This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Breast. How to cook a frozen turkey breast in the instant pot pressure cooker. Including a yummy homemade healthy gravy and crispy roast potatoes. Then all you need is the vegetables!
Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Breast
I love turkey. So, when I saw frozen turkey breast in my local supermarket outside of the festive season, I had it in my trolley before you could blink.
Not only was it a turkey out of season, but it was also reduced in price down to JUST 10€ from the regular 25€. Just think people were paying full price for these!
My first thought as I loaded the trolley up onto the tills to pay, well other than a 60% discount on a turkey, was how wonderful this 7 pound frozen turkey would be for making instant pot frozen turkey breast.
I could instant pot it from frozen, make it with my favourite homemade gravy and serve it with air fryer potatoes.
There would also be plenty of turkey breast left over to feed us for a few days.
Though when I loaded it into the car with Dominic, he rolled his eyes in the same way he rolls his eyes whenever I buy discounted turkeys.
Maybe I need Turkey anonymous for my obsession with them?
Can You Instant Pot A Frozen Turkey?
That is exactly what Dominic asked me on the drive home from the supermarket. I assured him that it was ideal for the instant pot and that I bet him it would fit.
Then I was wondering to myself is the instant pot big enough?
The instant pot was, but that is because we are using the instant pot 8 quart, so think of the size of your instant pot before you cook a frozen turkey breast in it.
Or do what I have done and double checked:
The Difference Between Turkey Breast & Turkey Crown?
The difference between turkey breast and turkey crown is cultural. On one side of the ocean in America it is referred to as the turkey breast, whilst in Britain its all about the turkey crown.
The turkey breast (or turkey crown) is everything on the turkey apart from the brown meat. Or often referred to as the good meat.
You don’t have turkey legs and turkey wings, just the turkey breast and it will always be bone in.
Instant Pot & Frozen Turkey
I love that cooking instant pot frozen turkey breast involves ingredients I already have in.
- Turkey – We used a shop bought frozen turkey that was frozen when we bought it. It weighed in at 3.4kg which is about 7lbs.
- Turkey Stock – We used turkey stock to cook the turkey breast, though you can swap this for chicken stock if you don’t have any turkey.
- Potatoes & Carrots – We sliced and diced a few for the bottom of the instant pot. The turkey breast will be sat on them and its ideal for making your turkey gravy with later.
- Seasoning – We kept it simple with salt, pepper, and bouquet garni. If you don’t have bouquet garni a mix of your favourite herbs will do such as mixed herbs or an Italian seasoning.
How To Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Breast?
The quick version of cooking frozen turkey breast in the instant pot goes as follows:
- Sauté an onion in the instant pot.
- Add in carrots and potatoes.
- Load in frozen turkey breast.
- Pressure cook + brown + carve.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
Instant Pot Turkey Breast & Gravy
You are probably thinking, why is she adding potatoes and carrots into the instant pot when they will turn to mush?
That after the turkey breast cooking time that they will be so mushy that all they are fit for is soup.
Well the potatoes and carrots are going to be the base for the homemade gravy.
The turkey will be sat on them and the juices will make these carrots and potatoes so flavoursome.
Then when done these potatoes and carrots and turkey juices go into the blender to make gravy.
Instant Pot Turkey Breast With Potatoes
Based on the cooking time, you are probably wondering how the potatoes come to be. Well I use my air fryer and make a batch of air fryer roast potatoes.
I will prep them when my turkey breast starts cooking but cook them when the air fryer crisp lid is doing its thing on the turkey breast.
Then the roast potatoes are ready to be served with your turkey breast.
Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Roast
If you would like your turkey crispy and to be more like a traditional turkey roast, then you need to give it a quick blast with an air fryer lid.
When the pressure cooking has finished, load it up with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and bouquet garni. Then add the air fryer lid and cook for a further 6 minutes.
How Long To Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Breast?
The instant pot cook time for frozen turkey breast is 80 minutes. Though note, that your instant pot is full of the frozen turkey and will take a little while to go to pressure.
You don’t need a natural pressure release and can do QPR and also need to plan for an extra 6 minutes for your air fryer lid to make the skin crispy.
Instant Pot Frozen 7lb Turkey Breast
Note that the instant frozen turkey breast that we are cooking in the instant pot is a 7 pound one.
Therefore, if yours is smaller you need to adjust the instant pot cook time.
I recommend reducing in 10 minute sessions. For example:
- Instant pot frozen 6lb turkey = Focus on a cook time of 70 minutes
- Instant Pot frozen 5lb turkey = Focus on a cook time of 60 minutes
Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Breast
- Peel and dice an onion and sauté in the instant pot. Once sautéed click cancel.
- Peel and dice potatoes and carrots add to the instant pot.
- Add to the instant pot your turkey stock and load your frozen turkey breast with its packaging removed on top of the carrots and potatoes.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook for 80 minutes on manual or pressure cook setting. When it beeps use quick pressure release.
- Remove the lid and spray the skin of the turkey with extra virgin olive oil. Season where you have sprayed with salt, pepper, and bouquet garni. Add the air fryer lid and put it on for 6 minutes at 260c/500f
- Remove the turkey from the instant pot and allow to rest. Drain the juices from the instant pot and remove any bits of turkey bone that have come loose. Load potatoes, carrots and leftover turkey stock into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Slice your turkey breast and load onto dinner plates with your turkey gravy and roast potatoes if you have made them. You can also serve with some vegetables and stuffing too.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: