Delicious slow cooker bacon chops. Cooked with baby potatoes, celery, and carrots in a mustard and cider sauce.
You will love this one pot slow cooker bacon chop recipe. Perfect for busy weeknights and the sauce is so good, you will want to save some for another meal.
Table of Contents
I was late to the bacon chop fan club. Not because I don’t like bacon, but because I had never heard of a bacon chop before, until one of my UK readers suggested it.
I mentioned that we were moving back to the UK (this was back in June 2021) and what British slow cooker recipes you would like to see.
This one lady asked for bacon chops.
I added them to my to do list and when we had been back in the UK a few months, went to the butchers and bought my first ever bacon chops.
Then loved them so much that I went back for more.
One batch was to make this slow cooker bacon chop recipe and the other for a bacon hotpot.
We now love bacon chops so much that whenever we go to the butchers, we have some!
This recipe today is my favourite way to cook bacon chops. It becomes a cheap all in one slow cooker meal and its perfect because you get your meat, potatoes and veggies and sauce all at the same time.
Are You New To The Slow Cooker?
This is perfect for you if you want to get more recipes for your slow cooker. Loaded with a lot of British classics and something for everyone.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to it in an instant.
What Are Bacon Chops?
If you have not heard of bacon chops before, then let me explain. Bacon in the UK is much leaner compared to the bacon that they have in the US.
Its so lean like pork that many Americans when they see a slice of our bacon cooked assume its not cooked properly because of its colour.
It is often referred to as back bacon.
That back bacon if you put 6-8 slices together and didn’t chop them would be the height of a pork chop and would be called a bacon chop.
Essentially a bacon chop is a big piece of bacon that is unsliced.
What Is The Difference Between A Pork Chop & A Bacon Chop?
A pork chop comes from the same place as the pork loin. Remove the bone from a pork chop and you have pork loin steaks.
Whilst a bacon chop comes from the back of the pig where the back bacon is cut from.
So, a bacon chop tastes like a bacon steak, whilst a pork chop tastes like a pork steak.
Is A Bacon Chop The Same As Gammon?
No, they are a little different. Gammon is cured ham, or the same as Virginian ham and a bacon chop comes from the back of the pig and is the same as Canadian bacon.
You will find when you taste a bacon chop that it tastes like classic British bacon, whilst gammon is like classic British roast ham.
Is Bacon Good In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, bacon is absolutely delicious in the slow cooker. Bacon is fantastic for quick cooking as its naturally tender. Then add in a slow cook in your Crockpot and bacon becomes so tender and just melts in your mouth.
What To Serve With Bacon Chops?
Bacon chops, which are also known as bacon steaks, are fantastic served with potato and veggies in a similar way to a classic British weeknight dinner.
I recommend going with baby potatoes, as they are slower cooking and wont go to mush, and root veggies such as carrots for the same reason.
We are also using our method of making a cider and veggie gravy from the leftovers from the slow cooker.
Would you like easy & amazing slow cooker recipes from slow cooker experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST slow cooker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful kitchen gadget resources.
Bacon Chop Recipe Ingredients
Chops – We used 4 bacon chops in this recipe. They are not huge and shrink when cooking, so you want to aim for 2 bacon chops for each person you are serving.
Potatoes – We also gathered up all the smaller potatoes from our bag of spuds. The sort that was pointless peeling as you would have too much waste. You could also buy a pack of new potatoes or salad potatoes specifically for this recipe.
Carrots – I also recommend peeling and dicing some carrots. Carrots are fantastic for the base of your creamy sauce and also don’t go too mushy when you slow cook them.
Celery – Also celery works very well with carrots and makes a fantastic sauce base.
Cider – Then instead of cooking with some stock, I recommend a can of cider. This works as the base for your sauce but also adds extra flavour to your bacon chops recipe.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your bacon chops I recommend parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and then some mustard for your sauce.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this bacon chops recipe it has just been our Crockpot Slow Cooker. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of slow cooker recipes and also great for one pot midweek dinners.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our slow cooker recipes category as we have more than 100 tried and tested slow cooker recipes and have been using slow cookers for 18 years.
How To Cook Bacon Chops?
- Prep. The bacon chops cooking instructions start with your prep. Peel your carrots, clean your celery, dice your carrots and celery. Prick your potatoes with a fork.
- Load. Then load into the slow cooker your carrots and celery, then top with bacon chops and place potatoes in the gaps.
- Season. Then season the bacon chops with your seasonings and then place the cider over the potatoes and not over the just seasoned chops.
- Cook. Slow cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Blend. After moving bacon chops to plates with potatoes and carrots its time to work on your cider and mustard sauce. Load into a blender mushy carrot, celery, mustard, cider liquid and a little of the bacon chop from the edge of the chop. Then blend until smooth and if not thick enough add a potato.
- Serve. Then pour your mustard sauce over the bacon chops and serve.
And I am sure you can see why this recipe for bacon chops is a true favourite of mine.
More Bacon Chop Ideas
Note that the bacon chop size and texture is very similar to a pork chop. So anyway you would enjoy a boneless pork chop, you can do with a bacon chop.
Your bacon chop recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Slow Cooker Bacon Chops
- Peel your carrots, clean your celery, and then slice your carrots and celery. Load them into the slow cooker.
- Load your bacon chops into the slow cooker over the carrots and celery. Prick the potatoes with a fork and add in the gaps around the bacon.
- Sprinkle seasoning over your bacon chops and then pour cider over the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, cook on high for 3 hours or 5.5 hours on low.
- You can check if the bacon chop recipe is done by doing the fork test on the potatoes as this is the longest food item to cook.
- Move the bacon chops, baby potatoes and firm carrots to dinner plates.
- Then into a blender add the cider, a few mushy carrots, some celery, and break off a little bacon chop off the edge. Add in your mustard and blend until smooth. If not thick enough add a potato. Then pour your mustard and cider sauce over the bacon chops and then serve.