Beef & Pumpkin Stew. A delicious hearty beef and pumpkin stew that is cooked in the slow cooker. Paleo and low carb friendly and ideal for a healthy meal during pumpkin season.
This beef and pumpkin stew is an updated post. It was originally shared on Recipe This back in 2016 as part of our paleo series.
Beef & Pumpkin Stew
This beef and pumpkin stew must be one of the best healthy recipes that we have done in our slow cooker.
This is because it is one of those recipes that nobody would believe you if you said it was Paleo and you could serve it up to family and they wouldn’t mind that it was low carb.
But everybody and anybody loves a stew and just because you are eating a beef stew doesn’t mean it has to be unhealthy.
My biggest HATE about beef stew is when it is loaded with Bisto gravy granules or OXO cubes. Or in some cases both.
I didn’t even miss the dumplings which if you know me well you know that I can’t eat beef stew without them!
However, when we make a paleo beef stew with pumpkin, everything about it is natural and good for you and you will still feel stuffed from having more stew than you should of.
You also don’t have to be on paleo to enjoy our beef and pumpkin stew. It was just that we originally created it while on paleo and while wondering what to eat on Halloween that was loaded with pumpkin but paleo friendly.
Why Beef & Pumpkin Stew?
I love to make a beef stew in the slow cooker and have lost count of the amount of times I have made it. In fact, it was the first thing I ever made in the slow cooker.
But what I hate about making a beef stew is that you seem to have so much to prep. There are potatoes, different vegetables, beef, dumplings and the list goes on and on.
Instead I wanted to make a Halloween themed beef stew that would be loaded with beef and pumpkin and not have many other ingredients.
Beef & Pumpkin Stew Ingredients
This quick, easy, and incredibly healthy beef and pumpkin stew is loaded with:
- Beef Shin – I am a HUGE fan of beef shin and wrote a great guide showing you how to instant pot beef shin. Beef shin is sold in big chunks and cooks perfectly in the slow cooker. There is no fat to trim off or bones to remove. Or alternatively use the chuck roast from Butcher Box.
- Pumpkin – I dice pumpkin into cubes and load them into the slow cooker. You can also prep the pumpkin in advance, leave it in the fridge and throw it into the slow cooker later. Or even better buy your pumpkin already prepped.
- Beef Bone Broth – If you have not tried yet, then I recommend Kettle & Fire for the perfect bone broth. You can buy it in bulk and then use it in healthy stews and casseroles.
- Tinned Tomatoes – I love loading in tinned tomatoes into my stews and casseroles. You can also use the empty tin to measure out stock and get every last bit of the can of tomatoes.
We used this Crockpot Slow Cooker to make our slow cooker beef and pumpkin stew, but you can use any slow cooker.
Where To Buy Beef For Stew?
If you have not heard of butcher box, then they are the meat delivery service that is popular among fans of Paleo and the Whole30 with a box arriving at your door of grass fed beef each month.
Beef Stew With Pumpkin
The one negative of making beef stew with pumpkin is the texture and water content of pumpkin. It cooks very quickly, and beef needs a long cook.
The best option? Is to give your beef a head start without the pumpkin and then add the pumpkin later to the slow cooker.
Then your pumpkin will be cooked without being mushy and your beef will be tender. Just like beef should be in a beef stew.
How To Cook Beef & Pumpkin Stew?
Here are the main steps for a beef and pumpkin stew in the slow cooker:
- Prep pumpkin and sweet potatoes.
- Sauté an onion and garlic in the slow cooker.
- Load beef, tinned tomatoes, stock, and seasoning into the slow cooker.
- Slow cook.
- Add veggies.
- Slow cook.
More Hearty Slow Cooker Stews
Our slow cooker beef and pumpkin stew is not our first stew recipe on Recipe This and I doubt it will be our last.
Here are a few more slow cooker stew recipes for you to try next:
- Slow Cooker Rabbit Stew
- Slow Cooker Venison Stew
- Slow Cooker Brazilian Fish Stew
- Slow Cooker Hunters Chicken Stew
Slow Cooker Beef & Pumpkin Stew
- Peel and dice your onion and garlic cloves, and then sauté in the slow cooker on the stovetop with extra virgin olive oil.
- Dice the beef shin and load into the slow cooker. Brown on each side and then move the slow cooker from the stove and set it to 90 minutes on high.
- Load in tinned tomatoes and seasonings and cook.
- After 90 minutes when it beeps, add beef bone broth, cubed pumpkin, and cubed sweet potatoes. Stir the contents of the slow cooker and set the time to 3 hours on high.
- Stir and load into stew bowls and serve.