This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Instant Pot Bangers And Mash. How to cook the English version of instant pot sausages and mash. Not only is instant pot bangers and mash delicious, but it is also so simple to cook in the instant pot for a quick weeknight family meal.
This instant pot bangers and mash recipe was originally posted in 2017, but we are bringing you the updated version today with new pictures and new ideas as well as my pot in pot method!
Instant Pot Bangers & Mash
If you love bangers and mash, then sit down and get comfy as I show you just how easy it is to make in the instant pot.
Out of favourite comfort foods as both a child and as an adult bangers and mash is there with bells on.
It was not something I had made for much as a kid, but more something that I either went out to eat or made for Dominic and the kids.
My mash loving son Kyle loves it and would often request it for dinner as a kid.
If you went to a British pub, then you can guarantee that there will be bangers and mash on the menu.
Swimming in delicious onion gravy and so flavoursome and perfect for a cheap pub meal and a night off from cooking.
Living in Portugal there are lot of Brits that have moved to either Spain or Portugal and opened British pubs. One thing that will be on the menu time and time again is bangers and mash.
But let’s face it, there is effort involved. That’s why I wanted to show you how to transform bangers and mash to the instant pot.
Its much quicker, its easier and it tastes amazing!
What Is Bangers & Mash?
Bangers and mash are a popular British dish comprising of sausages and mashed potatoes and often served with onion gravy.
The Brits would call it instant pot bangers and mash, but many non-Brits might refer to it as instant pot sausages and mashed potatoes.
Bangers and mash are a classic that has been around for many years. In fact, there are often remembered as a World War 2 meal.
This is because potatoes were plentiful, and you could then serve a dinner plate with less sausages and know that the potatoes would fill you up.
Or the term banger comes from the low quality sausage that was about during WW2. They were filled with so much rubbish that they would explode and the bang they made is where the term “bangers” originally came from.
What Kind Of Sausages Are Used In Bangers & Mash?
Traditionally you will see thick pork sausages being used in bangers and mash. But in modern times it is no surprise to see chicken, beef or veal sausages being used.
Bangers & Mash In Instant Pot
The method of making bangers and mash in the instant pot is one of my favourite uses of the instant pot.
What you do is use the bottom of the inner pot for your sausages to cook in, then you lower a steamer basket over the sausages to make your mashed potatoes.
That way you can be making your onion gravy at the same time and you can be finishing your gravy at the same time as mashing your potatoes.
The bangers and mash method also have a quick cook time. When we made our no drain instant pot mashed potatoes the cook time is 4 times as long as this recipe.
That is because there is less cooking in the instant pot in this recipe and because you are using a steamer basket.
How To Cook Bangers & Mash?
Making bangers and mash in the instant pot is EASY.
- Sauté onions and sausages in the instant pot.
- Add stock.
- Add the tall trivet and add your peeled and quartered potatoes.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook your bangers and mash.
- Manually release pressure and remove the steamer basket and trivet.
- Mash your potatoes.
- Make your onion gravy.
- Plate it up and serve.
Onion Gravy For Bangers & Mash
I love onion gravy for my bangers and mash and it’s so easy to do in the instant pot. You are creating your gravy at the start when you sauté your onion.
Then you are adding in delicious sausage stock and then at the end a little mashed potato.
Combining these 3 stages throughout the bangers and mash recipe, gives you a delicious onion gravy to look forward to.
Instant Pot Bangers And Mash
- Peel and thinly slice an onion and load into the instant pot with extra virgin olive oil and your sausages. Sauté until you start to get colour on your sausages.
- Cancel sauté.
- Place the tall trivet over your sausages and add your steamer basket.
- Dice your potatoes and load as many potatoes as will fit without going passed the max line of the instant pot.
- Season potatoes with salt.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook for 5 minutes on manual pressure. When it beeps manually release pressure.
- Remove the steamer basket and the trivet. In a bowl load up your potatoes and mash with a masher. Add in seasoning, butter, and milk.
- Load the mashed potatoes and sausages onto dinner plates and place the instant pot back on sauté. Add a little mashed potato and mix with the onion gravy to thicken it.
- Pour onion gravy over bangers and mash and serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: