This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Apple Pie. Delicious warm apple pie cooked in the air fryer. This ultimate air fryer apple pie is cooked from scratch, with homemade pie crust and is the wow factor for serving to family and friends.
This is also part of our air fryer pie series. And shows you just how easy it is to cook pie in the air fryer.
Updated in 2016 and again in 2021 you will love this apple pie air fryer recipe.
Apple Pie In Air Fryer
I grew up with homemade apple pie as the staple family pudding. My dad is a huge fan of it, and he would always ask my mum to make it. Before then I believe that my Grandma used to make it for him.
It would be served with whipped cream, ice cream or custard and there would never be any left.
But because Dominic hates apple pie it is something that we rarely have as we often want to have something that we all love. So, it has become something that I have forgotten about for the last decade or so.
So here I am getting reunited with my apple pie and showing that it can be modernised with the help of your air fryer.
I like apple pie the most in the air fryer, because it can make the pie crust so lovely and crispy and give it a golden glow.
I originally shared with you how to make air fryer apple pie ramekins and that was because the air fryer that we owned was the air fryer basket type and was never big enough for homemade apple pie, or the pie pans that people use in an air fryer oven.
So, when we upgraded to the air fryer oven, air fryer apple pie was the top of our list. It feels so good that after talking about making a homemade apple pie in the air fryer oven for so long, that we are finally getting around to making one for you.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Can You Cook Apple Pie In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook an apple pie in the air fryer. Air fryer apple pie whether cooked from scratch or using a shop bought frozen one, is fantastic in the air fryer.
You get the best crispy pie crust thanks to the air fryer, which is much better than the pie crust you achieve when baking an apple pie in the oven.
Plus, remember the air fryer cooks food faster than the oven!
Can You Bake A Pie In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. You can cook any pie in the air fryer. From an air fryer frozen chicken pot pie to a tasty Aussie meat pie to dessert pies such as an air fried apple pie.
You can place the pie in the air fryer, add some egg wash or extra virgin olive oil and then let the air fryer work its magic.
If it a sweet pie such as cherry pie, you can also sprinkle with sugar and the top of the pie crust with glow like it does from a bakery.
Air Fryer Apple Pie From Scratch
I know some of you that will be reading our air fryer apple pie, will have seasonal apples and a shop bought pie crust. Well here in the Milner’s we love to make our own homemade air fryer pie crust.
It is something that I have made for a long time and I couldn’t imagine not making a pie crust. It means I know EXACTLY what goes into the pie crust and I can mix it up with my favourite seasonings such as adding cinnamon for making homemade apple pie.
As well as this, I love how cheap it is to make my own pie crust and I also find it to be like therapy, as baking really chills me out when I am feeling stressed.
But if you are using your own shop bought pie crust, you can skip the air fryer pie crust stage and go straight to the apple stage.
Air Fryer Pie Pan
My air fryer apple pie is all about that air fryer pie pan. This is the one we have, and it is the perfect size and shape for making an air fryer apple pie. We currently have one round and one oval shaped and they are perfect.
They are also non-stick, and I have found as I remove the slices of apple pie from the pie pan that they come away easily without needing a deep soak.
You can also hold down the pie pan over your rolled out pastry and easily cut around it and then efficiently add your pie crust to your pie pan.
Like you see in this photo:
Then when you put the top layer on your apple pie you can layer it over the top of your pie pan, and it makes it so much easier to do.
Then you use a knife and trim around the edges and add any patterns you want to on your apple pie pastry, and don’t forget your holes on top to help the apple pie breathe.
I also finish off with egg wash at helps give it that beautiful golden glow that we all love to see in an apple pie.
I love to look at it once it has the egg wash on and think of the little work that went into putting it together and the excitement of the warm apple pie that I will have once it has been in the air fryer oven.
Air Fryer Oven Apple Pie
The benefit of using the air fryer oven for making air fryer apple pie is that you can easily make 3 apple pies at once and you’re not as restricted with the size of your apple pie.
You then juggle the shelves by swapping it over to make sure they all have a chance to properly cook.
If you’re starting out with the air fryer oven and using it to make your apple pies, I recommend you start with one apple pie and as you build up your confidence you can make more than one at once.
How To Cook Apple Pie Using Air Fryer?
- Prep. Make your pie crust and roll it out. Place your pie pan over it and cut it out so that you can quickly get your apple pie crust to the correct shape.
- Apples. Peel and dice your apple chunks into equal shapes. Load them into your pie pan on top of your bottom crust.
- Season. Sprinkle with your favourite apple pie seasonings such as sugar and cinnamon.
- Finish. Add the top pie crust to the pie pan and using scissors trim the edges and make sure you have cut a hole in the centre of the pie so that it can breathe. Also add egg wash to the top of your pie.
- Cook. Place the apple pie in the air fryer on the medium shelf.
Tips For Perfect Air Fryer Apple Pie
- Apple size matters. Aim for small chunks of apple that are a similar size. If you don’t you will end up with chunks of apple undercooked and others overcooked and then a few just right and it can ruin your apple pie.
- No blind baking. I know in some countries blind baking your pie crust is a thing. But you really don’t need to blind bake pastry unless you are making a no bake pie.
- Use your pie pan as a pie cutter. That way you’re not rolling it out and second guessing. Makes adding your pie crust to your pie pan much easier.
- Don’t forget the egg wash. It makes such a difference to an apple pie and gives it that wonderful golden glow.
- Add your chunks of apple into your pie pan as you slice. That way you can see exactly how much apple will fit in your pie pan and you can double check that the chunks of apple are of a similar size.
- As many apples as you can fit is what you want to work towards. Because an apple pie is nicest when it is fully loaded and by getting the apple chunks in the gaps, your apple pie can turn out better.
How Long To Air Fry Apple Pie?
Apple pie baked in the air fryer takes JUST 30 minutes. Just think that is half an hour for a delicious homemade warm apple pie cooked from scratch using your air fryer.
A true winner for me and remember you can mix and match and do similar for an air fryer pumpkin pie, air fryer cherry pie, air fryer plum pie and so many others.
More Delicious Air Fryer Desserts
- Air Fryer Sponge Cake
- Air Fryer Chocolate Cake
- Air Fryer Mug Cakes
- Air Fryer Chocolate Muffins
- Air Fryer Giant Doughnut Cake
Air Fryer Oven Apple Pie
- Roll out your pie crust and place it into the bottom of your pie pan.
- Place your just peeled and diced apples, along with your lemon, cinnamon and nutmeg into the pie pan and push it down and make sure there are no apple gaps.
- Add the second layer of pie crust over your apples and press down. Stab with a knife in the middle to allow the pie room to breathe and using a pastry brush add a layer of egg wash.
- Place on the middle shelf in the air fryer oven and cook for 30 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Serve with either cream, ice cream or custard.