I don’t know about you but Boxing Day (a bank holiday observed in England the day after Christmas) has always been the day when I have eaten bubble and squeak.
Bubble and squeak is traditionally a meal made with mash, cabbage and eggs and is either made into a pancake or baked in the oven. But for many it is used to mix together all the food that is leftover from Christmas so that you have no food waste and can have some comfort food.
Quite often ours will include some cabbage, mash, sprouts, vegetable bake, stuffing and even the odd parsnip that was left over from the roast potatoes tray. We then end up feeling just as stuffed on Boxing Day that we did on Christmas Day.
In many ways (thanks to the egg) it is like a vegetable omelette that has become a traditional thing for many Brits.
We also celebrate Thanksgiving (thanks to our American family for introducing us to another day to eat WAY too much food) and often have bubble and squeak the day after Thanksgiving.
But each time I eat it (because it is not very often) it becomes a delicious festive meal.
- Leftover Vegetables (mash, veggie bake, sprouts, cabbage, stuffing,
- 1 Medium Onion (peeled and sliced)
- 2 Medium Eggs (beaten)
- 4 Slices Turkey Breast
- 50g Cheddar Cheese
- 1Tbsp Mixed Herbs
- 1Tsp Tarragon
- Salt & Pepper
- Place your leftovers in a large mixing bowl and break them up so that there isn’t any really big bits and so that they are nicely blended together.
- Add the onion, eggs, cheese and seasoning.
- Chop up the turkey and add it to the bowl and mix everything well with your hands.
- Place the mixture either into a baking dish or into ramekins and then place in the Air Fryer.
- Cook for 25 minutes on 180c until it is bubbling on top.
We have put together 26 favourite recipes for you to enjoy with your trusted air fryer. They include potatoes, chips, meatloaf, meatballs and a range of other delights.
We are huge fans of Air Fryer cooking and use it to shave thousands off our monthly calories and even if you’re not in it for weight loss it is great for healthy eating. Kiss goodbye to the microwave and the fat fryer and say hello to the modern cooking world!
You can get your hands on it by clicking here.