Got some spare stale bread? Then you must make air fryer French toast sticks. The best French toast ever and reheats perfectly in the air fryer too.
Even better, you can freeze any French toast leftovers for another day and then reheat those from frozen.
Our air fryer French toast sticks recipe was originally shared in 2016 and we are updating it today with new photos and even more great tips.
French Toast Sticks In Air Fryer
Over Christmas last year we made the most delicious ever air fryer French toast.
It was amazing and we sprinkled it with icing sugar and binged on it over a few days. This is because I made too much as I experimented with the different cook times and temps.
We still had this HUGE bag of bread still to go at and loads of leftover eggy bread batter.
I said to Jorge that we must make some toast soldiers with it. Which is what us brits refer to the long slices of bread that I know many Americans call sticks.
Our French toast sticks in the air fryer got a makeover.
And they were the nicest French toast sticks ever, and we wanted to share with you, our updated recipe today.
So, if you have not made air fryer French toast sticks before, then today is your chance.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
What Are French Toast Sticks?
French toast sticks are just how it sounds.
French toast aka bread soaked in egg and milk and then instead of whole slices of French toast, its cut into strips that become toast sticks.
What is so special about French toast sticks is that it is easier to cook and you get the crisp on the edges of each stick.
If you are like me, you will prefer air fryer French toast sticks over just French toast.
Can You Put French Toast Sticks In The Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. You will love French toast sticks in the air fryer. They are crispy like they are in a frying pan, are quick to cook and in my opinion, taste better than cooked the traditional way.
The biggest benefit of these French toast sticks in the air fryer is that they are small, and you can fit more of them in the air fryer, compared to doing full slices of French toast.
French Toast Bites In Air Fryer
Another option, which is great for using up spare bread is to make French toast bites in the air fryer.
These are like chunky pieces of French toast and perfect for after you have had soup the day before and have bits of bread left, with no real plan for them.
I have experimented with traditional air fryer French toast, French toast sticks and French toast bites, and have found the bites are the BEST.
They are small so you get a much better crunch, and it soaks up the egg batter much better.
Here are our French toast bites in the air fryer close up:
Ninja Foodi French Toast Sticks
You can also make Ninja Foodi French toast sticks. Simply follow our air fryer French toast sticks recipe and then cook them in your air fryer basket inside of your Ninja Foodi instead.
I have done them in the Ninja Foodi and couldn’t tell the difference between those and ones cooked in my Philips Air Fryer and Cosori Air Fryer.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
French Toast Sticks Air Fryer Ingredients
Bread – You can use any bread that toasts well. My personal recommendation with air frying French toast sticks is some Warburtons Farmhouse. I mean who doesn’t love Warburtons for their breakfast?
Batter – Then for the batter you will need some egg that you can beat first and then add milk to. You can make it creamier by swapping milk for cream if you prefer.
Seasoning – Then to add that beautiful flavour to your toast soldiers, as I call it, lets add in vanilla essence, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Sugar – Then for finishing off your French toast sticks I recommend sprinkling with some icing sugar. Also known in the US as confectioners sugar.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this French toast sticks air fryer recipe it has just been our Cosori Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make French Toast Sticks In Air Fryer?
- Mix. In a bowl add your eggs and beat them with the milk and seasonings.
- Chop. Slice your bread into sticks or chunks (whatever you prefer).
- Coat. Place your sticks into the bowl and toss on both sides in the eggy mixture.
- Prep. Then prep the air fryer by spraying with extra virgin olive oil spray and then using a pastry brush to make sure it is fully coated.
- Cook. Load the French toast sticks into the air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes on each side before serving.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to make air fried French toast sticks and why you should be doing it too!
How Long To Cook French Toast Sticks In Air Fryer?
Air frying French toast sticks cook time is JUST 8 minutes.
A quick 4 minutes on each side is all that is needed for crispy perfectly cooked French toast sticks.
Air Frying French Toast Sticks Tips & Tricks
- Use a large bowl for your egg mixture. It will make putting the toast sticks in the bowl much easier.
- Make sure you don’t skip the step of spraying and brushing the air fryer basket. Otherwise, your egg will stick to the air fryer basket and come off the toast sticks.
- You can load any leftovers into a Ziploc bag and then reheat your leftover French toast sticks in the air fryer the next day.
- You can mix and match your flavours in your batter. Instead of nutmeg I love to add some ground ginger at Christmas.
Top Air Fryer Trick – You can use an extra virgin olive oil spray for a lot of different recipes. It makes your air fryer food crispy, but it can also be used for making your air fryer basket if old, non-stick again.
More Air Fryer Brunch Favourites
Your French toast sticks in the air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Crack your eggs into a bowl and add in your milk and seasonings and mix well.
- Slice your bread into sticks.
- Or if you want French toast bites then slice each of the sticks into 2’s or 3s depending on the length.
- Load toast sticks into the bowl (one bread slice equivalent at a time) and coat on each side.
- Prepare your air fryer by spraying with extra virgin olive oil and then brushing with a pastry brush.
- Load French toast sticks into the air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Flip and cook for another 4 minutes at the same temperature on the other side. Toss with icing sugar before serving.