Air Fryer Bread And Butter Pudding
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Let me introduce you to delicious and simple air fryer bread and butter pudding. Loaded with leftover stale wholemeal bread, cream, butter, and raisins, this is what air fryer desserts are all about.
Originally made over Christmas last year for the air fryer, you will love the seasonal twists to old fashioned bread and butter pudding.
Our air fryer bread and butter pudding recipe were originally shared in 2016 and we are updating it today with new photos and even more great tips.
Old Fashioned Bread And Butter Pudding
I love the recipe requests we get at Recipe This and creating recipes that people truly want (you can submit your own when you join our weekly newsletter) and it amazes me how many times I get requests for old fashioned recipes.
Things like slow cooker corned beef hash, slow cooker porridge, slow cooker rice pudding, instant pot swiss steak, instant pot beef stew and dumplings, and air fryer chicken pot pie.
All of these and many more, have been requested over the last couple of years.
And the beyond these old fashioned requests, many emails saying how much they love my old fashioned recipes because it reminds them of childhood and to keep them coming!
Well, today is another to join the old fashioned classics that I miss from childhood and that is old fashioned bread and butter pudding cooked in the air fryer.
Yes, you heard right.
Bread and butter pudding in the air fryer.
This is the best bread and butter pudding I have ever made and is perfect for a smaller portion for 1-2 people that don’t want to waste money by turning on the oven.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
What Is Bread And Butter Pudding?
Bread and butter pudding is a delicious old school dessert. The kind of thing your grandma made and that your grandma’s grandma made.
Bread and butter pudding is essentially a great alternative to air fryer French toast for making use of that leftover stale bread.
Stale bread, raisins and egg, cream and butter mixture come together to make heaven in a dish.
Traditionally baked in the oven, bread and butter pudding is perfect for filling you up after a lighter main course. Such as having this after enjoying our soup maker chicken soup.
What Is Bread Pudding?
Many people ask me what is bread pudding and how does it compare to bread and butter pudding.
Well, bread pudding is what people have in the USA and bread and butter pudding is what people have that live in the UK.
Simple as that.
And when I asked an American friend to describe bread pudding they called it stale bread cooked in egg custard.
Meaning that a bread pudding, whilst similar, has a different mixture covering the bread, but they taste similar.
Is Bread Pudding Served Hot Or Cold?
You can have bread pudding, or bread and butter pudding hot or cold. But personally, I think it tastes awful cold.
Its like when you have a traditional dinner, and someone serves it cold. You eat it, but you wish it was hot.
How Long Does Bread And Butter Pudding Keep?
Bread and butter pudding will keep for 3 days if in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Though because we are showing you how to make a smaller bread and butter pudding that is suitable for 1-2 people, you shouldn’t have much leftover.
Quick Bread And Butter Pudding
For our bread and butter pudding we are keeping it quick and simple and going with ingredients that we have in.
I originally made this air fryer easy bread and butter pudding over Christmas and was on a mission to make use out of leftovers.
I had never been able to get brandy butter or brandy cream before and had loads in the fridge. So of course, these two ingredients became the butter and cream needed to make the pudding.
Then Jorge’s supply of raisins (he loves them) went into the pudding too.
You can also make bread pudding with leftover French toast and then skip the first warming up of the bread step in this recipe.
But most of all, take note that your bread and butter pudding recipe is all about your basics. What basic ingredients you have in already that can make a cheap as chips dessert.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Bread And Butter Pudding Ingredients
Bread – Bread for bread pudding can be any stale bread that you have in that needs using up. We went with some wholemeal bread that needed using up that we had forgotten about.
Batter – Then for the batter you will need eggs, cream, caster sugar, cinnamon and vanilla essence. These are then all mixed in a bowl to make your bread and butter pudding taste amazing.
Oil – You will also need some extra virgin olive oil spray so that you can spray the bottom of your air fryer basket so that the batter wont stick to it.
