Instant Pot Lamb Shank. How to cook delicious lamb shanks in the instant pot. Our instant pot lamb shanks are cooked with red wine and both vegetables and mashed potatoes for the ultimate one pot dinner.
Our instant pot lamb shank is our 2nd recipe this week that shows you how to cook meat and potatoes together in the instant pot. If you missed yesterday, we made instant pot bangers and mash.
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Lamb Shank
Lamb lovers take note, lamb shanks in the instant pot is a taste sensation that you will not forget. Easy prep and the way the lamb falls off the bone as you cut into it is amazing.
But first, can I say I am late to the lamb party? I rarely ate any lamb at all before my 35th birthday and as I write this in my 39th year that just sounds so wrong to say out loud.
My husband Dominic, a culinary trained chef, rolled his eyes for many years when I said I didn’t like lamb.
Telling me that there are many different ways to eat lamb that you have hardly tried any and you should give them a go.
But with instant pot lamb shank it doesn’t have that feeling of a fatty cut and instead feeling lean and more like pulled lamb.
If you like lamb shawarma, then you will love how amazing instant pot lamb shanks are.
Gordon Ramsay Lamb Shanks
Like most people my introduction to lamb shanks were Gordon Ramsay’s Lamb Shanks.
The way that they were so tender and how the lamb shank was always served over the super creamy mashed potatoes.
But could you take a recipe that was made famous by Gordon Ramsay and make it easier to make in the instant pot? An instant pot lamb shank recipe that ticks all these boxes:
- Instant Pot Lamb Shank With Vegetables – You cook the vegetables in the bottom of the instant pot with the lamb shanks resting on them. It gives you a fantastic future lamb stock too.
- Instant Pot Lamb Shank With Potatoes – As well as the vegetables cooking below with the lamb shank we have the mashed potatoes being steamed above in the steamer basket.
- Instant Pot Lamb Shank With Red Wine – We also use red wine to deglaze the instant pot. Not only does it do a fantastic job of deglazing, but your lamb shank cooks in red wine.
- Instant Pot Braised Lamb Shank – The point of cooking lamb shank in the instant pot is so that it is like perfectly braised lamb. Lamb that falls off the bone as you put your fork into it but stays whole to be loaded on the plate.
How To Cook Lamb Shanks In A Pressure Cooker?
Cooking lamb shanks in the pressure cooker is EASY.
- Sauté onions and brown lamb shanks in the instant pot and remove lamb.
- Deglaze the instant pot with red wine.
- Add in vegetables and stock and submerge lamb.
- Add stock.
- Add the tall trivet and add your peeled and quartered potatoes.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook your lamb shanks.
- Manually release pressure and remove the steamer basket and trivet.
- Mash your potatoes.
- Thicken your gravy.
- Plate it up and serve.
How Long Do You Cook Lamb In A Pressure Cooker?
The instant pot lamb shank cook time is an hour. This ensures that your lamb shank is not just cooked but tender and will fall off the bone.
If you want lamb that is just cooked but not falling off the bone reduce the cook time to 45 minutes.
Instant Pot Lamb Shank
- Peel and thinly slice an onion and load into the instant pot with extra virgin olive oil and sauté.
- Season your lamb shanks with salt, pepper, and bouquet garni. Load into the instant pot and brown all sides of the lamb shank in the olive oil and onions.
- Once browned cancel sauté and remove the lamb shanks and put to one side.
- Deglaze the instant pot with red wine. Do this by pouring your red wine into instant pot cooking pot and then using a silicone spatula or a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits and any oil or onion that is stuck in the bottom of the pot.
- Peel and dice carrots. Clean and dice celery. Load celery and carrot into the instant pot.
- Cancel sauté.
- Stir in tinned tomatoes, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and stock and mix well.
- Submerge the lamb shanks.
- Place the tall trivet over your lamb shanks and add your steamer basket.
- Dice your potatoes and load as many potatoes as will fit without going passed the max line of the instant pot.
- Season potatoes with salt.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook for 60 minutes on meat/stew. When it beeps manually release pressure.
- Remove the steamer basket and the trivet. In a bowl load up your potatoes and mash with a masher. Add in salt, pepper, thyme, butter, and milk.
- Load the mashed potatoes onto a dinner plate and place a lamb shank on top.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of mashed potatoes to what is left in the bottom of the instant pot and blend. The mushy vegetables and mashed potatoes and stock have now made a thick flavoursome lamb gravy. Pour a little gravy over your lamb shanks and then when cool portion up the rest for the freezer.