Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken. Introducing you to the best ever rotisserie chicken air fryer recipe. Perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked, and ideal for a quick and frugal chicken dinner.
You will love how easy it is to cook an air fryer rotisserie chicken on the spit and chef Dom makes it as simple as learning your ABC.
We originally shared with you how to cook a rotisserie chicken in an air fryer back in 2018 and 2019 and wanted to update it today for you and merge it into one post.
I remember the first time I ever bought a rotisserie chicken. It was at Safeways, who was then bought out and is now Morrisons.
It was the early 00’s and my friend worked at the rotisserie counter.
After chatting to her I bought a rotisserie chicken in the bag and took it home for me and Dominic to enjoy.
Note, we were very low income at the time, and it was a real treat and we thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
We loved how moist the chicken was, it was great fun watching it rotate and be cooked and it soon became a regular treat.
But over the years they have become more and more expensive and now we want to enjoy the chicken experience, just without the high cost.
That is when the air fryer rotisserie is just perfect, and we can watch delicious chicken (and other meats rotate) at home.
Plus, with cooking our own rotisserie chicken in an air fryer, we get to choose what gets added and when we have it.
If you have not made your own rotisserie chicken yet, then I urge you to read through this, follow Chef Dom’s tips and then get cooking your chicken!
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Can You Rotisserie A Chicken In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. BUT you have to have a rotisserie air fryer to be able to do it.
There are two types of air fryers. One with a basket and one that is like a small oven. The small oven air fryers are the ones that usually have a rotisserie but do check before buying.
Though my complaint with the power air fryer oven rotisserie is that the light stopped working after 30 days and I love to watch my chicken cooking.
Now you know the air fryer that does rotisserie chicken, lets talk you through the process.
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken On Spit
If you are wondering what an air fryer rotisserie chicken is and how it works, its best to compare it to meat cooked on the spit.
Think of those amazing Mediterranean outdoor events when the chicken or the pig on the spit.
It would be seasoned first and then loaded onto the spit.
Well, doing an air fryer oven rotisserie chicken is very similar. As Chef Dom demonstrates here, you are loading your chicken onto skewers and its like a mini spit inside of your air fryer oven.
Then it rotates just like a rotisserie does.
And of course, you are not limited to chicken either. Just think of all the different meats you can cook on the rotisserie.
Here on Recipe This we have recipes for the following:
And I am sure there are many others that you are thinking of, that would suit it perfectly.
I recommend you start with this rotisserie chicken air fryer recipe and then work your way through the different meats.
Rotisserie Chicken Air Fryer Ingredients
Chicken – The main ingredient you need is your whole chicken. Focus on a small or medium so that it will fit in your air fryer. When we did our video for air fryer roast duck we had to cut off the wings because it was so big it couldn’t rotate.
Oil – I recommend some extra virgin olive oil for the skin of your chicken. Plus, it stops your chicken from getting dry as it is cooking. Of course, you could swap this for another preferred oil such as coconut oil or avocado oil.
Seasoning – You will want your seasoning cupboard in this recipe. I recommend salt and pepper and then suggest you add your favourite seasoning. Dried cajun works well and my personal favourite is mixed herbs and thyme.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer rotisserie chicken recipe, it has just been our Tower Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes and perfect for rotisserie cooking.
You will also need some string. This is because the chicken legs need locking in place together to stop them getting stuck as it rotates.
How To Cook Rotisserie Chicken In Air Fryer Oven?
- String. Start by tying the chicken legs together with some string. This keeps them secure during cooking and is well worth the 1 minute it takes to do it.
- Season. Next smoother the extra virgin olive oil over all visible skin and then add the seasoning. The seasoning will then stick to the oil like glue and keep your chicken flavoursome.
- Secure. Then add your rod to the chicken and add the end skewers. You can then gently place it into the air fryer oven.
- Cook. Next cook for 50 minutes at 180c/360f. Add a little longer if your chicken is bigger than ours.
How Long To Cook Rotisserie Chicken In Air Fryer?
The air fryer rotisserie chicken cook time is JUST 50 minutes. Which if you compare it to roasting a chicken on a spit or cooking a whole chicken in the oven, it is much quicker.
The air fryer rotisserie chicken temperature is 180c/360f. This ensures an even cook without it being too dry and keeping the chicken nice and juicy.
Plus, because the rotisserie chicken in the air fryer is consistently rotating, it is helping to create the best crispy skin that you have ever had on a chicken.
More Whole Chicken Recipe Ideas
I don’t know about you, but I love to cook a whole chicken. It’s a cheap item to buy from the grocery store, will do at least two mealtimes and who doesn’t love juicy chicken?
Here are a few other suggestions if you love whole chicken too:
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken & Stuffing
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken & Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken (includes a fantastic FREE cooking chart)
- Air Fryer Roast Chicken Dinner (includes 6 sides)
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken
- Air Fryer Oven
- Using string tie up your chicken legs to secure them in place.
- Grab your rod and place it through the neck of the chicken and push it through until it comes out at the bum end. Then screw in the clamps at each end.
- Next, smoother your chicken in extra virgin olive oil or your favourite alternative oil and then season well.
- Place the whole chicken in the air fryer oven and make sure it is secure and will not fall during rotisserie cooking.
- Air fry for 50 minutes at 180c/360f. Though watch it for the first 1-2 minutes to make sure it rotates properly and stays in place. Then remove from the air fryer and rest for 5 minutes before carving.