This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Apple Turnovers. Introducing you to the best homemade apple turnovers cooked in the air fryer.
You will love the golden pastry of your apple turnovers, the flavour, the filling, just the right amount of sugars and how they reheat perfectly.
Apple Turnover In Air Fryer
Looking back to childhood, I think my first ever taste test of the apple turnover would have been the McDonalds apple turnovers.
They always had just the right amount of apple pie filling, a delicious crispy sugary coating and perfect for finishing off with after your Big Mac.
Fast forward several years and living in Portugal and you would often see apple turnovers, especially at Easter time and often mix and matched with what fruits are in season.
Then of course, you can make delicious apple turnovers in the air fryer.
Now think of those three things together. Old school apple turnovers like the ones at McDonalds, the fact that you can make turnovers with different in season fruit, and how the air fryer is your best friend for sweet treats like this.
Today, I am going to be sharing with you how to use up leftover pie filling, or make a batch from scratch and then transform them into the best turnovers you have ever eaten.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Do You Call Them Apple Turnovers?
Its so interesting this world we live in, where our food cultures are so different. I know recently some Americans were totally shocked when I showed them instant pot hot dogs and how the Germans, who invented the hot dog, sell their hotdogs. Or that eggplant is known on my side of the Atlantic as aubergine. Or I think what upset those on the other side of the Atlantic was that the Mexicans use instant pot beef tongue to make the best beef tacos.
That same thing can apply to apple turnovers. Whilst I would always call them an apple turnover, or in today’s recipe an air fryer apple turnover, many would call them apple hand pies, mini apple pies, or even apple pastries, or apple pasties.
Whatever you call them, where you live, note they are all one of the same.
Can I Make Apple Turnovers With Pie Crust?
Yes, you can, and we will be showing you today how to cook apple turnovers in the air fryer using pie crust.
Though note, when I mention pie crust, I am talking about making my own homemade air fryer pie crust and then rolling it out for apple turnovers.
You might be thinking of prebought pie crust which you can also buy and use in this recipe.
Can You Make Apple Turnovers With Puff Pastry?
Yes, you can also make puff pastry apple turnovers in the air fryer. Simply follow this air fried apple turnovers recipe and swap our pie crust recipe for puff pastry. Plus, because you are replacing it with puff pastry you will find it is quicker to prep.
Also, with puff pastry it is thicker and puffs up food a lot more than regular pastry and will create an amazing thick apple turnover that looks like something out of a cooking magazine.
Turnovers In The Air Fryer
What is so amazing about turnovers in the air fryer is that you can mix and match with in season fruits.
You could make cherry turnovers, apple pie turnovers, blackcurrant and apple turnovers, fig turnovers and so many others.
Simply swap out the apple and you have turnovers that are a great use of in season fruit and your family will love them.
Even better, you can freeze them for later and the sugar coating is amazing.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Apple Turnover Air Fryer Ingredients
Pastry – You have a lot of choice with the pastry. You can use puff pastry, shortcrust pastry or as you might call it, pie crust. I like to make my own pie crust and often make a big batch and then freeze the leftovers.
Egg – If you want a beautiful golden glow on your homemade apple turnovers, then I recommend some egg wash. You only need a little bit of a small egg, but I prefer to use a large and the leftovers go towards my air fryer egg cups.
Fillings – Then for the filling, I use a mixture of chopped apples that I have air fried first, add in some nice seasonings such as nutmeg and cinnamon and of course some Greek yoghurt so that your apple turnovers don’t go dry.
Sugar – Because we are making sweet pastries here and not savoury then you will want to include some granulated sugar. I also recommend sprinkling some after the egg wash and it will give that wonderful crispy sugar texture like a McDonalds apple pie.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer apple turnover recipe it has just been our Cosori Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
As well as this, we have also used our pasty maker which is essential if you want to make the best looking apple turnovers at home. It also doubles for making pasties as well.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make Apple Turnovers In Air Fryer?
- Prep. Start by prepping your apple. Peel your apple and then cut into small chunks and then load into a bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil, seasoning and a sprinkle of sugar. Mix with your hands.
- Load. Next load into the air fryer and air fry until your apples are fork tender.
- Create. Whilst the air fryer is working its magic make and roll out your pastry. Then load the apple pie filling into the pastry whilst it’s sat in the pasty maker. Press it down to make pasty shapes.
- Air Fry. Load into the air fryer, smoother in egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and air fry for 8 minutes before serving.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to air fry turnovers and why you should be doing it too!
Apple Turnover Tips & Tricks?
- Add lots of egg wash. Even you don’t use enough egg wash then they won’t go wonderfully brown and will look anaemic.
- Also add egg wash to the corners as you pat them down as it will help them stick and stop them coming apart during the cooking process.
- Whatever you do, don’t overfill the apple turnover otherwise the filling will roll out and make a mess and it won’t be pretty!
- Don’t skip the sprinkling of sugar as it makes such a difference to the look, texture, and taste of your apple turnovers. You don’t need a lot, just enough to give it the wow factor.
- I recommend seasoning the apples and the flour you are making your pastry with. This will give it a fantastic apple pie style flavour.
Interesting Air Fryer Trick – Add a layer of foil prior to air frying your turnovers. It will stop them sticking to the air fryer basket and you will be amazed at how easy the clean up will be afterwards. Plus, don’t forget to check out our podcast episode on can you use foil in air fryer?
Can you heat up apple turnovers? Yes, you can. Load your cooked apple turnovers into the air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes at 160c/320f.
Air fryer apple spice turnovers? I love apple spice and if you want to make air fryer apple spice turnovers swap the nutmeg for apple spice and then add extra apple spice with the cinnamon.
More Air Fryer Sweet Treats
- Air Fryer Pop Tarts
- Air Fryer Mars Bar
- Air Fryer Chocolate Cake
- Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Air Fryer Cheesecake
Your apple turnover recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Apple Turnovers Recipe
- Peel and dice your apple into small chunks. Load into a mixing bowl with extra virgin olive oil, 1Tbsp of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well with your hands and then place into the air fryer.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 180c/360f and then whilst they are cooking make your pastry.
- Roll out your pastry and then place the bottom of the pasty maker over it and cut out your circles. You might have to roll a second time to get three pasty circles. Then place the pasty circles on a clean floured worktop as you make them. Then once you are done making the pasty circles place one at a time into your pasty cutter.
- Place the apple chunks back into the bowl with all the other ingredients including the Greek yoghurt and another 1tbsp of sugar. Mix with a fork. Then load the filling into one half of the turnover, making sure you don’t overfill it.
- Push down, making sure it creates the beautiful pasty pattern. Do this until you have made all your turnovers.
- Then place foil in the air fryer basket and cover the tops of the apple turnovers with egg wash and then sprinkle with the last of the sugar.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 200c/400f before serving.