How to cook a slow cooker silverside. Let me show a delicious recipe for roasting silverside of beef in the slow cooker.
Smothered in a delicious marinade and cooked on a bed of veggies this silverside recipe is perfect for Sunday dinners, or just an easy roast beef to use in sandwiches and salads.
Table of Contents
One of my favourite slow cooker roast beef recipes is slow cooker topside.
Delicious roast beef, that slices perfectly, is full of flavour and is perfect for being the star of your Sunday roast dinner.
But what is often overlooked is the topside’s sister and that is silverside. It has a better texture to it than topside and is just as flavoursome when cooked in the slow cooker.
Even better when you cook silverside in a slow cooker it is much more tender compared to the oven or another cooking device and unlike the pressure cooker, a silverside in the slow cooker locks in the flavour.
Today I wanted to share with my go to silverside slow cooker recipe so that you can recreate it at home next time you have a silverside joint that needs cooking.
Are You New To The Slow Cooker?
This is perfect for you if you want to get more recipes for your slow cooker. Loaded with a lot of British classics and something for everyone.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to it in an instant.
What Is Silverside?
Silverside is the sibling to beef topside. That is because the silverside is cut from a similar area of the cow, that the topside is cut from.
I like to think of beef silverside as the more flavoursome alternative to the topside because of its grainy texture it tastes better once cooked. Yet topside doesn’t need to be slow cooked, yet silverside does, otherwise it can be tough.
You can then use your silverside beef for cubing for stews, roasting in the slow cooker or even for making our air fryer Cornish pasties with.
Best Meat For Slow Cooker?
The best meat for the slow cooker is meat that needs to be cooked slow to get the best flavour and to stop it from being tough.
That is why the likes of braising steak aka chuck roast, liver, pork belly, pork shoulder, and silverside beef are all considered to be the hero of the slow cooker.
Best Way To Cook Silverside Beef?
The best way for cooking silverside is in the slow cooker. The slow cooker will make sure the silverside will be as tender as fillet, whilst creating a delicious flavour that is perfect for your Sunday roast beef.
You can then slice your silverside just like you would if you oven baked your silverside.
Would you like easy & amazing slow cooker recipes from slow cooker experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST slow cooker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful kitchen gadget resources.
Silverside Recipe Ingredients
Beef – We used a 1.3kg/2.8lb silverside joint that we bought from the butchers. It’s the perfect size for a family or two people plus loads of yummy beef sandwiches!
Veggies – We used onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes to flavour the slow cooker and cook with the silverside. You can mix and match with what you have in.
Stock – We love to make instant pot veggie stock and then freeze it for later. Then we can add the stock whilst frozen to the slow cooker and it will defrost and heat up with the beef.
Seasonings – Then for seasonings we used salt, pepper, Worcester sauce, garlic puree, tomato puree, and bouquet garni.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this silverside slow cooker recipe it has just been our Crockpot. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of slow cooker recipes and also great for easy Sunday lunches.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our slow cooker recipes category as we have more than 100 tried and tested slow cooker recipes and have been using slow cookers for 18 years.
How To Cook Silverside In Slow Cooker?
- Sauté. I recommend you start by browning your silverside on both sides in your slow cooker. Then put the silverside to one side whilst you add in the other ingredients.
- Dump. Next dump your peeled and diced veggies into the slow cooker and add your frozen veggie stock.
- Score. Then score your silverside with salt, pepper, Worcester sauce, tomato puree, garlic puree and then add the bouquet garni.
- Cook. Load your silverside into the slow cooker over the veggies and then slow cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Blend. After moving the silverside to rest before slicing, get out your hand blender. Then blend the ingredients of the slow cooker until smooth. You now have a delicious silverside sauce to serve with your beef.
- Serve. Once the silverside has rested (approximately 10 minutes) slice and then serve with your gravy sauce.
And I am sure you can see why this recipe for silverside is a true favourite of mine.
How Long To Cook Silverside In Slow Cooker?
The beef silverside cooking time is JUST 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low and that is the average cook time for a lot of roast beef recipes in the Crockpot.
You could use our slow cooker silverside on high cook time and then use that on a topside, rump roast or another one of your favourite beef cuts.
More Slow Cooker Sunday Dinners
Beyond cooking silverside in the slow cooker there are many other great options for a slow cooker Sunday roast. These are fantastic because you can put it on at breakfast time and then have a roast dinner ready for you later.
Here are a few more of my favourite slow cooker Sundays:
- Slow Cooker Topside Roast Beef
- Slow Cooker Bacon Chops
- Slow Cooker Lamb Chops
- Slow Cooker Savoury Mince
- Slow Cooker Brisket & Gravy
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
Your slow cooker silverside beef recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Slow Cooker Silverside
- Clean and dice your celery. Peel your onion, carrots and potatoes then dice them and put to one side.
- Place your extra virgin olive oil in your slow cooker, warm up on the hob and then brown your silverside on both sides.
- Remove the silverside and add in your veggies and your frozen stock cube.
- Score the silverside and then add the seasonings and also smother with the tomato puree, garlic puree and Worcester sauce.
- Place the silverside over the veggies and set the slow cook function to 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- When the slow cooker is done put the cooked silverside roast to one side and using a blender, blend the liquid. This is your beef sauce, and any leftover can be frozen once cool.
- Slice your silverside and then serve it with your favourite sides and your delicious beef sauce.