How to cook the best slow cooker sausages in onion gravy. You will love slow cooker sausages with a simple onion gravy served over slow cooker mashed potatoes.
Old school recipes recreated in the slow cooker are amazing and this recipe of sausages, mashed potatoes and onion gravy will not disappoint and is perfect for cold winter days for a comforting family dinner.
Table of Contents
Sausages In Onion Gravy
The sausages are slow cooked in plenty of onions and then with a quick mix and match of ingredients a beautiful thick and rich onion gravy is created.
The sausages and then served with this amazing simple onion gravy along with mashed potatoes that we made first.
Sausage mash and onion gravy is like a distant memory from childhood that is so easy to recreate in the slow cooker.
Today, we are going to give you a really simple method, there will be no gravy granules or other unhealthy thickeners and you will love how easily the whole sausage recipe comes together.
Are You New To The Slow Cooker?
This is perfect for you if you want to get more recipes for your slow cooker. Loaded with a lot of British classics and something for everyone.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to it in an instant.
Can You Cook Sausages In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can. Sausages are amazing in the slow cooker, and you will fall in love with the simplicity of cooking them.
If you have a slow cooker that has a hob safe dish, then you can also use the slow cooker to brown the sausages first, if you want some colour on them.
Mash For Sausage Mash & Gravy
Now the mash is my favourite bit. What I do is cook the potatoes with the butter in the slow cooker first, then remove and mash them whilst the sausages and onion gravy cook.
I can then do a quick reheat of the mashed potatoes in the microwave and of course potatoes are fantastic later for thickening up your onion gravy without needing corn flour or gravy granules.
Best Onion Gravy For Sausages
The best way to create the best onion gravy for your sausages is to use homemade stock with onions and then the ingredients that have fallen into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Let me explain in more detail how this simple onion gravy comes together.
You cook the sausages with the onions, stock, and seasonings. Then the flavour from the sausages and the onions drips into the bottom of the slow cooker, giving you a fantastic flavour at the bottom of the slow cooker.
Then stir in some of the mashed potatoes you have made to serve with your sausages and then you have a thick, incredibly flavoursome simple onion gravy.
Here is just how creamy the easy onion gravy looks just before serving:
And of course, it only takes a couple of minutes to get it ready for serving.
Would you like easy & amazing slow cooker recipes from slow cooker experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST slow cooker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful kitchen gadget resources.
Sausages And Onion Gravy Recipe Ingredients
Sausages – We used some red onion pork sausages from the butchers. Note they need to be defrosted so if frozen follow our defrost sausages in the microwave guide first.
Onions – We used white onion, but you can opt for red onions if you prefer. You can also mix it up and use shallots.
Potatoes – We made a big batch of mashed potatoes in the slow cooker first. Then we can leave them cooking in the slow cooker whilst we prep the other ingredients. And of course, mash is not the same without some butter.
Stock – I also recommend some homemade stock that you can add to the slow cooker frozen. It can really flavour up the slow cooker. We used leftovers from our slow cooker pork shoulder joint but you can use any.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your slow cooker sausage and onion gravy we used salt, pepper, mixed herbs, and thyme. Then for the rich flavour of the onion gravy this is achieved thanks to adding in tomato puree.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this sausages with onion gravy slow cooker recipe it has just been our Crockpot. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of slow cooker recipes and also great for easy Sunday lunches.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our slow cooker recipes category as we have more than 100 tried and tested slow cooker recipes and have been using slow cookers for 18 years.
How To Make Sausages In Onion Gravy?
- Peel. Start by peeling and dicing your potatoes. Load them into the slow cooker with butter or margarine along with mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Let them slow cook for 90 minutes.
- Prep. Just before the mash is ready, peel and slice the onions and get your other ingredients ready.
- Sauté. Remove the potatoes from the slow cooker and load into a mixing bowl. In the meantime (no need to clean first) add your sausages and extra virgin olive oil to your slow cooker and sauté for a couple of minutes to add some colour to the sausages and flavour to the pot.
- Load. Then add to the slow cooker everything else and slow cook your sausages in onion gravy for 2.5 hours, though give the slow cooker a stir after an hour.
- Mash. When the slow cooker is back on add margarine and any extra seasonings and some milk to the bowl and mash until you have creamy mash.
- Finish. When the slow cooker is done, load the sausages onto dinner plates. Then stir in a heaped tablespoon of mash into what is left in the slow cooker aka the onion gravy. You now have a simple onion gravy for sausages that you can pour onto the sausages.
- Serve. Reheat your mashed potatoes in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then you have sausage and mash with onion gravy.
And I am sure you can see why this recipe for sausages with onion gravy is a true favourite of mine.
How Long To Cook Sausages In Slow Cooker?
Sausages are cooked in the slow cooker on high in just under 3 hours. Though I find that you are often waiting on another ingredient in the slow cooker so they will often do 4 hours instead of 3.
For example, if you cook sausages in the slow cooker in a sausage casserole you might be waiting on the potatoes to be fork tender.
Sausage Slow Cooker Recipes
If you are looking for sausage slow cooker recipes, then do check out our slow cooker sausage casserole or our slow cooker sausage hotpot next. They are similar in how easy they are to cook compared to our sausages in onion gravy.
And if you only have frozen sausages then do read all about how to defrost sausages in the microwave.
Or beyond the slow cooker here are our air fryer favourites:
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Frozen Sausages In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Sausage & Chips
- Air Fryer Homemade Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Frozen Sausage Rolls
Your slow cooker sausage and onion gravy recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Slow Cooker Sausages In Onion Gravy
Slow Cooker Mash
Sausages With Onion Gravy
- Peel your potatoes and dice them and load the potatoes into the slow cooker with half the butter or margarine, salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Allow to slow cook for 90 minutes to create soft mashed potatoes. After 90 minutes put the potatoes to one side in a suitable bowl and add the milk and other half of the butter.
- Move the slow cooker to the stovetop to sauté the sausages with a little extra virgin olive oil and sauté until you start to see colour on the sausages.
- Add the other slow cooker ingredients to the sausages and place on slow cook on high for 2.5 hours. After an hour though give it a stir.
- Whilst the slow cooker is back on, mash your potatoes and then put to one side for later.
- When the slow cooker is done, load the sausages onto dinner plates and then stir in a heaped tablespoon of the mash to make a thick onion gravy.
- Pour the onion gravy over the sausages and reheat the mashed potatoes for 2 minutes in the microwave. Then serve together your sausages, onion gravy and mashed potatoes.