Slow Cooker Chicken Fricassee. One of my favourite French comfort foods slow cooked chicken fricassee is easy to make in the slow cooker and full of French flavour.
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker Chicken Fricassee
Slow Cooker Chicken Fricassee is an update of my slow cooked one pot chicken fricassee recipe that I originally published in 2016. As we cook our slow cooked chicken fricassee the most in the slow cooker, we decided to convert it for our slow cooker fans.
My version of the traditional chicken fricassee in the slow cooker is inspired by a favourite restaurant here in Portugal.
It goes by the name of the Plazza Caffe and is based in a town just 10 minutes drive away. They have a meal of the day deal where you get bread/olives, a main meal, dessert and a drink.
It costs just 7€/$8 each and we are always left feeling really full and wondering when we are going to get the rest of the bill!
On this occasion, which was the back end of 2015 they had chicken fricassee as the meal of the day. Served with fries, rice and salad it was a big portion and we were all in food heaven.
Though, the first thing I said to Dominic (well when the silence had ended because we were too busy enjoying the chicken fricassee) was I can’t wait to make this at home in the slow cooker.
Well the months passed by and here we are finally typing up our slow cooker chicken fricassee recipe after cooking it for years in either our slow cooker or our Instant Pot.
Chicken Fricassee In The Slow Cooker
Chicken Fricassee in the slow cooker starts with getting the chicken cut the right way. You see when you buy chicken fricassee meat its all about each piece of chicken being bone in chicken.
The best thing is to buy it with the chicken fricassee meat already chopped for you, like the picture above, or getting the butcher to chop it for you. Or you can follow Dominic’s guide on how to chop up a chicken.
But to fricassee a chicken you:
- Chop it straight down the middle so that you have 2 halves
- Chop the breasts in half
- Chop the leg into thigh and drumstick
- You then have 8 chicken pieces
In European countries like Spain, France and Portugal it is normal for chicken to be served like this. We like chicken fricassee cuts because you get a lot more flavour on the chicken.
The chicken we are using I bought at a favourite supermarket of mine in Spain and the way back into Portugal. Sadly, they only had one pack of chicken fricassee left!
Cooking Chicken Fricassee In The Slow Cooker
The art of cooking chicken fricassee in the slow cooker is to get all the prep done first, then it is a quick and easy slow cooker dinner.
I start off by prepping the fresh vegetables:
- Peeling and dicing the carrots
- Peeling and dicing the sweet potato
- Peeling the garlic cloves
- Peeling and dicing the onion
- Thinly slicing and cleaning the celery
Once you have this done and you have loaded these vegetables into the slow cooker, the hard work for your slow cooker chicken fricassee is over and done with.
Your next job is to add in your favourite French flavourings, dump your chicken fricassee pieces on top and you’re DONE.
Isn’t it amazing how delicious French food tastes just because of some garlic, wine and cream?
One the slow cooker has finished cooking your slow cooker chicken fricassee you just need to thicken your sauce.
My favourite way of doing this, is to use your hand blender, blend a little bit of the stew and then it will create a creamy stock. Of course, you can also add extra cream!
If you break down the steps it is rather easy. I like to think of making slow cooker chicken fricassee as:
- Prepping vegetables
- Adding French flavours (garlic/wine and cream anyone?)
- Dumping chicken on top
How Long Does It Take To Cook Slow Cooker Chicken Fricassee?
Most traditional slow cooker casseroles and stews take 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low. Because you don’t want the chicken to fall off the bone and to not get dry, I recommend reducing it slightly.
A good recommendation for slow cooker chicken fricassee would be 3.5 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
MORE Slow Cooker Stews & Casseroles
I am a slow cooker stews and casseroles junkie. Any season I am there loading up my slow cooker with my favourite stews and casseroles.
Here are a few more slow cooker comfort meals to add to your to do collection:
- Slow Cooker Hunters Chicken Stew
- Slow Cooker Brazilian Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Beef & Pumpkin Stew
Slow Cooker Chicken Fricassee
Main Recipe Ingredients:
- Clean the celery.
- Peel and dice the onion, sweet potato and carrots. Dice the celery. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Dump the garlic, celery, onion and carrots into the slow cooker.
- Pour in the white wine, cream and seasonings.
- Season the chicken fricassee with salt and pepper and place it on top.
- Place the lid on your slow cooker, cook on high for 3.5 hours.
- When it is cooked remove the chicken and put to one side.
- Using a blender, blend about 20% of the slow cooker contents and mix well and add in the rest of the after cooking ingredients. Stir well.
- Serve with the chicken over the sauce with warm crusty bread.