Instant Pot Rice Pudding. How to use the instant pot to make the most delicious creamy and easy rice pudding. Using simple pantry ingredients you will love making old fashioned rice pudding in your pressure cooker.
This instant pot rice pudding was originally published in 2017 and was among the first instant pot recipes that we published on Recipe This. We hope you like the new photos and the extra info.
Before we dive into this instant pot rice pudding recipe, I recommend you check out our free instant pot mini course. It is ideal for instant pot beginners or those that want to get more confident with their instant pot. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Or browse our site as we have 250+ instant pot recipes that are easy to recreate at home and we have been showing people how to use the instant pot since 2016.
Rice Pudding In Instant Pot
Transport yourself back in time with delicious quick and easy old fashioned rice pudding recipe that is so frugal, yet so tasty at the same time.
That rice pudding made of short grain rice that we all had growing up at school for lunch or that your grandma would make you.
I always remember rice pudding from primary school. When I was between the ages of 7 and 11 it would feature regularly on the lunch menu.
It would be on a rota between the other classics that we all love. There would be the chocolate sponge cake and custard (I am getting hungry just thinking about it), chocolate flan with strawberry custard and not forgetting the spotted dick and custard.
Well, I was over the moon when Dominic suggested we try it out in the Instant Pot. It was the first dessert we ever did when we got our first Instant Pot in 2016 and all these years later it is still a favourite in the Milner house.
Can You Make Rice Pudding In An Instant Pot?
Yes, you can. Though do note, I am married to a chef and they are terrible with portion sizes, so half the recipe if you don’t want to be eating pressure cooker rice pudding for the next few days.
Many of you will be questioning how you make rice pudding in the instant pot, after all, it involves milk. We all know those horror stories of the milk explosions when releasing pressure when cooking with milk.
But don’t worry, as we have made a few adaptions to this instant pot rice pudding recipe so that it doesn’t happen to you.
Easy Instant Pot Rice Pudding
You probably want to know just how easy it is to make rice pudding using your instant pot.
Well, lets break down the rice pudding recipe for a minute:
- Heating up the ingredients – You need warm milk for rice pudding to come together. We start by heating everything up and getting everything well mixed.
- Pressure cooking the rice pudding – Next the focus is on pressure cooking your rice pudding so that you have soft yummy rice. You don’t want rice that is undercooked or overcooked and this is about getting the rice cooked perfectly.
- Natural pressure release – this is the important part as you don’t want a milk explosion and want to allow a full natural pressure release. We found this took 20 minutes for all pressure to be released.
Those are the three main steps to easy instant pot rice pudding. I bet you thought it was more complicated than that, but its very easy.
I also find the ingredients to make rice pudding are ones you have in your pantry already. Remember, for a minute, that rice pudding was originally an recipe enjoyed during the second world war to save money.
Rice Pudding With Jam
Old fashioned rice pudding would not be the same without jam would it? I am sure our grandparent’s generation would be disgusted by the idea of fancy bowls of rice pudding with fruit and cinnamon and would be asking where is the jam?
In the Milner house we always serve our rice pudding with a spoonful of strawberry jam. Though you can mix and match with whatever jam flavour you have in your pantry.
How To Make Rice Pudding In An Instant Pot?
Cooking rice pudding in the instant pot is so EASY:
- Load ingredients into the instant pot.
- Bring the sugar, rice, and milk to the boil.
- Pressure cook.
- Add in extras.
How Long To Pressure Cook Rice Pudding?
I always think all those preset buttons on the instant pot are a waste of time. Especially when I normally just use the pressure cook or manual button. But you have to love it when you click rice and it automatically sets it to the 12 minute perfect cook time.
More Instant Pot Sweet Tooth Favourites
In the Milner house, we have a real sweet tooth and love to make sweet things in the Instant Pot. Here are a few more sweet treats for you to try next.
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cake Bites
- Instant Pot Chocolate Box Cake
- Instant Pot Banoffee Pie
- Instant Pot Strawberry Cheesecake
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Place the sugar, rice, and milk into the Instant Pot. Place it on the sauté function and bring to the boil while stirring constantly. Don’t even leave it for a couple of seconds as it will stick to the bottom of your pot.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set it to sealing. Place it on the rice function for 12 minutes and it will be preset to the low pressure. After it has beeped, leave it for 15-20 minutes until all pressure has been release.
- Remove the lid and stir it for a few minutes adding the butter and the vanilla as you stir.
- Serve it with strawberry jam. Or for the naughty chef add some cream too!