This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Five Guys Cajun Fries. Perfect for Five Guys fans that love their fries, want to recreate cajun fries at home in the air fryer, but also for people with nut allergies that want Five Guys Cajun Fries without the peanut oil.
You will love how easy it is to make cajun fries in the air fryer and you can also follow this method for other types of seasoned air fryer fries.
We originally showed you how to cook five guys cajun fries in the air fryer in 2020 and we are updating it today, so that you can see step by step photos and more ideas.
Five Guys Cajun Fries
Our five guys cajun fries is one of many in our air fryer French fries recipe collection.
But the fries that we make the most in the air fryer and that we LOVE the most is our air fryer five guys cajun fries.
They are also easy to adapt for your favourite seasoning, so if you don’t like cajun, then hang around for some good alternatives!
My daughter is 5.5 years old as I type this. I also have my grown-up son who will be 19 this summer and our baby of the family who will turn 4 this September.
With my kids I love introducing them to new flavours and watching as their food habits change.
I love the fact that my daughter Sofia loves avocado and curries as much as I do, or that she will be so fussy that a chocolate bribe will suddenly get her eating her lunch.
Even though Jorge is young, he has experienced a lot of different foods for his age. He has tried goat, lamb, venison and loves rabbit.
He gets passionate about making a stew with me, but like most kids still loves French Fries.
My eldest Kyle though, has had food allergies since he was a baby. He had both a gluten and a nut allergy throughout his childhood.
He grew out of his gluten allergy but the nuts one stuck.
This means we always check for nut traces, and some would always sneak through and he has scars on his arms from when he has itched his rashes.
He doesn’t go into shock from nuts, but he does have flu like symptoms that can keep him off school for at least a week.
So, when we heard about five guys we were really excited to try out Five Guys Cajun Fries then we read that ALL of their menu is made using peanut oil and all of a sudden, the chances of going was forgotten about.
Though in the summer of 2018 we travelled around Europe and found ourselves in the outside eating area of Euro Disney.
In between Earl of Sandwich and McDonalds we found a Five Guys establishment and while Kyle and I queued for yummy sandwiches in Earl Of Sandwich, Dominic had his Five Guys moment.
Describing his Five Guys Burger & Fries as the best he had ever eaten, it got us obsessed with making Five Guys food in the air fryer.
Plus, we then read online that one large portion of Five Guys Cajun Fries contain over 1300 calories, making it perfect for recreating as an air fryer recipe and lets just see how many calories we can drop thanks to our Philips Air Fryer!
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
What Are Cajun Fries?
Cajun fries are French fries that are cooked in a cajun seasoning. It is often compared to the Five Guys Fries because they use a similar seasoning in their fries.
Because the fries are cooked in the cajun seasoning, they create a crispy coating on them, which have a much better texture and taste much better than regular air fryer fries.
Five Guys also cook the fries twice, making them similar to the twice cooked fries you see on restaurant menus.
Also, cajun style fries is a very easy method to recreate for the air fryer.
Are Five Guys Fries Gluten Free?
Yes, they are. Five guys fries are simply the combination of potatoes with seasoning and extra virgin olive oil, making them perfect for a gluten free diet.
You could also use them as a pizza alternative and make our air fryer pizza fries with them as the base.
Are Five Guys Fries Vegan?
Yes, five guys style fries are vegan. They are among our many air fryer vegan recipes and perfect for a copycat fast food recipe that you can make healthier at home.
As well as being vegan you can swap white potatoes for sweet potatoes to make them paleo and also enjoy our five guys style fries on the Whole30.
Are Five Guys Fries Healthy?
From a calorie prospective, you want to look away now! As five guys cajun fries are very high in calories.
But make cajun fries in the air fryer and you have a healthy alternative.
Our five guys fries copycat recipe is:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Peanut Free
Plus, if you follow Paleo you can also make them, just using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes.
Or make a Weight Watchers version that is low in points.
Why Are Five Guys Fries So Good?
It’s the same reason that five guys fries are so good in the air fryer and that is the cooking process that you only normally associate with quality restaurants and not with fast food companies like Five Guys.
- Five Guys Cajun Seasoning – Often fries are not seasoned, or they are over seasoned with salt. But with Five Guys you have that association with that delicious cajun spiced seasoning.
- Five Guys Fries Double Fried – By cooking fries at two completely different temperatures you can get a much better French fry. Once you have cooked fries at two different temperatures like Five Guys do, then there is no going back.
- Five Guys Fries Extra Crispy – Also, by cooking the fries at two different temperatures you can ensure that your five guys fries are extra crispy.
Now imagine converting your five guys fries to the air fryer and how good they taste:
- Cook your air fryer cajun fries at two different temperatures. Start at a medium to cook the inside and then a high temperature on the outside to ensure crispness.
- Season your cajun fries first and then the flavour will be amazing. You can also alter this for your favourite seasoning if you don’t like cajun.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Five Guys Fries Ingredients
Potatoes – Any potatoes that make good fries will do the trick. If you follow Paleo and don’t do white potatoes, you can sub for sweet potatoes. Though note, the secret to perfect 5 guys fries is that they are cooked skin on.
Oil – I recommend for best results that you use extra virgin olive oil. You only need a small quantity, and it makes the best 5 guys fries that you have ever tried.
Seasonings – We are talking five guys fries or cajun French fries as you may call them, so of course cajun seasoning is on the recipe ingredients list. I recommend some cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, Mexican seasoning, mixed spice, and coriander. These combined make the best flavour on your cajun French fries.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this five guys cajun fries air fryer recipe it has just been our Philips Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
Five Guys Fries Seasoning
Five guys style fries vs cajun are a little different. Instead of just adding cajun seasoning, you’re going to be adding:
- Cajun Seasoning
- Mexican Seasoning
- Mixed Spice
- Salt & Pepper
Note that its not a spicy fries seasoning but more a mild seasoning, that your kids would enjoy eating.
Though of course, you can add extra cajun fries seasoning, to make it spicier if you prefer.
How To Make Five Guys Fries
When you look at the Five Guys Cajun fries, you will see that they are very easy to recreate at home.
- They are hand chopped without using frozen French Fries
- They are soaked in water first to remove the excess starch.
- They are cooked for a couple of minutes to get the outside crunchy and then at a lower temperature to cook the centre.
- They are rolled in a homemade Cajun blend to get that delicious Cajun fries experience.
The main things that we change with our Air Fryer Cajun Fries is:
- We use olive oil instead of peanut oil
- Because we’re air frying we use very little olive oil.
#1 Peel & Slice & Soak
The first stage is to first peel your potatoes and then slice them into chunky potatoes similar in size to ones you would receive at a steak restaurant. Then place them into a mixing bowl, cover with water and soak them in the fridge for 15 minutes.
#2 Drain & Season & Mix
I always sprinkle the different seasonings over the French Fries after draining them and then give it a good mix in the bowl with my hands. At this point also add the olive oil. Don’t be shy get your hands in there and give it a good mix!
#3 Cook & Serve
Finally, cook your Air Fryer French Fries the Five Guys way! Cooked at 2 different temperatures gives it an amazing texture and makes you feel like you have luxury French Fries.
Five Guys Fries Calories
I love a good calorie compare, especially when I am showing off how much lower in calories an Air Fryer recipe is compared to the original.
When you go to Five Guys and order their famous Cajun Fries then you are talking 568g of Fries for 1300 calories.
Make the exact same amount of air fryer cajun fries and you have dropped the calories to 412 calories.
Of course 568g of French fries is a large portion and I would gladly make this amount as a side for the family, but if just eating fries you could split it to feed two people and that works out at 206 calories.
Or just think that with an air fryer you have dropped your homemade five guys French fries calories by 69%.
Five Guys Fries FAQ
- Are five guys fries cooked in peanut oil? Yes they are. They are most popular because of the use of peanut oil. It is also why five guys fries are so high in calories.
- Can you eat five guys fries with a peanut allergy? Please do not risk it. I hate the smell of peanuts and couldn’t smell any sign of it, but you know that it is there, and you know that there will be traces of peanut oil in your food.
- Can you reheat five guys fries? Yes you can. I would recommend a low heat for 5 minutes to reheat your five guys fries in the air fryer.
- Are cajun fries spicy? Not really. Its not like just adding chilli to your fries. It is a mild spice and the more of it that you use, the spicier your cajun fries will be. If you like your cajun fries spicy, then add more than what we have suggested.
- How to make cajun fries with frozen fries? If using frozen French fries it is harder to add dried cajun seasoning to frozen food. Therefore, when its time to shake the air fryer basket, add the cajun seasoning then and follow our air fryer frozen French fries recipe instead.
More Air Fryer Copycat Recipes
- Air Fryer Derby Cobb Salad
- Air Fryer Subway Meatball Sub
- Air Fryer KFC Chicken
- Air Fryer Wendy’s Chicken Burger
- Air Fryer Pizza Hut Cookie Dough
Your air fryer cajun fries recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Five Guys Cajun Fries
- Place your peeled potatoes into a medium sized bowl, cover it with cold water and soak in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Season the potatoes thoroughly, also add the olive oil and mix with your hands until your French Fries are well coated. Place the French Fries in the Air Fryer.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 160c/320f. Give it a shake and cook for a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f in order for them to become crispy.