This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Delicious perfectly cooked microwave zucchini. Steam zucchini in the microwave with my easy, cheesy, speedy, Mediterranean inspired recipe.
Whether you call it microwave zucchini or microwave courgette, you will love it loaded with parmesan for a quick healthy veggie side dish.
Table of Contents
An American reader of Recipe This, told me something a while back, that made me promise myself I would never take for granted all the zucchini that I eat.
She told me that where she lives in the US, which has cold winters, zucchini is either not available or really expensive.
At the time, we lived in sunny Portugal, and I bought maybe 6 large zucchinis a week, all year round and couldn’t imagine a limited season.
We made air fryer zucchini fritters (kids favourite supper), zucchini fries, stews and casseroles with them in the instant pot, used them to make a slimming world pasta in the slow cooker, or just for a quick veggie that we could cook for dinner.
Now back living in England I notice the zucchini is smaller, perfect looking, but still readily available.
As I am working our way through our microwave month, I wanted to share with you microwave zucchini.
You can make our microwave zucchini when it’s in season or make our recipe and then freeze it for another day. Then you can use the microwave to reheat it when its too expensive to be buying from the supermarket.
Can You Cook Zucchini In The Microwave?
Yes, you can. Cooking zucchini in the microwave is amazing and I highly recommend you give it a try and see if you like it as much as we do.
You can microwave zucchini slices, do a whole zucchini, peel the zucchini if you want to. The choices are endless.
Though I do recommend steaming zucchini in the microwave with a steamer basket. It keeps the flavour; it reduces the water from the zucchini and you can cook your zucchini a lot faster.
Can You Steam Zucchini?
Yes, you sure can. You are probably thinking that zucchini belongs in a stir fry, in the air fryer, or on the grill to barbecue.
But when you steam zucchini it’s the healthiest way to cook it, you keep the flavour, and you get a good water reduction into the bottom of the steamer basket.
And even better, you can use a steamer basket in the microwave to cook your zucchini!
Do You Peel Zucchini?
Peeling the zucchini is personal choice. I love the skin on the zucchini and rarely peel it. Though it depends on how you are serving your zucchini.
When I microwave zucchini, I opt for zucchini slices. It is then similar to my air fryer zucchini cheese pizza slices but swapping the air fryer for the microwave.
Would you like easy & amazing microwave recipes from microwave experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST microwave beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful microwave resources.
Microwave Zucchini Recipe Ingredients
Zucchini – I recommend for cooking zucchini in the microwave, that you use a couple of medium sized zucchinis. You can mix and match and use any leftover ones or swap it for a mix of summer squash.
Water – To steam zucchini in the microwave you will need a tablespoon of water into the bottom of your steamer basket.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your zucchini I love to keep it Mediterranean. With salt, pepper, parsley, dill, basil, oregano, and garlic powder.
Cheese – Then for the finishing touches on your microwave zucchini slices I am adding parmesan cheese and some extra oregano.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this microwave zucchini recipe it has just been our Panasonic Microwave Oven. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of microwave recipes.
As well as your microwave you will need a good steamer basket that will fit in your microwave. We recommend this one.
How To Cook Zucchini In Microwave?
- Liquid. Start by adding a tablespoon of water to the bottom of your steamer basket. This is so that you can perfectly steam your zucchini.
- Prep. Slice your zucchini into medium slices. Then load into the steamer with your seasonings and then with your hands mix the seasoning into the zucchini slices.
- Microwave. Then place the lid on your steamer and then load your steamer basket into the microwave. Microwave your zucchini for 4 minutes. Then remove the lid, shake the zucchini and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Load. Next move the zucchini from the steamer basket into a serving dish that fits into your microwave. Be careful to not take the water from the zucchini with you. Then coat with a little extra oregano and grated parmesan cheese. Then load back into the microwave to melt the cheese for a further 2 minutes before serving.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to steam zucchini in the microwave and why it is a firm favourite of mine for a quick veggie side dish for dinner.
How Long To Steam Zucchini In Microwave?
Microwave zucchini cook time is JUST 6 minutes. This is for perfectly cooked steamed zucchini that you can serve for dinner.
Then an extra 2 minutes for melting the parmesan cheese on top, once the zucchini has finished being steamed.
Listen To Microwave Steamed Courgette/Zucchini
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Microwave Vegetable Recipes
- How To Steam Carrots In Microwave
- How To Steam Broccoli In Microwave
- How To Steam Cauliflower In Microwave
- How To Steam Cabbage In Microwave
- How To Steam Green Beans In Microwave
- Microwave Frozen Broccoli
Plus, we also have a fantastic FREE microwave cooking times chart, and you can receive it for FREE and download it in PDF when you subscribe to the Recipe This Newsletter.
Your microwave zucchini recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
How To Steam Zucchini In Microwave
- Place one tablespoon of water in the bottom of your steamer basket.
- Using a vegetable knife slice the zucchini into medium slices. If it needs it, give your zucchini a wash with your colander. Then add to the steamer basket.
- Add your seasonings reserving half of the oregano for later and mix with your hands for an even coating.
- Place the lid on the steamer and then place in the microwave.
- Microwave for 4 minutes. Shake and then microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid, allow the steam to release, and do a fork test to make sure the zucchini is fork tender.
- Then transfer to a serving dish that will fit in your microwave. Sprinkle with the last of the oregano and cover with grated parmesan cheese. Microwave for 2 further minutes before serving.