How do you get tender asparagus? You make microwave asparagus of course. It is tender, it is flavoursome, it is fast, and you will want to cook it every day in the microwave.
I will show you how to microwave asparagus the easy way and you will love this almost no prep microwave veggie side.
Table of Contents
Asparagus In Microwave
Back in February, we did something really fun and dedicated the month of February to a different microwave recipe.
Whilst we answered the sweet tooth with some microwave fudge, our favourite part was using the microwave to steam lots of favourite veggies.
And after all the experimenting we did around microwaving veggies we found that we fell in love with the process more and more.
Now whenever we make our air fryer frittata on a Sunday morning for meal prep for weekday breakfasts, we always steam the veggies first in the microwave.
Also, February was a short month and I wanted to show you even more steamed veggies this week that you can microwave, starting today with asparagus in the microwave.
You will love how fast and easy prep microwave asparagus is and how you can microwave it, whilst you prep the rest of your dinner.
How Do You Get Tender Asparagus?
When you cook asparagus in the microwave you can the best most tender asparagus. Forget doing asparagus in the frying pan or skillet and then it not been tender enough, or the same problem with the grill.
Instead, the microwave will give a complete tender texture to your asparagus without overcooking it.
Can You Microwave Asparagus?
Yes, you can. You will be amazed by how good, steamed asparagus in the microwave is. Don’t expect rubber asparagus, as you get tender asparagus that will rival cooking it in other kitchen gadgets such as instant pot asparagus.
Whilst I adore instant pot asparagus, the microwave alternative is faster and you don’t need to wait for the microwave to go to pressure.
Best Way To Steam Asparagus In Microwave?
The best way (and easiest way) to steam asparagus in the microwave is to buy a microwave steamer bowl. They are similar to a mixing bowl that you would use for seasoning veggies in, but instead it’s made of silicone, and you add a little bit of water to turn it into a steamer basket.
Its really as simple as loading veggies into it, seasoning plus water and you have the best way to steam asparagus.
This is the steamer basket we personally used, and it was really good value for money and has done A LOT of microwave steaming.
How Do You Get The Water Out Of Asparagus?
The water comes out of the asparagus like magic thanks to the process of steaming in the microwave. The excess water goes into the bottom of the steamer basket as it cooks making your asparagus more flavoursome and less watery.
Would you like easy & amazing microwave recipes from microwave experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST microwave beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful microwave resources.
Asparagus Microwave Ingredients
Asparagus – I recommend using 1-2 packs of fresh asparagus. Any more than two and it can become overloaded and it can be hard to keep the flavours and cook it properly.
Water – To steam asparagus in the microwave you will need a tablespoon of water into the bottom of your steamer basket.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your asparagus I recommend you keep it simple with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
Optional – I love cooking asparagus in the microwave with a little butter or margarine. It gives a lovely texture and really gives them the wow factor. You can also keep this low calorie by using a light margarine such as I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter Light.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this asparagus microwave recipe it has just been our Panasonic Microwave Oven. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of microwave recipes.
As well as your microwave you will need a good steamer basket that will fit in your microwave. We recommend this one.
How To Cook Asparagus In The Microwave?
- Liquid. Start by adding a tablespoon of water to the bottom of your steamer basket. This is so that you can perfectly steam your asparagus.
- Prep. Using a vegetable knife chop the end off the asparagus whilst it is still tied in a bunch and then make sure it fits the size of your steamer basket.
- Load. Remove the band from the asparagus and add the asparagus to the steamer basket. Season well and then place the steamer lid on.
- Microwave. Then place the lid on your steamer and then load your steamer basket into the microwave. Microwave your asparagus for 4 minutes. Though check from 2 minutes as your microwave might be more powerful than mine.
- Butter. Then if you would like butter over your asparagus, remove the steamer lid, add butter and microwave for an extra 30 seconds.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to steam asparagus in microwave and why it is a firm favourite of mine for a quick veggie side dish for dinner.
How Long To Microwave Asparagus?
How To Cook Asparagus In Microwave With Butter?
The simple way to add butter to asparagus is to do it once the asparagus has cooked. Then remove the steamer lid, add butter, and then cook for a further 30 seconds.
That extra 30 seconds will melt the butter into the asparagus and make it taste even more amazing.
Can You Reheat Asparagus?
Yes, you can reheat the asparagus in the microwave, regardless of whether or not the asparagus was originally cooked in the microwave.
Simply load the leftover asparagus into a dish or container that is microwave friendly, and then microwave with some extra butter and seasoning for 90 seconds.
Microwave Asparagus Tips & Tricks
- Trim the asparagus to size whilst it is still wrapped up. It means you only slice it once and saves a lot of prep time.
- You can keep the seasoning simple of asparagus with just salt and pepper and then add your favourite dried herbs.
- For the ultimate healthy lunch serve your asparagus with our air fryer frozen salmon.
- If you have leftovers, leave in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave the next day.
Top Microwave Trick – Add the water first, as you don’t want to be pouring water over your just seasoned veggies. Then add asparagus and you are ready to microwave.
More Microwave Recipes
- Microwave Corn On The Cob
- Microwave Jacket Potatoes
- Microwave Poached Eggs
- Microwave Soft Boiled Eggs
- Microwave Hard Boiled Eggs
Your microwave asparagus recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
- Place one tablespoon of water in the bottom of your steamer basket.
- Using a vegetable knife chop the ends off your bunch of asparagus and make sure it fits to the size of your steamer basket. Then give them a wash and add to the steamer basket.
- Add your seasonings and mix with your hands for an even coating.
- Place the lid on the steamer and then place in the microwave.
- Microwave for 4 minutes. Though check on it at 2 minutes as your wattage might be higher than ours.
- When it beeps do a fork text and then increase the cook time if needed.
- Once cooked leave the steamer lid off, add a little butter and cook for a further 30 seconds to melt the butter onto the asparagus before serving.