This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Apple Crisp. How to make a delicious apple crisp or apple crumble in the air fryer. Load ingredients into ramekins and air fry until crispy and yummy. Mix and match with seasonal fruit.
Our air fryer apple crisp was originally shared on Recipe This in 2017. This is the updated version with more photos and more apple crisp ideas.
Air Fryer Apple Crisp
I just love apple crisp.
The first time I ever had apple crisp was at school aged 11. It was the first thing that we were taught how to cook by our home economics teacher.
I loved it.
Each week we would cook something different.
There were scones, apple crisp, apple crumble and plenty of other delicious kid favourites.
When we used to do cooking at school it was always a case of carrying around all those measured out ingredients with you all day.
Then you would proudly carry your cooked produce around with you until you got home.
Well that was us girls – the boys on the other hand will have forgotten their ingredients and blagged some from the girls. And then they would have eaten it all before they got home!!!!
Along with business studies, food was my favourite subject, so no wonder I became a food blogger.
Though, never thought that 27 years later, I would be converting your favourite apple crisp to the air fryer.
Difference Between Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble
You will notice that I mentioned both apple crisp and apple crumble above. They have the same air fryer cook time, both taste delicious, but I am sure you want to know what the difference is?
Well apple crisp uses a topping that is loaded with oats and apple crumble is a butter and flour topping.
The recipe I am showing you how to make today is half air fryer apple crisp and half air fryer apple crumble.
To achieve this, we make an apple crumble topping, then add in some oats to give it more of a crunch.
Then it has the delicious texture of apple crisp while tasting like an apple crumble.
Air Fried Apples
Apples go very well in the air fryer. I have cooked apples many ways in the air fryer, since I got my first air fryer back in 2011.
Though my personal favourite will always be the apple crumble.
Obviously, you can’t load an apple crumble or crisp into the air fryer basket as there would be a lot of mess.
But what you can do instead is either make:
- Apple Crisp In A Mug – Where you load the ingredients into a mug that fits the air fryer and it will be like a mug cake.
- Ramekin Apple Crisp – Load into ramekins and you will have little desserts that are ideal for dinner parties or for kids.
Though what we did was check first to see what we had that would fit in the air fryer. Sadly, we only have three ramekins as the 4th came damaged from Amazon.
But it was just one each for me, Sofia, and Jorge, so it was fine.
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe For Kids
I love baking with the kids. If I am baking the kids will be by my side that is a guarantee.
They also help with the photos and you will find them with their cameras on during baking sessions.
If you have kids with you, then they will love tossing the apples in sugar, rubbing the fat into the flour, and watching you place the ramekins in the air fryer.
The ingredients for apple crisp, are simple everyday ingredients that you can source, without having to go grocery shopping.
You can also mix and match with what you have in and swap fruits.
- Apples – Any apples that you can peel, and dice will be perfect for apple crisp in the air fryer. You can also swap for pears, summer fruits, blueberries etc.
- Fat – If the kids are doing the baking, I will use margarine as its easier for them to use. If not, it is always butter.
- Sweetener – Any caster sugar or other baking sugar works well. I also mix sugar with cinnamon for the ultimate apple crisp flavour.
Any air fryer will do a good job at air fryer apple crisp, though we are using our Philips Air Fryer XL.
How To Make Apple Crisp In Air Fryer?
The quick version of making apple crisp in air fryer goes as follows:
- Dice apples and toss in sugar and cinnamon.
- Rub fat into flour, add sugar and oats.
- Load apples into ramekins and coat with topping.
- Air fry + binge.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
How Long Do You Bake Apple Crisp?
The air fryer crisp cook time is 13 minutes. This includes 8 minutes cook at a lower temperature, followed by 5 minutes on high.
This ensures that your apple crisp is cooked thoroughly and is nice and crispy.
Apple Crisp Not Browning?
If your apple crisp is not browning, then I recommend that you spray the top with extra virgin olive oil and cook for a further 3 minutes on 200c/400f.
How To Reheat Apple Crisp?
If you would like to reheat your apple crisp, then I would recommend a lower temperature of 160c/320f for 6 minutes.
Then place a knife into the centre, hold the knife down and if the knife is not hot on touch, then add an extra 4 minutes.
Can You Freeze Apple Crisp?
Absolutely. Though this never happens to me as I have already eaten it. No apple crisp leftovers in our house!
To freeze apple crumble, wait until it is completely cool. Then cover with silver foil and place in your freezer.
Then reheat from defrosted at a later date.
Air Fryer Apple Crisp
- Peel and dice apples and load into a mixing bowl. Toss in caster sugar and cinnamon. Transfer into ramekins.
- Load flour and butter into a bowl and rub the fat into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add sugar and oats until it is well mixed.
- Add topping onto apples and load the ramekins into the air fryer basket.
- Start with 160c/320f for 8 minutes, followed by 200c/400f for 5 minutes and serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: