Its microwave squash time lets microwave acorn squash and enjoy it with some honey and cinnamon for the ultimate fall treat.
Squash cooked in microwave is amazing and you can mix it up with any of your favourite winter squash from acorn to butternut to pumpkin.
Table of Contents
Acorn Squash Microwave
I should add a disclaimer here and say that I was a late developer to acorn squash and a lot of the others from the winter squash family.
I blame Portugal for this. Living in a Mediterranean country for 13 years and that popular American food didn’t get as much love compared to food made on the Mediterranean.
You could get whole pumpkins and whole butternut squash all year around, then during winter squash season, you would see the odd mini squashes, but it was very limited and soon ran out of stock.
Then on our first Halloween back in the UK (2021) we were out pumpkin picking for the first time with the kids. Sofia was poorly and was being pushed around in the wheelbarrow, in the rain and they had an indoor area with a lot of the different squashes that they were selling.
That is when the farmer put the first acorn squash in my hand and told me it was amazing with some honey. I left with 12 acorn squashes knowing that in the UK, straight after pumpkin season you would be lucky to find them anywhere!
I have since cooked a lot of microwave acorn squash as well as huge quantities of air fryer acorn squash.
Today, we are going to show you how to cook acorn squash in microwave, why acorn squash in the microwave is the best, how to cut acorn squash in half, and most importantly how long to cook acorn squash in microwave.
If you are looking for more fast recipes that you can do in the microwave do check out our defrost series including defrost chicken in microwave, defrost steak in microwave, defrost sausage in microwave, and our personal favourite defrost bacon in microwave.
Can You Microwave Acorn Squash?
Yes, you can microwave acorn squash and you will love cooking acorn squash in microwave.
You can do up to three acorn squash at a time, that you have already cut in half. Or if you are like me, and the only one in the family that likes them you could do just one at a time.
Can You Cook Squash In The Microwave?
Yes, cooking squash in a microwave is delicious, it is fast and its perfect for a quick dinner side.
You can also use the microwave, to help soften winter squash to speed up your dinner.
Fastest Way To Cook Acorn Squash?
No surprise that the fastest way to cook acorn squash is in the microwave. When you look at our air fryer acorn squash recipe you will notice the cook time is 12 minutes, including 2 minutes to soften the acorn squash in the microwave first, to make it easier to cut in half.
Can You Soften Acorn Squash In Microwave?
Yes, you can soften acorn squash in the microwave and that is what we will be showing you to do as part of our acorn squash in microwave recipe.
To do the softening of the squash, simply cook the acorn squash whole for 2 minutes and then it will be so much easier to cut in half.
How To Cut Acorn Squash In Half?
We recommend that you microwave acorn squash before cutting. This makes it so much easier for you to cut the acorn squash in half.
After 2 minutes of microwaving acorn squash, remove it from the microwave and allow it to cool, just so that you don’t burn yourself as you cut the squash.
Put your knife in the top of the core and then push down on the knife as its quite hard, until you go right through to the bottom and then it will split in half.
You now have an acorn squash that is cut in half and its now ready to be microwaved.
Would you like easy & amazing microwave recipes from microwave experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST microwave beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful microwave resources.
Microwave Acorn Squash Recipe Ingredients
Acorns – Lets start with some beautiful whole acorn squash that is just shouting out MICROWAVE ME.
Honey – Then let’s talk honey as honey in a warm acorn is the best way to ever serve them. Though if you are vegan, you can swap honey for maple syrup.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning as this is a sweet acorn squash microwave recipe we are using cinnamon and pumpkin spice.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this microwave green beans recipe it has just been our Panasonic Microwave Oven. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of microwave recipes.
As well as your microwave you will need a good steamer basket that will fit in your microwave. We recommend this one.
How To Cook Acorn Squash In Microwave?
- Liquid. Start by adding a tablespoon of water to the bottom of your steamer basket. This is so that you can perfectly steam your squash.
- Prep. Next place your acorn squash in the microwave whole, directly on the turn table and cook for 2 minutes on full power.
- Cut. Then when the microwave beeps and making sure you don’t burn yourself cut the acorn in half and then scoop out the seeds.
- Cook. Next place the acorn squash into the steamer basket as two halves and microwave for a further 8 minutes.
- Finish. Next check that the acorn squash is fork tender and then add honey and seasonings and microwave for a further minute to warm the honey.
How Long To Cook Acorn Squash In Microwave?
For cooking acorn squash in a microwave, it takes JUST 10 minutes and this includes 2 minutes first to soften the acorn squash to allow you to cut the squash in half. Though you will need an extra minute for warming up the honey.
Listen To Microwave Acorn Squash
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Steaming In The Microwave
- Green Beans In Microwave
- Broccoli In Microwave
- Cauliflower In Microwave
- Carrots In Microwave
- Red Potatoes In Microwave
- Sweet Potato Cubes In Microwave
- Sweet Potatoes Whole In Microwave
- Check out all our Microwave Beginner Recipes!
Learn how to cook acorn squash in microwave below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Microwave Acorn Squash
- Place a tablespoon of water into the bottom of your steamer basket and put to one side.
- Place a whole acorn squash into the microwave directly onto the turntable and microwave for 2 minutes on full power.
- Then use a sharp knife to cut through the acorn squash from the top core right through to the bottom. Do this until you have two perfect halves. Then place the acorn squash halves into the steamer basket then add the lid and microwave for a further 8 minutes.
- Next, check that the acorn squash is fork tender, if not cook a little longer.
- Then add the honey into the halves and sprinkle with seasoning, microwave for 1 more minute to warm up the honey before serving.