This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Introducing you to the best and easiest mashed potatoes ever! You will love no drain instant pot mashed potatoes for easy they are to prep, how good they taste and the fact you don’t need to drain them before mashing.
Even better, you can make these mashed potatoes even lazier with our no peel method.
Originally shared in 2017, updated in 2020 and updated today with even more photos and ideas.
Mashed Potatoes In The Instant Pot
If you are anything like me, then mashed potatoes will be at the top of your list among the best comfort foods of all time.
That dish that can either be the star on the dinner plate or the best side dish you could ever eat.
My favourite mashed potatoes as a kid would be a big bowl of them that my mum would make. Served with a roast beef dinner and always so creamy and loaded with butter.
Though our eldest son Kyle was heartbroken when she replaced her amazing homemade mash with smash and has spent the last 8 years telling me that I must never do that and that mash is one of those dream foods that must always be made with real potatoes.
Clearly, he was haunted by the packet of smash because she served him smash back in early 2012 when he was 10 years old.
I can imagine that she asked him what he would like for dinner and he said “mash” and she looked in the cupboard didn’t have any potatoes and made smash!
But what she probably didn’t know, is that after his love for lasagne, his favourite homemade comfort food is the utterly delicious mashed potatoes.
He is also raised in a household free of processed foods and is used to real potatoes and nothing out of a packet.
However, if you normally reach for the smash because it is quicker, then let me introduce you to no drain instant pot mashed potatoes.
Throw them in, mash them in the instant pot inner pot and you are done.
Its one of those lifechanging uses of the instant pot that people talk about. Just like instant pot caramel, one of those recipes that are must for the instant pot.
Are You New To The Instant Pot?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular instant pot mini course which teaches you the instant pot basics in 5 days, we also have our instant pot bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy instant pot recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes Without Milk?
Yes, you can make mashed potatoes without milk. The milk becomes the delicious liquid that helps make the mash.
But you can swap it for many other alternatives.
For example, you can use extra stock from when you cooked your potatoes, you can use Greek yoghurt instead of milk (makes it creamier), you can use a dairy free milk, you can replace milk with coconut milk and the list goes on and on.
Even better, (which I will explain below in more detail) when you make no drain instant pot mash, there is no need for milk or milk replacement.
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes In An Instant Pot?
Yes, you can make mashed potatoes in the instant pot. But when I say that you, it really doesn’t sound like anything special does it?
After all, you are just boiling your potatoes for your mashed potatoes in the instant pot rather than in a pan on the stove.
But what makes instant pot mashed potatoes special is that you can make:
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes No Drain – By adding less liquid to the instant pot, you don’t need to drain your potatoes before mashing. This means you can mash the potatoes in the instant pot and avoid any extra washing up.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Skin On – You can also keep the skin on your potatoes, and it will make more mash as you are not wasting the skin and it speeds up your prep.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes With Chicken Broth – This is a total mash life changer because the chicken broth adds amazing flavour to the potatoes and will give you the best tasting mash. Or if you are a vegan, you can swap the chicken broth for our instant pot veggie stock.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Without Milk – Because of the way the no drain method works you don’t need any milk at all to make no drain mash. What happens is the leftover liquid replaces your milk.
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Without A Masher – You can cook your potatoes for 12 minutes instead of 8 and it will make your potatoes so soft you can mix with a fork and avoid a masher.
You can do all these things with your instant pot, or just one of those things, depending on what you want to achieve with your mash.
Are Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Good?
Yes! Instant Pot mashed potatoes are so yummy. In fact, since getting our first instant pot in the Black Friday sales of 2016, we have only made mashed potatoes in the instant pot.
You can also do a small portion of mashed potatoes over your meat like in our instant pot shepherd’s pie.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes No Drain?
You are probably wondering what instant pot mashed potatoes no drain means?
In a nutshell it is an easier method of instant pot mashed potatoes where you add just enough liquid to cook moist mashed potatoes.
As the instant pot cooks your potatoes you end up with just enough liquid in the bottom to mash your potatoes.
You don’t need to drain your potatoes and you can do your mashed potatoes JUST in your instant pot.
