The ultimate meat pie in the air fryer. Delicious Aussie style meat pie filling, loaded into ramekins with a puff pastry crust. Homemade pie in the air fryer doesn’t get any better than this.
Even better, you can use your leftover stew as the filling for these amazing air fryer pies.
Table of Contents
Air Fryer Meat Pie
Over Christmas we experimented with our latest kitchen gadget….our pie maker. It’s a brilliant little machine that will make two mini pies at once. The pies are perfectly cooked, they cook fast, and you can use them with many different fillings.
One of the pies we made was pie maker meat pies. We made the classic Australian meat pie filling in the instant pot, then loaded up the pie maker with delicious homemade meat pies.
It was whilst we were making these meat pies, that we thought an air fryer meat pie should also be on the agenda.
We loaded meat pie filling into our favourite ramekins, added our pie crust on top and air fried them.
Our air fryer meat pies were so delicious, that I had to share them with you today. If you love meat pie and want to know if you can do a fresh meat pie in the air fryer, then this is how it is done!
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Cook Pies In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. I have been making pies in the air fryer now for a number of years. My first ever air fryer pie was air fryer frozen chicken pot pies, but there are a lot of different options.
I recommend you start with some roast dinner leftovers and transform them into mini pies in the air fryer. Then you can mix and match flavours and find some you really like.
Can You Cook Meat Pie In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can, and you will love how delicious meat pie in the air fryer is. You can also use the air fryer to reheat your meat pie too.
But air fryer meat pies will take longer to cook than a pie maker. This is because when you cook food in the air fryer, in a container, it slows down the air around the food and slows down the cook time.
For example, pie maker meat pies take JUST 12 minutes, whilst air fryer meat pies take 17 minutes.
Order The Complete Air Fryer Cookbook Now!
- USA/Canada: Amazon USA – Amazon Canada
- UK/Rest Of The World: Amazon UK – Amazon AU
- Cookbook Details: More Order Options + Cookbook Info
Cooking Pies In Air Fryer
I am sure the cooking of pies in the air fryer is a new concept to you. After all, the air fryer is not something I would have considered when I first got one, as the pie way.
You have two main options:
Ramekins – This is the best for a smaller pie, and you can make some individual ramekin mini pies in the air fryer. I love this for leftovers, and you can make them ahead and leave the ramekins in the fridge and then air fry them when you are hungry.
Pie Dish – I have used pie dishes in the air fryer before and have found some that fit the size of my air fryer. My only complaint is that you are waiting a long time for them to cook, because the air is not circulating around the air fryer as well.
Then you can use the air fryer to make your pie filling, or just use leftovers like we are doing today.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Meat Pie Air Fryer Ingredients
Pastry – I recommend topping your fresh meat pie in the air fryer with either shortcrust pastry, using our air fryer pie crust, or you swap this for puff pastry. Though its personal choice with what you prefer. Plus, because you are just topping a ramekin, you don’t need a lot of pastry to make four air fryer pies.
Egg – If you want a beautiful golden glow on your homemade meat pies, then I recommend some egg wash. You only need a little bit of a small egg, but I prefer to use a large and the leftovers go towards my air fryer egg cups.
Fillings – Then I recommend you make your filling first. Check out our pie maker meat pie as it includes in detail how I make homemade meat pie filling with the instant pot. You can also use leftovers from a previous dinner.
Ramekins – These are my air fryer best friend. Using ramekins in the air fryer is fantastic for small food portions and brilliant for individual meat pies. I have an average sized air fryer and can fit in 4 ramekins at once for my pies.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer meat pies recipe it has just been our Cosori Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make Fresh Meat Pie In Air Fryer?
- Filling. I recommend you start by making your meat filling. Though if you are using leftover beef, you can skip this step. I also recommend doing this the day before as then it is less pressure on the day.
- Mix. Mix your meat with Worcester sauce and tomato paste to create a creamy meat pie filling.
- Load. Next load into the ramekins.
- Roll. Next roll out the pastry for the top of your meat pies. Then add the filling, then add the top and then add your egg wash.
- Cook. Then cook until you have golden mini meat pies. This took approximately 17 minutes at 180c/360f with our air fryer.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook meat pie in an air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
How Long To Cook Meat Pie In Air Fryer?
The meat pie air fryer time is JUST 17 minutes. This for making meat pie cooked in air fryer ramekins which is a bit faster compared to a large pie dish.
Or for a bit of fun, you could also make them in silicone muffin cups and if you do this you can trim an extra 2 minutes off the cook time and do them in 15 minutes.
I also recommend a fork test to make sure they are piping hot in the centre. And you know your meat pies in the air fryer are done when the filling is hot through.
Reheating Meat Pies In Air Fryer
You can also use the air fryer to reheat your already cooked meat pies. Simply place your meat pies into the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes at 160c/320f.
Meat Pie Air Fryer Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Add lots of egg wash. If you don’t use enough egg wash, then they won’t go wonderfully brown and will look anaemic.
- Also add egg wash to the corners as you pat down your pastry as it will help them stick and stop them coming off during the cooking process.
- Whatever you do, don’t overfill the ramekins otherwise the filling will take a long, long time to heat through.
- Always use already cooked meat pie filling.
- You can make the pie crust more flavoursome by seasoning it with salt, pepper, parsley etc before rolling out.
Interesting Air Fryer Trick – Spray your ramekins with extra virgin olive oil prior to air frying. It will reduce the clean up of the ramekins.
Air Fryer Food Safety – Note that you can only reheat your meat once. Therefore only cook as many meat pies as they are going to eat right now. Place the rest (already prepped) in the fridge ready for air frying later.
Listen To Air Fryer Meat Pie
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Pies In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Pot Pie
- Air Fryer Turkey Pot Pie
- Air Fryer Pie Crust
- Air Fryer Apple Pie
- Air Fryer Mince Pies
- Air Fryer Cookie Dough Pie
Your meat pie air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Meat Pie In Air Fryer
- Roll out your pie crust or puff pastry so that it will fit over your ramekins and spray your ramekins with extra virgin olive oil to reduce the sticking.
- Load meat pie filling into your ramekins. Then cover with your pastry. Press down the puff pastry lid. Snip the top of the pie with scissors to allow your pie to breathe as it cooks. Then brush with egg wash.
- Place your ramekins into the air fryer basket and then air fry for 17 minutes at 180c/360f or until your pies are golden and piping hot in the centre.