If you love a vegetarian pie filled with leftover veggies and a creamy sauce, then you will love pie maker vegetable pies.
Loaded with leftover veggies, cream, and plenty of cheese, it’s the best tasting veggie pie ever!
In my top 3 childhood favourite foods was always the British favourite vegetable bake.
Think mac and cheese but swapping the pasta for seasonal vegetables and you had vegetable bake.
Usually, the vegetable bakes from my childhood would include potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, swede, parsnips and often some onion too.
It was then smothered in a delicious creamy cheese sauce that always had Cathedral mature cheddar.
It was food heaven.
Years later, as I enter my 40’s I am still crazy for a veggie bake. And best of all, I love to use my veggie bake leftovers to make a yummy vegetable pie.
A veggie pie that tastes so good, you forget for a moment that it is vegetarian.
My Breville Pie Maker
A few months ago, I saw a Breville Pie Maker for sale in one of the Facebook Groups. They only wanted £5 for it, and I jumped at the chance to buy one, and bring it home.
I had looked for months for one of those Aussie pie makers that does 4 pies at once but couldn’t find one anywhere and opted for this 2 pie Breville Pie Magic instead.
This week is all about a week of me and my new pie maker. What I have made with my pie maker, tips, tricks, and the different fillings I have used. Yesterday I showed you how to make pie maker chicken pie, the day before it was pie maker meat pie, and we started with pie maker quiche and today it’s all about my veggie pie maker recipe.
If you are new to the pie maker, do check out our pie maker recipes category and I am sure beyond this week we will be adding even more.
Easy Vegetable Pie
When I was learning to cook (way back as an 18 year old trying to impress my chef boyfriend), I thought that I wasn’t very good at cooking.
But now looking back, I realise I was a great cook, I just hadn’t learnt about cooking shortcuts or about making awesome meals from leftovers.
Nowadays I use hacks, such as using kitchen gadgets and always have a lot of yummy leftover meals, so that I am starting from scratch at every mealtime.
That’s exactly what this easy vegetable pie is all about.
Using up leftovers and then making them into cute veggie pies. Then serving them for dinner with some instant pot no drain mashed potatoes for a quick dinner.
But I also like to think of it as part 2 of our pie maker chicken pie recipe that we shared with you yesterday.
You see, the chicken pie recipe was just 3 chicken thighs mixed in with this veggie bake.
Showing that you can just make a vegetable pie, or you can expand the ingredients to make a chicken and vegetable pie.
It also shows how far you can stretch those leftovers and make good use out of everything.
Would you like easy & amazing pie maker recipes from pie experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST pie maker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful pie resources.
Vegetable Pie Ingredients
Pastry – I use our pie crust for the bottom of my vegetable pie maker recipes and then a puff pastry lid. You can do the same all go all shortcrust or go all puff pastry.
Veggies – I recommend using leftover cooked vegetables. Preference is to root vegetables as they hold better when they are reheated in a pie. Though you can mix and match these veggies depending on what you have leftover. You could also do just cauliflower, for cauliflower cheese pies.
Cream – To make the creamy veggie pie filling I recommend grated cheese and double cream. Though you could swap double cream for Philadelphia cream cheese to reduce the calories.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your pie maker vegetable pies I love to keep it simple with salt, pepper, and parsley.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this vegetable pie recipe for pie maker it has just been our Breville Pie Maker. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of mini pie recipes.
How To Make Vegetable Pies In Pie Maker?
- Filling. I recommend you start by making your creamy veggie filling. Mix together cooked cold vegetables with cream and grated cheese.
- Roll. Next roll out the pastry for the bottom and top of your mini pies. Add the bottom to the pie maker, add the filling, then add the top and then add your egg wash.
- Cook. Then cook until you have golden mini vegetable pies. This took approximately 12 minutes with our Breville pie maker veggie pie recipe.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook vegetable pies in the pie maker and why I have fallen in love with my new, super cheap kitchen gadget.
How Long Do You Cook Pies In A Pie Maker?
I have tried several different pies in my Breville Pie Maker and have found the ultimate cook time is 12 minutes for pies and 8 minutes for things without a lid such as quiches.
I also find that a lot of it can be trial and error depending on your brand of pie maker. I recommend checking from the 8th minute to see how your pies are coming along.
Pie Maker Veggie Pie Tips & Tricks
- Always fill the pie maker to ¾ full. Otherwise, you will end up with the filling coming out and making a lot of mess.
- Experiment with the cookie cutters you have and then find your ideal one that you can use for the perfect pie. We tried about four until we found our perfect one.
- Any brand of pie maker will work well. We have Breville but there are so many to choose from.
- Always snip with a pair of scissors at the top of your pie lid. This will help your pies breathe and cook through during the cooking process.
- Pie makers get very hot, don’t allow children to touch it after use.
Interesting Pie Maker Trick – When doing batch 2 your pie maker will still be red hot. Don’t add the next batch of pastry until your filling is ready. Or you will end up with the bottom of your pie cooking much faster than the top.
Can you freeze pie maker pies? Yes, you can. Even better, veggie pies don’t fall under the rule of meat can only be reheated once.
Your vegetable pie maker recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful resources.
Pie Maker Vegetable Pies
- 100 g Pie Crust
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 100 g Leftover Cooked Veggies
- 75 g Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 100 ml Double Cream
- 2 Tsp Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Egg Wash
- Place your leftover veggies into a bowl. If they are big chunks, then trim them down.
- Then add in double cream and grated cheese and mix well.
- Roll out your pie crust bottom (made of homemade shortcrust pastry) and the puff pastry lid. Then place the shortcrust bottom into the pie maker.
- Add the veggie filling and then press down the puff pastry lid. Snip the top of the pie with scissors to allow your pie to breathe as it cooks.
- Brush with egg wash and then place the lid down on your pie maker and cook for 12 minutes or until golden.