This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Delicious roast in air fryer. Let me show you how you can cook a roast dinner in the air fryer and mix and match with different roasting meats. Cook the roast, the veggies, and the potatoes at the same time in the air fryer, plus add in extra seasonal sides.
You can follow this roast air fryer method with pork, beef, chicken, turkey, ham, gammon, duck, venison or another favourite.
Table of Contents
Air Fryer Roast
I love an air fryer roast. The idea on a Sunday when you are making a roast dinner, that you can cook an air fryer roast for a lot less effort than the traditional oven method.
As we are doing our shop local challenge this week and showing you savings to make on food and how many recipes you can make from quality ingredients, I just had to do a roast dinner.
To show that the air fryer is not just about saving money on electricity but also for saving money by using a few bits and bobs that you already have in.
The cheapest roast dinner to make is a pork leg roast. Pork leg is delicious and so flavoursome and yet when we think of a roast dinner, we are all about the roast beef, the roast lamb, or the pork loin roast.
BUT OMG roast leg of pork is amazing and a much cheaper option, yet you can have similar sides and bring it altogether using the air fryer, and that’s exactly what we are showing you today is our pork leg roast air fryer recipe.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Shop Local Air Fryer Challenge
We love shopping local and have a favourite greengrocer that we get weekly veggie boxes from and a local butcher that supplies a lot of the meat you see on Recipe This. We often find that the quality is much better, and the prices are similar too. We challenged ourselves to make as many meals as possible out of a veg box + meat box and share with you the results.
This air fryer recipe is one of those recipes and click here to view our air fryer shop local recipes.
Can You Air Fry A Roast?
Yes, you can air fry a roast and you will love it. Think of the oven tray you normally use to cook a roast with the oven and imagine that food into the air fryer basket instead.
What Is The Roast Setting In Air Fryer?
Some air fryers have a roast setting. This basically means that when you cook in the air fryer, you press the roast setting and it will have a specific time and temp set for you.
These are not very practical because they often don’t match the time and temp you need to do.
We recommend instead to avoid this and go with manual or an air fry button and set your own time and temp.
Can You Do A Whole Roast Dinner In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook a full roast dinner in the air fryer. We show you this in our air fryer roast chicken dinner, or our air fryer gammon dinner. Its all about making good use of the space you have around the meat and making sure the time and temps work correctly for you.
What Is The Difference Between Air Fry & Roast?
The difference between air fry and roast is simply fancy presets on an air fryer, to make the air fryer look more fancy.
The better air fryers, just have a time and temp button and that is it, just like a traditional oven has, but now today’s modern air fryers have loads of buttons. Simply ignore them and manually set the time and temp.
Is Roasting In Air Fryer Healthy?
Yes, it is and that is because it uses less oil and the oil drips off the food too, so an air fryer roast is not cooking in the fat.
Kind of a bit like grilling vs oven baked.
Also think of the potatoes and veggies. When you air fry potatoes and carrots, they cook in a tiny bit of oil, compared to the lots of oil needed in the oven.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Air Fry A Roast Ingredients
Meat – We used a boneless pork leg joint that was just over a kilo. You will find that if it’s a little under it will take slightly less or slightly more, depending on its size.
Sides – Because our focus in cooking a roast in an air fryer is using up what we have in, we used a bit of swede, an apple from the fruit bowl, 1 large potato and some carrots. Though you can mix and match.
Oil – Then you will need a small amount of oil for the veggies and the apple. We used extra virgin olive oil as it is very good in the air fryer.
Seasoning – Then for the seasonings its personal choice to what you want to include but we love keeping it simple with some salt, pepper, mixed herbs and parsley.
Extras – We also included some spare gravy from the freezer, pack of pigs in blankets and of course some stuffing balls.
Can You Recommend An Air Fryer?
I often get asked which air fryers I recommend and which one I use. In 95% of our air fryer recipes, we use either the Philips Air Fryer XL or the Cosori XL because they are the best ones, we have found out of many air fryers we have tried over the years. You can click on the links above and read up on them.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested everyday air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10+ years.
How To Cook A Roast In The Air Fryer?
- Start. Cooking a roast in the air fryer takes while so start by giving the pork a 10 minute head start with some salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Then at the same time prep the veggies and mix them with some oil and seasoning ready for when the air fryer beeps.
- Beeps. Then when the air fryer beeps, add the bowl of prepped veggies to the gaps around the meat and cook for 40 minutes at 180c/360f. Though shake the veggies halfway through and turn the meat.
- Swap. When the air fryer beeps remove the veggies and put to one side and add the pigs in blankets and the stuffing balls. Air fry for 20 minutes and then once the pork is cooked, put the pork to one side to rest and dish up the pigs in blankets and stuffing balls.
- Cook. Then do a final cook for 10 minutes of the veggies just to make sure they are fork tender before serving everything together.
How To Cook A Roast In A Ninja Air Fryer?
You can cook a roast in the Ninja exactly the same way, but if you have a double drawer air fryer you can spread the food between the two baskets instead of one. Though I do find the Ninja to be a little slower than my other air fryers, so you might need to add on a couple of extra minutes of cook time.
How Long To Cook Roast In Air Fryer?
The cooking time for an air fryer roast varies a little depending on the size of your roast and if you are adding in sides or not.
We have found that a chicken roast dinner can be done in an hour, but a pork roasting joint of a kilo (2.2lbs) will be closer to 1 hour 20 minutes.
What Temperature Do You Roast In An Air Fryer?
The ideal temperature for cooking a roast dinner in the air fryer is 180c which is 360f. This will then ensure the meat is cooked in the middle, as well as giving it a crispy texture.
Listen To Air Fryer Pork Leg Roast Dinner
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Air Fryer Roast Dinner Ideas You Will Love!
- Air Fryer Pot Roast
- Air Fryer Rump Roast
- Air Fryer Lamb Roast
- Air Fryer Gammon Dinner
- Air Fryer Roast Chicken Dinner
Your roast in air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Pork Leg Roast In Air Fryer
- Place the pork leg into the air fryer basket and season with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs. Air fry for 10 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Whilst the air fryer is cooking the pork peel and chop into roasties the swede, carrot, and potato. Slice the apple into wedges. Then place into a bowl with the olive oil, salt, pepper, teaspoon of parsley and a teaspoon of mixed herbs and mix well with your hands.
- When the air fryer beeps add the veggies and apple in the gaps around the pork and air fry for 20 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Turn the pork over, season with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of mixed herbs, shake the air fryer for the veggies to turn over and not be stuck together and do another 20 minutes at the same temperature on the other side.
- When the air fryer beeps, put the veggies to one side and then add the pigs in blankets and the stuffing balls into the gaps. Air fry for 20 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Then when the air fryer beeps remove the pork to a chopping board and allow it to rest and add the veggies you put to one side back into the air fryer and air fry for another 10 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Do a fork test to make sure they are fork tender to your liking before serving everything together.