How to cook the most delicious slow cooker curried sausages. This old fashioned sausage curry recipe is loaded with thick Cumberland sausages, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, and plenty of your favourite Indian curry seasonings.
Whether you call it curried sausages, sausage curry, or a spicy sausage casserole, you will love how it comes together in your slow cooker for an easy weeknight dinner.
Table of Contents
I can imagine the sausage curry trend starting with someone like my grandma. She loved to cook and would see all these different flavours coming together and become trendy and not know exactly what to do with them.
She realised that there was more to seasoning your food with Oxo cubes and salt and pepper and was looking for new inspiration.
Then someone out there got the slow cooker out and decided to transform the classic slow cooker sausage casserole into a slow cooker spicy sausage casserole.
Over the years that old fashioned transformation of the sausage casserole has become known as the sausage curry. It has been improved over the years, but it still resembles the delicious ingredients of a sausage casserole but tastes like a curry you would get from an Indian restaurant.
If you love curry and have not made curried sausages, then I highly recommend you try our slow cooker sausage curry as a fun old school curry and best of all, the leftovers reheat perfectly.
Are You New To The Slow Cooker?
This is perfect for you if you want to get more recipes for your slow cooker. Loaded with a lot of British classics and something for everyone.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to it in an instant.
What Are Curried Sausages?
Curried sausages or sausage curry is an old fashioned curry recipe. It is loaded with similar ingredients to a sausage casserole such as sausages, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and peas.
Then what sets it apart from a classic sausage casserole is that you have lots of curry flavours added to the slow cooker to create curried sausages. Such as curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, and cumin.
Low Calorie Curried Sausages
These curried sausages are also rather low calorie and suitable for Weight Watchers and Slimming World. This is because there is small quantity of oil used in cooking the sausages and sauteing the onion and there is no cream needed.
You can also sub the Cumberland sausages we are using for some reduced fat sausages or even use chicken or turkey sausages instead which are much lower in calories.
How Long Do Sausages Take To Cook In Slow Cooker?
Sausages take about 3 hours to cook on high in the slow cooker. However, when you cook sausages for curried sausages in the slow cooker, you can expect to add an hour onto the cook time as you have quite a lot going on at once in the slow cooker.
Would you like easy & amazing slow cooker recipes from slow cooker experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST slow cooker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful kitchen gadget resources.
Curried Sausage Recipe Ingredients
Sausages – We used some of our favourite Cumberland thick sausages from the butchers. If you can go with thick sausages as thin ones break up too easily in the slow cooker.
Onion & Garlic – I recommend you start your recipe for curried sausages with onion and sauteing it with extra virgin olive oil. You can add garlic at the same time or take our cheats method and use some garlic puree.
Veggies – Just like making a sausage casserole we recommend adding in potatoes, carrots and peas.
Tinned Tomatoes. I also recommend adding in some tinned tomatoes and these can be the base of your sausage curry. Plus, you will be amazed how good a curry is in the slow cooker with them.
Seasoning – Then for seasonings we have just kept it simple with salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, cumin, garam masala, and mild curry powder.
Yoghurt – I also recommend just before serving, to stir in some Greek yoghurt. It gives it that amazing creamy curry texture. Though if you want to keep the calories low you can use fat free yoghurt for this.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this recipe for curry sausages it has just been our Ninja Foodi. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of slow cooker recipes and also great for easy weeknight dinners.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our slow cooker recipes category as we have more than 100 tried and tested slow cooker recipes and have been using slow cookers for 18 years.
How To Make Curried Sausages?
- Brown. Start by loading your sausages with a little extra virgin olive oil into the slow cooker and giving them a quick brown.
- Peel. Remove the sausages and put to one side. Then peel and slice your onion and sauté in the little olive oil leftover from the sausages. Then once the onions have started to soften add in your prepped potatoes and carrots.
- Dump. Next slice your sausages into thirds and dump into the slow cooker along with tinned tomatoes, seasonings, and garlic. Mix well.
- Cook. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or low for 7 hours.
- Stir. When the slow cooker is done stir in frozen peas and Greek yoghurt before serving.
And I am sure you can see why this curry sausages recipe in the slow cooker is a true favourite of mine.
How To Thicken Curry In Slow Cooker?
The easiest way to thicken your slow cooker curried sausages sauce is to blend a little of your potatoes and carrots.
Both carrots and potatoes are natural thickeners.
And if your curried sausages seem a little watery it’s a very easy way to fix them and make them nice and thick and creamy.
More Slow Cooker Dinners
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef Hash
- Slow Cooker Pork Leg Joint
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew
- Slow Cooker Savoury Mince
- Slow Cooker Bacon Chops
- Slow Cooker Stovies
Your curried sausages slow cooker recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Slow Cooker Curried Sausages
- Start by browning your sausages. Either sauté with extra virgin olive oil or air fry for 6 minutes at 200c/400f. Then put the sausages to one side.
- Whilst the sausages are browning, peel and slice your carrots and onions and quarter your potatoes, keeping the skin on them.
- When the sausages are done and have been moved to one side, load your onion into the slow cooker and if there is no oil left, then add an extra teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Sauté your onion until it starts to soften.
- Load the carrots and potatoes into the slow cooker with the onions, add the seasonings and stir well so that the potatoes and carrots and onions are well coated in the seasonings.
- Cut your sausages into thirds and dump into the slow cooker.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes and garlic puree and stir well. Slow cook for 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- When the time is up add in Greek yoghurt and frozen peas and stir until the peas have warmed through and you have a creamy sausage curry.