If there is a kitchen gadget that makes the most delicious quiche, it is the pie maker. And today we are showing you how to make the best pie maker quiche with or without pastry.
You will love the simplicity of pie maker quiche and it’s a great starting point for new pie maker owners.
Quiche In Pie Maker
I grew up on delicious quiches. I would watch my aunt make them and think it was the most delicious thing ever on the buffet table.
It was always made with shortcrust pastry, loaded with cheese and onion, and then topped with slices of tomato.
You could guarantee that once the buffet was over with, that there would be no quiche left and I often considered it to be her signature dish, even though she could make a lot more beyond the quiche.
Now for breakfast I often make me and Dominic a crustless quiche in the air fryer or an air fryer breakfast casserole. Its simple and we can reheat the leftovers and it has the taste of a quiche but without the calories of the pastry.
For kickstarting our week dedicated to the pie maker (more on that below) I wanted to meet in the middle. By sharing with you how to make pie maker quiche with shortcrust pastry and a pie maker quiche without pastry.
Then you can choose which one you would rather eat and then get making it at home with your pie maker.
My Breville Pie Maker
A few months ago, I saw a Breville Pie Maker for sale in one of the Facebook Groups. They only wanted £5 for it, and I jumped at the chance to buy one, and bring it home.
I had looked for months for one of those Aussie pie makers that does 4 pies at once but couldn’t find one anywhere and opted for this 2 pie Breville Pie Magic instead.
This week is all about a week of me and my new pie maker. What I have made with my pie maker, tips, tricks, and the different fillings I have used.
If you are new to the pie maker, do check out our pie maker recipes category and I am sure beyond this week we will be adding even more.
Can You Use Shortcrust Pastry In A Pie Maker?
Yes, you can and our pie maker with pastry does use shortcrust pastry. I was taught by my grandma, how to make the best shortcrust pastry and she used to use it in everything. Especially for making my dad a bacon and egg pie with.
What I did was make a big batch of shortcrust pastry following this pie crust recipe, then I just used it with several different pie maker recipes including this pie maker quiche.
Do You Bake Pie Crust For Quiche?
There is no need to bake your pie crust for quiche but I know many people do. I watched my aunt make the best quiche and she never once baked the pie crust first.
You would only need to bake your pie crust if adding a non-bake topping such as a chocolate tart.
Can You Make Quiche Without A Pie Crust?
Yes, you can. It then becomes a different type of quiche. Such as a pie maker omelette, a pie maker crustless quiche or even a pie maker impossible quiche.
I recommend you check out our air fryer egg cups above and then imagine doing the exact same thing in the pie maker for breakfast.
What Is A Crustless Quiche?
You’re probably now wondering what a crustless quiche is.
Well, a crustless quiche is just like it sounds.
It’s a quiche without the pastry crust. It is often thought of as a frittata because a frittata is much like a quiche, just minus the pastry.
What Is A Pie Maker Tortilla Quiche?
Something else I often get asked is what is a pie maker tortilla quiche and how does this differ from the crustless quiche and the quiche with pastry.
Well, a pie maker tortilla quiche is what I call Weight Watchers genius.
You swap shortcrust pastry in your pie maker for a Weight Watchers tortilla wrap like you see below:
The tortilla wrap then becomes pastry and you make it as usual. It makes it very low points on WW or low syns on SW.
If you have done this before, do also check out our air fryer slimming world pasties which uses the same method for making pasties and answers a lot of your questions about it.
Would you like easy & amazing pie maker recipes from pie experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST pie maker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful pie resources.
Ingredients For Pie Maker Quiches
Pastry – You will need either a batch of our pie crust or some tortilla wraps to make these yummy pie maker quiches.
Filling – My favourite filling is grated cheddar cheese, and some sliced tomatoes. You can use the same or make some other ones.
Batter – Then for your quiche batter I recommend large eggs that are beaten with a dash of milk.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your mini quiches I recommend salt, pepper and parsley.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this pie maker quiche recipe it has just been our Breville Pie Maker. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of mini pie recipes.
How To Make Quiche For Pie Maker?
- Liquid. Start by beating two eggs in a jug and adding a dash of milk. Then mix in your seasonings.
- Create. To create your quiches in your pie maker you will need to add your pastry and then add any fillings to it such as cheese and bacon. Then pour over your liquid, add any extra seasonings, and place the lid down on your pie maker.
- Cook. Then cook until you have golden mini quiches. This took approximately 8 minutes with our Breville pie maker quiche recipe.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook quiche in the pie maker and why I have fallen in love with my new, super cheap kitchen gadget.
Pie Maker Tortilla Quiche
To make a pie maker tortilla quiche it’s the exact same method, just a change of crust. Instead of making a batch of homemade shortcrust pastry, you load tortilla wraps into your pie maker instead.
This is how a pie maker tortilla quiche looks once it is cooked:
Pie Maker Quiche Recipes
There are of course many variations on pie maker quiches that you could create at home in your pie maker.
Here are a few suggestions if cheese and tomato is not your thing:
- Pie Maker Breakfast Quiche – You can add any of your favourite omelette fillings and load it into the pie maker. My favourite is red peppers and cherry tomatoes with cheese.
- Pie Maker Ham & Cheese Quiche – Swap half the grated cheese for ham. This great for when you have leftover ham or gammon that needs using up.
- Pie Maker Quiche Lorraine – Sauté some bacon before making your pies and add bacon and cheese to your quiche. This was my grandma’s favourite when I was growing up.
Pie Maker Quiche Tips & Tricks
- Always fill the pie maker to half full. Otherwise, you will end up with the filling coming out and making a lot of mess.
- Experiment with the cookie cutters you have and then find your ideal one that you can use for the perfect pie. We tried about four until we found our perfect one.
- Any brand of pie maker will work well. We have Breville but there are so many to choose from.
- Pie makers get very hot, don’t allow children to touch it after use.
Interesting Pie Maker Trick – When doing batch 2 your pie maker will still be red hot. Don’t add the next batch of pastry until your filling is ready. Or you will end up with the bottom of your pie cooking much faster than the top.
Can you freeze pie maker pies? Yes, you can. But only if you are not using leftover meat. Because if you are, meat can only be reheated once. The freezer and reheat method of pies does work well with ones without meat or those you would normally have cold.
Your quiche pie maker recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful resources.
Pie Maker Quiche
- Crack your eggs into a mixing jug and beat with a fork. Then add in your milk, salt, pepper, and parsley and mix until you get a pale colour.
- Roll out your shortcrust pastry and load into your pie maker.
- Add in the grated cheese, pour over the egg mixture and finish with halved cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of basil.
- Place the lid down on your pie maker and cook for 8 minutes or until golden.