This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream. Introducing you to one of the best, one of the easiest and one of the cheapest caramel ice cream maker recipes. Not only does dulce de leche taste just as good as Haagen Dazs but it is perfect for storing in the freezer for the summer or for those lazy Netflix marathons.
Table of Contents
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Welcome to my copycat Haagen Dazs Dulce De Leche ice cream recipe for the ice cream maker. Updated for the summer of 2020 after originally sharing it with you back in the June of 2016 and a favourite in the Milner house.
In the spring of 2008 and in the middle of buying a new house in England, Dominic and I had a change of heart.
The mortgage itself was a lot more than what we could afford, it was not in the nicest of areas and just did not feel right.
We backed out and then it took us 6 weeks to sell almost everything that we owned and move to Spain and then a few months later to Portugal.
Portugal has been our home since the 20th of July 2008, and I have absolutely no regrets and it was the best thing we ever did.
One big change since becoming British Expats living in Portugal is the changes in food. The Mediterranean culture and the lovely food that Portugal has.
I love the piri piri chicken, the locally grown tomatoes and do not get me started about my love for the local ice cream.
Portuguese ice cream is like other countries in continental Europe. Nothing fancy just amazingly simple ingredients that is made to taste delicious.
The first Portuguese ice cream we tried and one that we have been addicted to ever since is the amazing dulce de leche.
It is caramel ice cream that is made with sweet condensed milk until it turns to caramel.
In Spanish and Portuguese dulce de leche means sweet milk.
It is so fast and easy to make and is perfect for cooking in the kitchen with your kids or grandkids.
Haagen Dazs Dulce De Leche Ice Cream 460ml
For those that have not heard of dulce de leche the best comparison I can give you is a 460ml tub of the famous Haagen Dazs dulce de leche ice cream.
It looks like it. It tastes like it and it’s a lot cheaper than buying these expensive ice cream tubs.
If you like Haagen Dazs then you will love this homemade dulce de leche version.
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Recipe Condensed Milk
The cheat ingredient for making dulce de leche is half a can of sweetened condensed milk.
You use the instant pot pressure cooker first to quickly turn it into caramel.
Then the ice cream maker is loaded up with the base ingredients of our homemade vanilla ice cream as well as your caramel.
Then it happily churns away creating you a delicious batch of dulce de leche ice cream.
Instant Pot Condensed Milk To Caramel
If you have not done so already. You can use your instant pot to turn a boring can of sweetened condensed milk into amazing creamy caramel.
Its much cheaper than buying cans of condensed milk that has already been made to caramel and its amazing how quick it is compared to the old stovetop method.
I recommend getting the instant pot started as your first job, as you need to allow for the instant pot to cool so that you can touch the condensed milk without burning yourself.
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Recipe For Ice Cream Maker
The process of making homemade dulce de leche ice cream using an ice cream maker is SIMPLE:
- You load a can of condensed milk into your instant pot and steam until you have addictive caramel.
- You whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until they are light and fluffy.
- Heat milk and cream in a pan and load it with vanilla essence.
- Combine the warm and the cold and warm up the eggs and the sugar.
- Load into the freezer for quick cooling.
- Once cool load it into the ice cream maker and churn for 40 minutes with your caramel and once done you will have delicious caramel dulce de leche ice cream.
- When it is done churning your ice cream, load into containers and freeze for later.
Though because we wanted to imagine we were eating Haagen Dazs ice cream at home we used previously bought Haagen Daz tubs and spoons.
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Ingredients
The ingredients to make your own homemade Dulce De Leche ice cream are ingredients that you can easily buy from the supermarket.
We only used ½ a can of condensed milk to make our dulce de leche ice cream. For the other half of the can we made Ben & Jerry’s Caramel Chew Chew or you could make 2 batches of this.
More Ice Cream Maker Recipes
Our caramel dulce de leche ice cream maker recipe is number #7 in a 10 part summer series dedicated to making delicious ice cream recipes in your ice cream maker.
For further reading you can browse through the rest of our vice cream maker recipes below:
- Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe For Ice Cream Maker
- White Chocolate Ice Cream
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange Ice Cream
- Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker Caramel Chew Chew
- Lemon Sorbet Ice Cream
- Paleo Banana Ice Cream
- Paleo Pineapple Ice Cream
Dulce De Leche Ice Cream Recipe For Ice Cream Maker
- Submerge a can of condensed milk in the instant pot and steam for 40 minutes until your condensed milk becomes caramel. Allow to cool.
- Using an electric hand mixer or a whisk beat together the egg yolks and the sugar until they are fluffy.
- Heat milk and single cream in a small pan and add the vanilla essence.
- Add the egg mixture to the pan and stir on a high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the fridge and allow to cool for at least an hour.
- Mix the caramel into the bowl with your ice cream base and pour into the ice cream maker.
- Set the time to 40 minutes and let it churn.
- Load into containers.
- Transfer to the freezer for an hour and then serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: