Brown Derby Cobb Salad. How to make a delicious chicken cobb salad using the air fryer. Loaded with traditional cobb salad ingredients including bacon, chicken, eggs and crumbly cheese.
You will love this air fryer version of the original cobb salad. Instead of lots of washing up, all the cooking comes together in the air fryer basket. This will not only be the best tasting cobb salad but also the fastest to prepare.
Table of Contents
Brown Derby Cobb Salad
In the summer of 2012, I had the opportunity to spend 10 nights at Disney World. We had a wonderful time and seriously need to do it again. This time with our youngest two, as it was before they were born.
One of the highlights of Disney World was all the great food that we got the chance to eat.
We did one day only where we ate a different snack at every country in Epcot, did character dining and best of all tried the famous Brown Derby Cobb Salad.
I loved the traditional cobb salad recipe and on our return home it became the salad that I would always make for my family. I like to make the homemade cobb salad because its like strips of different salad items and if you have fussy eaters, you can pick and choose what salad items you love.
But what I don’t like about the cobb salad is cooking all the different cobb salad ingredients. Such as cooking the chicken, cooking the bacon, cooking the eggs and the list goes on.
That is why I had a great idea and wanted to show you how to take the classic cobb salad recipe from Brown Derby and convert it to the air fryer.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
What Is A Cobb Salad?
A cobb salad is an American green salad that includes beautiful lines of different salad items and the salad items are never mixed together.
The ingredients in a classic cobb salad include:
- Red Onion
- Crispy Bacon
- Chicken Breast
- Hard Boiled Eggs
Though what goes in a cobb salad can vary depending on where you live and how close you want to go to a traditional version.
For example, I will often make a quick cobb salad for dinner and serve it with what salad leftovers I have in the fridge.
Who Created The Cobb Salad?
Now you know what’s in a cobb salad, I am sure you want to know who created the cobb salad.
Well, it was a chef called Bob Cobb at the Brown Derby restaurant back in 1937. He was grabbing lots of salad ingredients from the fridge and came up with the idea of the layered cobb salad.
You could say it’s the salad of leftovers and a great chance for you to clear out your fridge and make a cobb salad.
Air Fryer Cobb Salad Ingredients List
Because we are using the air fryer for our cobb salad, it speeds up the process and we are using the air fryer for the following Derby salad ingredients:
- Hard Boiled Eggs – If you have followed our air fryer hard boiled eggs recipe you will know that eggs are easy in the air fryer. We are then cooking the chicken at the same time to save on cooking time.
- Chicken Breast – We are starting to cook the chicken breast at a lower temperature because of the eggs. Then when the eggs are removed the egg space is replaced with bacon.
- Crispy Bacon – All we have available is bacon bits and we are air frying them with the final part of cooking the chicken breast. It will mean that the chicken breast and the bacon will be ready at the same time. Making it easy to assemble.
Then whilst the air fryer is cooking your eggs, chicken, and bacon, you can be prepping the rest of your Derby chicken salad.
What Dressing Goes On Cobb Salad?
The cobb salad dressing is a simple one and I make my cobb salad dressing recipe whilst the boiled eggs and chicken breast are cooking in the air fryer.
The cobb salad dressing ingredients include:
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
These are all salad dressing ingredients that I have in and I never need to go grocery shopping for supplies.
Also, what I do is toss the cobb salad greens in the dressing rather than pour over the salad. This makes it more like a Mediterranean style salad and gives a great flavour to your salad greens and stops your avocado and tomatoes from going mushy, perfect for when you have leftovers in the fridge.
How To Make A Cobb Salad?
This is how to cook a cobb salad with the air fryer:
- Prep your chicken and cook hard boiled eggs and chicken breast together.
- Prepare your cobb salad dressing.
- Swap the eggs for bacon and peel your eggs.
- Assemble your salad and serve.
Just think about it for a minute. By using an air fryer you don’t have to boil a pan for the eggs, then use a pan for the chicken and a pan for the bacon.
What To Serve With Cobb Salad?
If there is just the two of you then the Brown Derby Famous Salad will be enough on its own.
But in the Milner house we are feeding a family of five, including a hungry teen and will pair it up with other food.
Then you have plenty of food to feed you all and then you can enjoy the leftovers the next day too.
Air Fryer Brown Derby Cobb Salad
Brown Derby Cobb Salad Ingredients:
- 4 Medium Tomatoes
- 150 g Lettuce
- 100 g Feta Cheese
- 1 Large Avocado
- ¼ Red Onion
- Season chicken breasts with oregano, salt and pepper and place in the air fryer with the eggs. Air fry for 16 minutes at 120c/250f.
- Whilst the eggs and chicken are air frying make your cobb salad dressing. Load all vinaigrette ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Then chop and clean your lettuce and toss in the dressing. Then layer your lettuce in your salad dish.
- When the air fryer beeps remove the eggs from the air fryer and replace with the bacon bits. Then remove the chicken breasts and chop into strips and cook for a further 6 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Whilst the bacon and chicken are cooking do the rest of your salad. Dice your avocado, peel and slice your red onion, slice your tomatoes, and chop up your cheese. Then layer in your salad. Peel and slice in half your hard boiled eggs and add these too. Then sprinkle your eggs and tomatoes with salt. When the air fryer beeps, find a section for your bacon and chicken and then serve.