If you love warm apple pie, then you will love this super easy pie maker apple pie. Made from scratch but with plenty of recipe hacks along the way to make it taste better and be prepped quicker.
Perfect for a sweet treat in your pie maker and easy to adapt with other favourite fruits.
Apple Pie Pie Maker
As part of pie week, the excitement was always with the apple pie in the pie maker.
To use some shortcuts to make warm mini apple pies that were so addictive that you would have to go back for a second.
An apple pie pie maker recipe that you would want to follow each time you have some leftover apples in the fruit bowl that nobody seems to be eating.
Combining the talents of the air fryer and the pie maker. The air fryer is perfect for a quick cook of your apple chunks, before you load them into pastry to cook in your pie maker.
Even better, you could swap apple for pears, or your other favourite fruit filling for sweet pies.
My Breville Pie Maker
A few months ago, I saw a Breville Pie Maker for sale in one of the Facebook Groups. They only wanted £5 for it, and I jumped at the chance to buy one, and bring it home.
I had looked for months for one of those Aussie pie makers that does 4 pies at once but couldn’t find one anywhere and opted for this 2 pie Breville Pie Magic instead.
This week is all about a week of me and my new pie maker. Whilst today is all about apple pie in the pie maker we have also featured this week:
If you are new to the pie maker, do check out our pie maker recipes category and I am sure beyond this week we will be adding even more.
How To Make Apple Pie Filling?
The best bit is the apple pie filling and how ridiculously simple it is to make.
What you do is toss peeled and diced apples in extra virgin olive oil and a little sugar and air fry.
This creates soft apple chunks at the speed of lightening, without waiting on the stove for your apples to cook.
Then when the air fryer beeps, apple chunks are loaded into a bowl with cinnamon, cream, and a sprinkle of sugar.
It is then mixed and loaded into your pie crust.
Do You Have To Peel Apples For Apple Pie?
Yes, you do. Otherwise, you will end up with a hard texture inside of your apple pie. Though because we are making mini apple pies in the pie maker, you don’t need to peel as many apples as you would with a big pie.
Do You Cook Apples Before Making Apple Pie?
Yes, you do. If you don’t cook the apples before making the apple pie, your cook times will be totally off.
For example, apples take a while to cook, and pastry doesn’t.
You would end up with a cooked pastry and raw apples in the middle.
Best Apples To Use In Apple Pie?
I can just hear my old school economics teacher telling me that apple pie must be made with Granny Smith’s apples.
But any apples that have a good flavour, will be perfect in your apple pie. I recommend you just grab some apples that need using up from your fruit bowl.
Would you like easy & amazing pie maker recipes from pie experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST pie maker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful pie resources.
Mini Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients
Pastry – I use our pie crust for the bottom of my apple pies and then add a puff pastry lid. But what I also do is add 1oz (28g) of caster sugar to my pie crust as I make it and it makes a delicious sweet pastry. You can also make your sweet pastry more flavoursome by adding in cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Filling – For the filling I love diced apples with cream, cinnamon, and some caster sugar. But when I originally made these pie maker apple pies it was Christmas, and I had all these Christmas ingredients in and used brandy cream and it gave it a lovely flavour.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this pie maker apple pie recipe it has just been our Breville Pie Maker. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of mini pie recipes.
How To Make Apple Pie In Pie Maker?
- Filling. I recommend you start by making your apple pie filling. You can use any apples and just peel and dice them. Then toss them in extra virgin olive oil and a little sugar and air fry. It takes just 12 minutes to have air fryer cooked apples for an apple pie.
- Mix. Then mix your cooked apple in a bowl with cinnamon, cream and some more sugar.
- Roll. Next roll out the pastry for the bottom and top of your mini apple pies. Add the bottom to the pie maker, add the filling, then add the top and then add your egg wash.
- Cook. Then cook until you have golden mini apple pies. This took approximately 12 minutes with our Breville pie maker apple pie recipe.
- Sprinkle. Then add a sprinkle of caster sugar over your apple pies and then they are done.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook apple pies in the pie maker and why I have fallen in love with my new, super cheap kitchen gadget.
Pie Maker Apple Pie Tips & Tricks
- Always fill the pie maker to ¾ full. Otherwise, you will end up with the filling coming out and making a lot of mess.
- Experiment with the cookie cutters you have and then find your ideal one that you can use for the perfect pie. We tried about four until we found our perfect one.
- Any brand of pie maker will work well. We have Breville but there are so many to choose from.
- Always snip with a pair of scissors at the top of your pie lid. This will help your pies breathe and cook through during the cooking process.
- Pie makers get very hot, don’t allow children to touch it after use.
Interesting Pie Maker Trick – When doing batch 2 your pie maker will still be red hot. Don’t add the next batch of pastry until your filling is ready. Or you will end up with the bottom of your pie cooking much faster than the top.
Can you freeze pie maker pies? Yes, you can. We make mini apple pies in bulk when we have leftover apples and then freeze them for later once they are cool.
Your apple pie maker recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful resources.
Pie Maker Apple Pie
- Peel and dice your apples into bite size chunks. Add to a bowl and toss in 1tsp of caster sugar and a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Load into the air fryer. Cook for 12 minutes at 180c/360f.
- When the air fryer beeps add the cooked apples back into the bowl and toss in the filling ingredients above.
- Roll out your pie crust bottom (made of homemade shortcrust pastry) and the puff pastry lid. Then place the shortcrust bottom into the pie maker.
- Add the apple pie filling and then press down the puff pastry lid. Snip the top of the pie with scissors to allow your pie to breathe as it cooks.
- Brush with egg wash and then place the lid down on your pie maker and cook for 12 minutes or until golden.