Extras – Then for finishing off your basic bread and butter pudding you will need butter, raisins, and butter.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this bread and butter pudding air fryer recipe it has just been our Cosori Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make Bread And Butter Pudding?
- Mix. In a bowl add your eggs and mix them with the cream, sugar, vanilla essence, and cinnamon.
- Coat. Cut your stale bread into chunks and coat in the batter.
- Prep. Then prep the air fryer by spraying with extra virgin olive oil spray and then using a pastry brush to make sure it is fully coated.
- Cook. Load the bread bits into the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes.
- Load. Next load the bread bits into an air fryer container, along with any smaller bits that was too small for air frying.
- Cover. Then cover with milk, raisins, and butter before air frying until crisp.
- Finish. Then for the final touch add some icing sugar before serving.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook bread and butter pudding in the air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
How To Make Bread And Butter Pudding With Cream?
Adding the cream to your bread and butter pudding really does give it the wow factor and I highly recommend doing so.
You can use any cream. Whether that is single cream, double cream or even mascarpone.
I made this bread and butter pudding with Christmas leftovers and added brandy cream which made it even more delicious than basic cream.
How Long To Cook Bread Pudding In Air Fryer?
I recommend an air fryer cook time for your air fryer bread pudding of JUST 10 minutes.
Yes, just 10 minutes to make delicious bread pudding in the air fryer.
Plus, it’s done over two sessions. Where we first warm up the bread and then cook the bread pudding at the end in an air fryer suitable container.
Can You Freeze Bread And Butter Pudding?
Yes, you can freeze your bread and butter pudding. What we did with our leftovers is we put them in a small pyrex container and then labelled them up and allowed them to cool before freezing.
Can You Reheat Bread And Butter Pudding?
In answer to your next question, YES you can reheat bread and butter pudding.
If you have frozen your bread and butter pudding you can also reheat it from frozen.
Load your leftover frozen bread and butter pudding in the microwave or the air fryer when we were ready to finish it.
Bread Pudding Tips & Tricks
- Use a large bowl for your pudding batter. It will make putting the bread in the bowl much easier and will result in less mess.
- Make sure you don’t skip the step of spraying and brushing the air fryer basket. Otherwise, your egg will stick to the air fryer basket and ruin your simple bread and butter pudding.
- Before making air fryer bread pudding, I recommend doing a batch of air fryer toast first, then you can get used to the air fryer toast method.
- I always do the big bits of the bread in the air fryer first, then reserve the smaller bits for the casserole dish.
- Use any dish that will fit in your air fryer basket and is oven friendly.
Top Air Fryer Trick – You can also use the air fryer to reheat your leftover bread and butter pudding and its just as delicious.
More Air Fryer Bread Recipes
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Air Fryer Pull Apart Bread
- Air Fryer Toast
- Air Fryer Part Baked Bread Rolls
Your bread pudding air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Bread And Butter Pudding
- 4 Slices Stale Thick Sliced Bread
- 3 Large Eggs
- 240 ml Double Cream
- 80 ml Caster Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 120 ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- 240 ml Raisins
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
- Icing Sugar optional
- Cosori Air Fryer
- Pastry Brush
- Air Fryer Container
- Crack your eggs into a bowl and add in cream, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix with a fork.
- Chop your bread into big chunks.
- Load the bread into the bowl and mix well in the mixture until they are drenched in the batter.
- Prepare your air fryer by spraying with extra virgin olive oil and then brushing with a pastry brush.
- Load batter soaked bread into the air fryer, leaving any small bits that will break up in the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 190c/380f.
- Load the bread into the bowl with the small bits, add in raisins and milk and mix well.
- Load the contents of the bowl into an air fryer safe container and then top with little bits of butter.
- Air fry for a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f.
- Then sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
I love a bread & butter pudding and this was delicious, your directions really help and your whole website is helping me find a whole new way of cooking thanks for that.