Welcome to my five cheese baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
If there is one food that I have always loved it has to be macaroni cheese. It was something that I grew up on (after all what does a meat eating mum serve to her vegetarian teenager?) and the delicious flavour of the cheese and the pasta together with a nice bit of seasoning pleases pretty much everyone.
It was also one of the few things that I could cook as a teenager and soon became a signature dish. Over the years I must have made it thousands of times and the boys are always asking me when I was next making it.
But since “going Paleo” they have had it less and less. Plus when I do make it I make the sauce out of milk and soft cheese rather than flour, butter and milk, so they are always nagging me for the real thing.
So with September being all about “man food” I thought it was the perfect time to not think about calories and processed cheese and making a delicious macaroni cheese that features not one, but five different cheeses.
Bring on the cheddar cheese, feta cheese, soft cheese, goats cheese and mozerella all into one dish. I better not eat this regularly otherwise I can see myself really piling the pounds on!Five #Cheese #Baked #Macaroni & #Cheese Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- 400 g Macaroni Pasta
- 2 Bacon Rashers diced
- 1 Large Onion peeled and diced
- 100 g Plain Flour
- 100 g Butter
- 250 ml Whole Milk
- 50 g Cheddar Cheese
- 50 g Soft Cheese
- 50 g Feta Cheese
- 50 g Mozzarella Cheese
- 50 g Goats Cheese
- 1 Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tsp Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Sautee the onion in a pan with the olive oil and garlic for a couple of minutes or until the onion has gone soft. Add the bacon and carry on sautéing for a further couple of minutes. While it is cooking grate all your cheese (apart from the soft cheese).
- Put your pasta in a small saucepan and fill with water (so it’s just above the pasta) and place on a medium heat for about 12 minutes or until tender. You can hurry this process along by place a lid on the pan and then it will boil quicker.
- Make your cheese sauce – Add the butter and once it has melted on a medium heat with the rest of your ingredients, mix in the flour. Add your milk bit by bit until it makes a nice creamy sauce. Because you’re cooking pasta it makes the cheese sauce really thick so add some water or white wine to your sauce to water it down a bit.
- Add the soft cheese, goats cheese and the cheddar and mix well until you have a delicious cheese sauce.
- In an oven dish place your drained cooked pasta, cover it with cheese sauce and mix well so that the pasta is drowning in cheese sauce. Then cover the top with feta and the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the macaroni cheese in the oven on a 180c heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve with salad.