This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Syrup sponge pudding met the electric pressure cooker in this delicious instant pot treacle sponge pudding.
Take a trip down memory lane to your favourite school dinners and make this classic steamed sponge pudding for dessert tonight.
Treacle Sponge Pudding
What my kids love most, is when we are recipe testing some new desserts for you. Because many of the ingredients are often similar, we will often recipe test several desserts in one day.
One was of course this treacle sponge pudding, and the others were instant pot sticky toffee pudding and instant pot jam steamed pudding.
Of course, the best bit was all the tasting, and then reheating and enjoying all these yummy desserts over a few days.
Though a few months on, what stays in my memory is just how amazing the instant pot is for making great desserts easier.
That you can steam your desserts compared to how you would traditionally cook them and how grateful I am to have found the instant pot back in 2016 and found a new way of cooking.
Today’s recipe for treacle sponge pudding is the last of that fun filled day and we hope you enjoy this old fashioned British dessert as much as we have eating it!
Are You New To The Instant Pot?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular instant pot mini course which teaches you the instant pot basics in 5 days, we also have our instant pot bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy instant pot recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
What Is Treacle Sponge Pudding?
Treacle sponge pudding is a steamed sponge pudding that has a layer of golden syrup. The golden syrup then creates a delicious sticky glaze to the steamed pudding as it cooks.
But what is confusing to many, is that there is no treacle in a treacle sponge pudding. Instead, treacle is replaced with golden syrup.
Because of this, treacle sponge pudding carries many names. It is also known as syrup sponge pudding or golden syrup sponge pudding. Though note its all one of the same.
Maple Syrup Steamed Pudding
You can also transform it into maple syrup steamed pudding. All you would do is swap the golden syrup for maple syrup and then everything else is cooked the same way.
I have made the maple syrup version too but prefer the taste of golden syrup.
Steamed Treacle Pudding
The best way to cook steamed treacle pudding is to use an instant pot pressure cooker or another similar electric pressure cooker. For example, this steamed treacle sponge can also be made with the Ninja Foodi.
The idea is that you prep into steaming pudding bowls and then they are lowered into your pressure cooker with plenty of water and they steam under pressure. Though in the recipe card below, we will go into detail about this, so that it can be super easy for you.
Its much quicker and easier compared to the old school method of steamed puddings on the stovetop.
Plus, you are not limited to a treacle sponge as you can do any pressure cooker steamed puddings.
What Steam Pudding Bowl To Use?
I got some really good steam pudding bowls from my local Morrisons supermarket and fell in love with them.
Here is our steamed pudding bowl ready for its pudding mix:
What you need to look for is steam pudding bowls that will last, so that you can make lots of steamed recipes in it, as well as fit well in the instant pot pressure cooker.
You can also get some smaller ones and made cute little individual steamed puddings too. Or do what we have done and made a big steamed sponge pudding for us all to share.
Would you like easy & amazing instant pot recipes from instant pot experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST instant pot beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful instant pot resources.
Treacle Pudding Recipe Ingredients
Syrup – The first ingredient to go into your steam pudding bowl is your golden syrup. I love to buy the squeezy bottles as it makes it so much easier for cooking with and you don’t have as much of a sticky mess in your kitchen.
Sugar – To make easy treacle sponge, you will need some caster sugar. It does the best job at making cakes or sponges and creates the perfect steamed sponge too. I always have a big bag of it in my kitchen cupboard.
Flour – And just like any sponge cake you will need some flour to combine it all together. But unlike many cakes such as our air fryer chocolate cake, only a small portion of flour is needed.
Eggs – You will also need 1 large egg at room temperature to beat into your batter. As well as a small portion of milk to make it creamy.
Butter – There is also a small quantity of butter required and again, much better if it is at room temperature, but of course not essential.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this treacle steamed pudding recipe it has just been our Instant Pot. We have this one and it’s my favourite and great for desserts and so ridiculously fast for making a steamed pudding.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our instant pot recipes category as we have many electric pressure cooker recipes and have been using instant pots for 5 years.
How To Make Treacle Sponge?
- Batter. Beat sugar and butter into a bowl and then add in the egg and beat until smooth. Then add in the flour and mix gently with a fork. Before finishing with the milk.
- Grease. Use a little extra virgin olive oil spray to grease your pudding bowls.
- Wrap. Add golden syrup to the bottom of the pudding bowls. Then load the pudding mixture into the pudding bowls and then tightly wrap in foil. Then lower the pudding bowls onto the trivet inside the instant pot.
- Cook. Pour enough boiling water to cover up to ¼ of the bottom of the steamer bowl and then place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- Custard. Do a quick pressure release and then after removing from the instant pot, load into bowls with custard.
And I am sure you can see now how simple and quick treacle steamed pudding is to make, especially if you use the instant pot to cook.
How Long To Cook A Steamed Pudding In A Pressure Cooker?
The ideal cook time for a steamed pudding in the pressure cooker is JUST 25 minutes. Even better, there is no natural pressure release required.
This means you can pressure cook your steamed pudding recipe and then do a quick pressure release.
There is also the time to pressure, but we speed this up by using boiling water in the instant pot.
Can You Reheat Treacle Sponge Pudding?
Yes, you can reheat your treacle sponge pudding or you can make ahead your treacle sponge and then reheat it later.
It doesn’t take long to reheat your steamed pudding and we did so in JUST 2.5 minutes in our microwave.
Treacle Pudding Recipe Tips & Tricks
- I recommend (if you have one) that you use a trivet with side handles. Then it is so much easier for lifting the syrup steamed pudding in and out of the instant pot.
- Even though I used the instant pot, this golden syrup steamed pudding recipe will work with any electric pressure cooker.
- You can take any favourite steamed pudding to the pressure cooker. Just use our cook times and method and mix and match.
- It is easier if you use room temperature egg and butter.
- I recommend using a classic steamed pudding bowl. You can also use them for other steamed puddings and even savoury ones in the instant pot.
- The best way to grease your pudding bowl is to spray with extra virgin olive oil and then sprinkle with flour.
Interesting Instant Pot Trick – Use hot water from the tap when filling up the instant pot. If you don’t it will take forever to warm up all that water and take it to pressure.
More Instant Pot Desserts
- Instant Pot Banoffee Pie
- Instant Pot Strawberry Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cake Bites
- Instant Pot Rice Pudding
Your treacle sponge pudding recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free instant pot ebooks and useful instant pot cook time charts and so much more.
Instant Pot Treacle Sponge Pudding
- In a bowl, beat the sugar with the butter until you have a light and fluffy mixture. Add in a large egg and blend slowly until smooth.
- Add in flour with a fork and lightly mix until well combined. Then add a little milk at a time to create a creamy sponge batter.
- Grease a steamed pudding basin and then add a layer of golden syrup.
- Cover the syrup with the sponge mixture.
- Then wrap the top tightly with foil.
- In the instant pot add your trivet and then add your pudding basin with foil. Pour enough boiling water to cover up to ¼ of the bottom of the basin. Place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 25 minutes on pressure cook.
- Do a quick pressure release and allow to cool, then tip it out into a large dish before serving with custard.