Delicious creamy and addictive Instant Pot Corn Chowder. If there is just one soup you must cook in your electric pressure cooker corn chowder, is it.
In this family favourite corn chowder, we are making a creamy chowder with frozen cauliflower and frozen sweetcorn and its free of potatoes, chicken and cream.
Table of Contents
Corn Chowder Instant Pot
If I mention a soup for dinner to the family the response I get is usually the same.
Dom will love the idea of soup as long as it includes some bread for him to dunk into the soup.
The kid’s response is my favourite. Only if you make that delicious corn soup, otherwise they will turn their noses up at the idea of soup.
You see, I have been making instant pot corn chowder for years now and its all of ours favourite and is a great way of making a quick soup in the instant pot with very little effort.
Forget peeling and dicing loads and loads of veggies, instead you only have an onion and carrots to prep, everything else is already prepared.
Plus, you achieve the creamy soup texture of the corn chowder instant pot recipe by the cauliflower and the cream cheese, so no need for extra cream.
This sweetcorn chowder is also what I make when we go travelling because its so easy to pack for and plus, when you are camping it’s a great hearty recipe to fill everyone up.
Then if you are travelling with meat, the frozen sweetcorn and frozen cauliflower bags can work as a cooler.
Today, we will be showing you how to make an instant pot chowder, how I freeze the leftovers, simple prep and why this is perfect for a quick midweek dinner in the freezing cold winter months.
Plus, if you would like more hearty soup recipes to try also check out: soup maker boxing day soup, soup maker leek and potato soup, slow cooker leek and potato soup, and my personal favourite nana’s magic soup with air fryer grilled cheese.
Are You New To The Instant Pot?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular instant pot mini course which teaches you the instant pot basics in 5 days, we also have our instant pot bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy instant pot recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Cook Corn Chowder In Instant Pot?
Yes, you can. Instant pot corn chowder is delicious and its so easy to cook in the instant pot, or any other electric pressure cooker.
When we made corn chowder in the instant pot we used the sauté function first and then pressure cooked and then kept the corn chowder in the fridge (the leftovers) until the next day and then portioned it for the freezer.
Corn Chowder No Potatoes
When you think of Instapot corn chowder, you’re probably thinking about a potato soup very much like if you made a loaded potato soup. However, when you make this chowder, we are using the cauliflower and cheese to thicken it making it perfect for if you want to make an instant pot corn chowder without potatoes recipe.
I have also made a corn chowder in the instant pot with potatoes and much prefer this version without.
Corn Chowder Vegetarian
You will be pleased to know that this corn chowder instant pot recipe is vegetarian. We prefer a corn chowder without chicken or bacon, so if you are vegetarian it is easy to keep that way.
Then if you are looking for a vegan corn chowder soup, simply swap the cheeses for a vegan version.
Corn Chowder No Cream
In cooking I find that the hero is the Philadelphia cream cheese. It creates a delicious creamy texture with food, without having to reach for double cream/heavy cream. If you follow a diet you can also swap regular cream cheese for the lightest version and keep the calories down even further.
Would you like easy & amazing instant pot recipes from instant pot experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST instant pot beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful instant pot resources.
Corn Chowder Instant Pot Ingredients
Frozen – To keep this corn chowder instant pot recipe simple we use frozen garlic, frozen corn and frozen cauliflower. Plus, we also freeze our own instant pot veggie stock and then add them to the instant pot from frozen to make the cooking process of our soups even easier.
Fresh – We also used one onion, and 3 large carrots. You can also keep your cauliflower corn chowder more traditional and also add in some diced celery too.
Cheese – Of course, this is a hearty cauliflower corn soup, so we have added in plenty of cheese. Both grated cheese and cream cheese to make the soup very creamy.
Seasonings – Then we finished off with some simple seasoning. To make this cauliflower corn chowder recipe more flavoursome we added salt, pepper, dried oregano and dried mixed herbs.
Can You Recommend An Instant Pot?
I often get asked which electric pressure cookers we recommend and which one we use. In 95% of our instant pot recipes, we use either this instant pot duo (we have both the 6qt and 8qt) or the Ninja Foodi air fryer and pressure cooker in 1. You can click on the links above and read up on them.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our instant pot recipes category as we have many electric pressure cooker recipes and have been using instant pots for 5 years.
How To Cook Instant Pot Corn Chowder?
- Sauté. Start by peeling and dicing your onion and sauteing in the instant pot with some olive oil. As you wait for the instant pot to warm up peel and dice your carrots.
- Add. Next add to the instant pot the carrots and the frozen garlic and give it a good stir.
- Deglaze. Then add the veggie stock and defrost it to deglaze the instant pot and then give it all a good stir.
- Fill. Then fill the instant pot with the frozen cauliflower and frozen corn and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes followed by a quick pressure release.
- QPR. After the quick pressure release stir and the cauliflower will break down into smaller pieces and add in everything else and stir and then do a test taste and adjust with extra seasoning if needed.
You now have the best instant pot chowder!
How To Make Corn Chowder Thicker?
If you feel your instant pot corn chowder recipe is not thick enough, then add in some extra cream cheese. Cream cheese is fantastic for thickening soups and chowders. But also have patience because if you have not left the chowder sit for a couple of minutes it won’t have had chance to thicken.
Freezing Corn Chowder
I love to make a big batch of cauliflower corn chowder soup and then freeze the leftovers for later. We can then reheat the corn chowder on any of those days when you don’t feel like cooking.
What Do You Serve With Chowder?
If I am having a corn chowder then I want lots and lots of bread to dunk into the warm chowder.
Listen To Instant Pot Corn Chowder
Every week this year on the Magic With Gadgets Podcast we are creating a podcast each week to accompany the recipe. You can listen to this week’s below, and then follow along with me at home as you make it.
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Veggie Soup From Frozen Veggies
- Instant Pot Leftover Brisket Soup
- Instant Pot Red Thai Curry Soup
- Check out all our 250+ instant pot beginner recipes!
This is an updated post. We originally shared with you how to cook corn chowder in instant pot back in 2019.
Learn how to cook instant pot corn chowder below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- Peel and dice your onion and sauté in the instant pot with some olive oil. As you wait for the instant pot to warm up peel and dice your carrots.
- Add to the instant pot the carrots and garlic and continue the sauteing until the garlic has some colour to it. Cancel sauté, add the veggie stock (defrost it first) and stir and this will help deglaze the instant pot.
- Add the frozen cauliflower and the frozen corn and stir. Place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and pressure cook for 6 minutes followed by a quick pressure release.
- After releasing pressure, use a wooden spoon to break down the cauliflower into small pieces – note that its okay that the cauliflower is mushy as this is the plan with this chowder.
- Then stir in extra ingredients and if you feel like the corn is not enough then you can add more.
- Adjust with extra seasoning if needed and then serve.