Can You Air Fry A Turkey Thigh?
Yes, you can cook a turkey thigh in an air fryer, and it is incredible. In fact, I don’t ever recall having another turkey thigh that tasted this good.
It’s also similar to cooking a turkey thigh on the barbecue and you can dump it into the air fryer and come back when it is done.
Air Fryer Turkey Thigh Roast
Whilst you could just cook a turkey thigh in the air fryer and it will be amazing, what I really love to do is make an air fryer turkey thigh roast.
Think a full turkey roast dinner but in the air fryer.
What we have made with our turkey thighs roast in the air fryer is include the following:
Turkey Thigh – We had a bone in turkey thigh. It weighed just over 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) and was the perfect size for the centre of the air fryer basket to then cook sides around it.
Roast Potatoes – Next was the roast potatoes. You can make your own but frozen roast potatoes are ideal in the air fryer, they cook faster and are perfect for an easier option.
Brussel Sprouts – You can load in frozen or fresh sprouts into the air fryer basket and nothing says Christmas or Thanksgiving better than some roasted sprouts.
Parsnips – Any of your favourite bags of frozen parsnips work well in the air fryer. I like Iceland honey roasted parsnips or the frozen parsnips and carrots medley.
Stuffing – The easiest way to add stuffing to the air fryer for a quick side is to make stuffing balls. They are so easy to fit in the air fryer, plus easy to make too without needing extra air fryer accessories.
Gravy – You can also reheat some turkey gravy (or any other gravy) in the air fryer. Load it into your gravy boat, into a ramekin or whatever suits you.
Then what I also do is the fork test to make sure that the potatoes and sprouts are fork tender and to see how long they have left to cook.
Now just think about that for a moment. You are using the air fryer basket to make not only a turkey thigh roast, but also your meat, potatoes, stuffing and gravy too. Isn’t that just awesome?
You can also learn more about cooking these air fryer sides below:
- Air Fryer Frozen Roast Potatoes
- Air Fryer Frozen Brussel Sprouts
- Air Fryer Frozen Parsnips
- Air Fryer Stuffing Balls
- Air Fryer Chips & Gravy
Turkey Thigh Air Fryer Ingredients
Above I showed you what ingredients you would need if you were making a turkey roast dinner from a single turkey thigh, but what if you just want to use the air fryer to roast a thigh?
If that, is YOU, then all you need is the following ingredients:
Thigh – You can use any medium sized turkey thigh in the air fryer. Though note ours is bone in and if yours isn’t, then it wont need as long to cook.
Oil – I recommend some extra virgin olive oil in a spray bottle that you can spray onto the skin of the turkey. This will help create that wonderfully crispy skin.
Seasoning – Just like when you cook air fryer rump steak, a simple seasoning works best. That way you can enjoy the flavours of the turkey thigh. We used rosemary, chicken seasoning, salt and pepper in this recipe.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in our turkey thigh in the air fryer, it has just been our Philips Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes and roasts meats like turkey perfectly.
How To Cook Turkey Thighs In An Air Fryer?
- Prep. Start by prepping your turkey thigh. Smoother your turkey in extra virgin olive oil and then season well. The oil then becomes the glue for the seasoning and ensures a flavoursome turkey thigh.
- Cook. Load your turkey thigh into the air fryer basket and cook for 30 minutes. This will be the head start that the turkey thigh will need. Because the vegetables don’t need as long to cook as the thigh.
- Fill. Now the roast thigh has done its first 30 minutes its time to fill the gaps. Add in frozen sprouts, frozen parsnips, and frozen roast potatoes. Then cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Extras. Now when the air fryer beeps and your turkey thigh has done 50 minutes and your vegetables have done 20 minutes, its time for the last of the sides.
- Turn. You need to turn over your turkey thigh, remove the sides and put to one side. Cook the turkey upside down with the stuffing balls and the gravy.
- Serve. Once the air fryer beeps serve everything together and enjoy. If you feel the vegetables have got too cold in this time you can always reheat them in the air fryer for an extra 4 minutes at 160c/320f.
How Long To Cook Turkey Thighs In Air Fryer?
The turkey thigh air fryer time is JUST 62 minutes. This of course is for a full roast turkey dinner, using a turkey thigh.
I find this AMAZING for a cook time for a roast dinner, especially with all the different sides and the gravy that is involved in this air fryer dinner.
More Turkey Recipe Suggestions:
- Air Fryer Frozen Turkey Burgers
- Soup Maker Turkey Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Curry
- Slow Cooker Turkey Legs
- Instant Pot Frozen Turkey
- Instant Pot Turkey Neck Soup
Air Fryer Turkey Thighs
- Place turkey thigh into the air fryer basket and smoother with extra virgin olive oil. Then season well with rosemary and salt, and pepper. Cook for 30 minutes at 180c/360f.
- After 30 minutes add frozen parsnips, frozen roast potatoes and frozen sprouts into the gaps and cook for another 20 minutes at the same temperature.
- When the air fryer beeps remove the veggies and place in a serving dish and turn the turkey thigh over. Add stuffing balls and turkey gravy into the gaps and cook for a final 12 minutes at the same temperature.
- Optional. Whilst the turkey is resting and being sliced, reheat the sides for 4 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Plate everything up and enjoy.