Also, you don’t need a steamer basket or a trivet, making it even easier.
Would you like easy & amazing instant pot recipes from instant pot experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST instant pot beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful instant pot resources.
No Drain Mashed Potatoes Instant Pot Ingredients
Potatoes – You can use any potatoes you like when making mashed potatoes in the instant pot. I usually have a big bag of them and I keep adding them until my instant pot is almost full. Though if doing instant pot mashed potatoes with skin, make sure your potatoes are clean first.
Stock – It is essential to use stock when cooking mashed potatoes in the instant pot. What you are doing is similar to boiling and the potatoes will lose the flavour if you just use water. You can use instant pot chicken stock, instant pot veggie stock or another similar favourite.
Extras – We all have our favourites to make our mashed potatoes wonderfully creamy. I love to include I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter (or you can use any butter or margarine) and some Philadelphia cream cheese. Though the hubby loves it when I add in some grated cheddar cheese too.
Seasonings – Then for your seasonings I recommend salt, pepper, and parsley. You can also mix it up and use sage, tarragon, Italian seasoning, or basil, depending on what you are serving your mash with.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this pressure cooker mashed potatoes recipe it has just been our Instant Pot. We have this one and its my favourite and great for a quick dump and start potato recipe.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our instant pot recipes category as we have many electric pressure cooker recipes and have been using instant pots for 5 years.
How To Make No Drain Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes?
- Prep. Peel and dice your white potatoes. Or just clean and dice if making skin on mash.
- Load. Throw your potatoes, into the instant pot. Add your stock and season well with salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Cook. Pressure cook, then do a quick pressure release. Once the pressure has released and you have removed the lid, add in your extras. Then mash with a silicone masher until you have creamy mashed potatoes.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to pressure cook mashed potatoes and why it has become one of my favourite simple side dishes.
Instant Pot Mash Tips & Tricks
- Add extra seasoning last. Pressure cooking can reduce flavour and by adding them again at the end, it will give you the best flavour.
- If peeling your potatoes, save the peelings and then make a batch of veggie stock from the potato peelings.
- You can prep the potatoes the day before and then place in the fridge in some water. It will stop the potatoes from going brown and save you a job on the day.
Interesting Instant Pot Trick – Make our instant pot mashed potatoes with chicken broth. Add 1 cup/240ml of chicken broth to the instant pot with the potatoes and they will become the most flavoursome mash ever.
Lazy Instant Pot Mash Trick – I recommend making instant pot mashed potatoes with skin. Simply wash your potatoes and then quarter your potatoes. Load them into the instant pot and you can make mash the usual way. Then you are getting the extra nutrients from the potato skin and avoiding food waste at the same time.
Can mashed potatoes be reheated in an instant pot? Yes, they can. You can simply load into a container and sit the mash on a trivet over a cup of water and do a zero minute cook time. Or place the instant pot on the slow cooker setting for 2 hours.
How Long To Cook Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes?
I recommend an instant pot mashed potatoes cook time of JUST 8 minutes. The potatoes will be cooked in 4 minutes, but you want your potatoes incredibly soft, so that its easy for you to mash the potatoes.
If you have no potato masher, increase the cook time to 12 minutes and then its easy to mix the potatoes into mash with a fork.
More Easy Instant Pot Potato Recipes
- Instant Pot Colcannon
- Instant Pot New Potatoes
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken & Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Your instant pot mashed potato no drain recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free instant pot ebooks and useful instant pot cook time charts and so much more.
No Drain Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and dice your potatoes into small to medium chunks.
- Load potatoes into your instant pot inner pot. Season well with salt and pepper and then add half the parsley. Add 240ml of vegetable stock.
- Place the lid on your instant pot pressure cooker, set the valve to sealing and cook for 8 minutes with a quick pressure release.
- After releasing pressure, the potatoes will be very soft and there will hardly be any liquid left as the potatoes will have soaked them up.
- Add butter or margarine along with cream cheese and season again and mash until creamy with a hand masher.
- Then load into a serving dish, ready for serving.