The ultimate chicken pot pie in the air fryer. Delicious chicken and vegetables tossed in a creamy sauce, loaded into ramekins with a puff pastry crust. If you love pie, then you will love this pot pie air fryer recipe.
Even better, you can use your leftover rotisserie chicken or mix and match your own favourite ingredients.
Pot Pie In Air Fryer
When I first got an air fryer way back in 2011, I never thought that I would be buying pretty ramekins all these years later to make yummy pot pie in the air fryer.
Now my kitchen cupboard is stocked with more than 16 pretty ramekins that I use for various air fryer recipes. From air fryer baked oatmeal to air fryer banana souffles, they are a big part of my air fryer cooking.
So, when we were making pie maker chicken pies last week, I just had to save some of the pie filling and use the air fryer to make some delicious pot pies. And if you like other flavoured pot pies do check out our air fryer meat pies that we featured yesterday.
We use the air fryer to cook the chicken and to cook the chicken pot pie, making it an amazing time saver and perfect for when you have a little chicken leftover and want a quick and easy dinner idea.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Cook A Pot Pie In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. I have been cooking pot pies in the air fryer for a number of years now and absolutely love them.
A pot pie in the air fryer is often better than an oven because it cooks your pot pie quicker and you also get a much better golden glow on your pastry.
Can You Cook Chicken Pot Pie In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can, and you can do any pot pie in the air fryer. Whether it is a chicken pot pie, vegetarian pot pie, meat pot pie, or even a fish pot pie.
You can also use the air fryer to cook your chicken first, if not using leftovers. You can also use the air fryer to cook your vegetables if you are making an air fryer chicken and vegetable pie.
Can You Use Ramekins In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can, and ramekins is one of the best air fryer accessories ever! You can usually fit up 4 ramekins in the air fryer at once, they are easy to place in and out of the air fryer and they cook a pot pie much faster compared to a baking dish.
You see, whilst you can use a baking dish in the air fryer, its often too big which slows down the cook time because of the way the air circulates around the food.
But ramekins because they are smaller are much better for the air fryer. You can do a pie for one, or ramekins are good for when you have a small portion of leftovers.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Chicken Pot Pie Air Fryer Ingredients
Pastry – I recommend topping your air fryer chicken pot pie in the air fryer with either shortcrust pastry, using our air fryer pie crust, or you swap this for puff pastry. Though its personal choice with what you prefer. Plus, because you are just topping a ramekin, you don’t need a lot of pastry to make four air fryer pies.
Egg – If you want a beautiful golden glow on your air fryer pot pies, then I recommend some egg wash. You only need a little bit of a small egg, but I prefer to use a large and the leftovers go towards my air fryer egg cups.
Fillings – Then I recommend you make your filling first. I recommend chicken thighs (boneless and skinless) because they are more flavoursome and taste amazing in an air fryer pot pie. You can then air fry some chicken thighs, then toss them in a bowl with some leftover veggies and some cream cheese.
Ramekins – These are my air fryer best friend. Using ramekins in the air fryer is fantastic for small food portions and brilliant for individual chicken pies. I have an average sized air fryer and can fit in 4 ramekins at once for my pies.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer chicken pot pies recipe it has just been our Philips Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Cook A Pot Pie In An Air Fryer?
- Filling. I recommend you start by making your chicken pie filling. Cook some chicken thighs in the air fryer and then toss in some leftover vegetables with cream cheese, seasoning and frozen peas. Though if you are using leftover chicken, you can skip this step. I also recommend doing this the day before as then it is less pressure on the day.
- Load. Next load into the ramekins.
- Roll. Next roll out the pastry for the top of your pot pie in the air fryer. Then add the chicken filling, then add the top and then add your egg wash.
- Cook. Then cook until you have golden mini chicken pot pies. This took approximately 17 minutes at 180c/360f with our air fryer.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook pot pie in an air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
How Long To Cook Pot Pie In Air Fryer?
The pot pie air fryer time is JUST 17 minutes. This for making chicken pie cooked in air fryer ramekins which is a bit faster compared to a large pie dish.
Or for a bit of fun, you could also make them in silicone muffin cups and if you do this you can trim an extra 2 minutes off the cook time and do them in 15 minutes.
I also recommend a fork test to make sure they are piping hot in the centre. And you know your chicken pies in the air fryer are done when the filling is hot through.
Though if you are also cooking your chicken in the air fryer for your pot pie, you will need to add an extra 10 minutes for this.
Air Fryer Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Add lots of egg wash. If you don’t use enough egg wash, then they won’t go wonderfully brown and will look anaemic.
- Also add egg wash to the corners as you pat down your pastry as it will help them stick and stop them coming off during the cooking process.
- Whatever you do, don’t overfill the ramekins otherwise the filling will take a long, long time to heat through.
- You can make the pie crust more flavoursome by seasoning it with salt, pepper, parsley etc before rolling out.
Interesting Air Fryer Trick – Spray your ramekins with extra virgin olive oil prior to air frying. It will reduce the clean up of the ramekins.
Air Fryer Food Safety – Note that you can only reheat your meat once. Therefore, only cook as many chicken pies as they are going to eat right now. Place the rest (already prepped) in the fridge ready for air frying later.
More Pies In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Pot Pie
- Air Fryer Turkey Pot Pie
- Air Fryer Pie Crust
- Air Fryer Apple Pie
- Air Fryer Mince Pies
- Air Fryer Cookie Dough Pie
Your chicken pot pie air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Chicken Pot Pie In Air Fryer
- Roll out your pie crust or puff pastry so that it will fit over your ramekins and spray your ramekins with extra virgin olive oil to reduce the sticking.
- Place chicken thighs into the air fryer basket and season well with salt, pepper, and parsley. Air fry for 10 minutes at 180c/360f.
- When the air fryer beeps dice your chicken thighs and load into a bowl with leftover veggies, cream cheese, wine, milk, and stir. Then add in frozen peas and stir again.
- Load chicken pot pie filling into your ramekins. Then cover with your pastry. Press down the puff pastry lid. Snip the top of the pie with scissors to allow your pie to breathe as it cooks.
- Then brush with egg wash.
- Place your ramekins into the air fryer basket and then air fry for 17 minutes at 180c/360f or until your pies are golden and piping hot in the centre.