How To Cook Frozen Fish In Air Fryer
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Frozen Fish In Air Fryer. Have you ever wondered if you can cook your favourite frozen fish fillets in the air fryer? Well let us take you on a guided tour and taste test of air fryer frozen fish: Featuring frozen tilapia, cod, and haddock in the air fryer basket.
Frozen Fish In Air Fryer
You can’t get any more British than some delicious, battered fish, can you?
I grew up in the North of England and our town had more Fish & Chip shops than any other type of takeaways.
There was no KFC or Burger King and fish and chips is what you got excited about. You had Friday night fish and chip shop supper too.
I even worked in plenty of them in my teen years as a waitress.
If I asked my parents and my husband, they would each put fish and chips on their favourite foods list.
So, when one of our readers asked us if we would taste test and show them how to cook frozen fish fillets in the air fryer, we were up for the experiment.
Can Frozen Fish Go In Air Fryer?
Yes it can. You can cook all kinds of frozen fish in the air fryer at home. Whether you are cooking frozen breaded fish or frozen battered fish, it is a winner in the air fryer.
You can also follow our air fryer frozen fish and chips recipe to cook both your frozen fish fillets and chips at the same time.
Frozen Fish Fillets In Air Fryer
When you cook frozen fish fillets in the air fryer there are a few simple things to consider:
- Battered frozen fish fillets work better in the air fryer. The thicker batter means that the crisp you get on your fish fillets is similar to that of deep fat fryer in the fish and chip shop.
- Breaded frozen fish fillets tends to be much lighter and healthier and you don’t get that wonderful crunch. Though if you are on a diet, breaded fish might be more suitable for you.
- Spray with extra virgin olive oil can improve the crunch on your fish and give it a better crispy coating. It also prevents the fish from being dry.
- Lemon juice helps if you are using a cheap brand of fish that is normally dry. It can add moisture to it and if you squeeze some lemon juice on halfway through cooking this will do the trick.
Air Fryer Frozen Haddock
Firstly, we tried frozen haddock in air fryer, and this was a HUGE disappointment. Waitrose haddock is rather expensive, so to open it up and get battered fish that doesn’t even look like frozen fish fillets is annoying.
How long do you air fry frozen haddock? The air fryer frozen haddock cook time is 16 minutes. This is because the frozen haddock is rather thick compared to other frozen fish and you need to make sure it is thoroughly cooked in the middle.
Air Fryer Frozen Cod
Secondly, we tried air fryer frozen cod, and this was the best for the taste and flavour.
It got me thinking that if I were to recommend a frozen fish fillet to cook in the air fryer it would be frozen cod.
Plus, because the frozen cod is much thinner, you don’t have to worry about a huge cook time.
How long do you air fry frozen cod? The air fryer frozen cod cook time is 8 minutes. This is nice and quick, because you ask anyone and they will say you don’t get much cod for your money.
Air Fryer Frozen Tilapia
Whether you call it air fryer frozen tilapia or just use some random white fish fillets, they are amazing in the air fryer.
You can mix and match with any white fish fillets when experimenting with recipes and cook times. They are not as tasty as cod, but have a better crisp than cod has.
How long do you air fry frozen tilapia? The air fryer frozen tilapia cook time is
12 minutes. This is because the frozen tilapia fillets are an in between size compared to the large haddock and the skinny cod.
If you were to ask us which our favourite was between the frozen tilapia, frozen haddock, and frozen cod, it would be a tough choice.
The frozen haddock had the best batter and the crisp on it was amazing. But the frozen cod is the best quality fish.
That moment when you know that you are eating cod comes to mind.
How To Cook Frozen Fish In Air Fryer?
The quick version of air fryer frozen fish goes as follows:
- Load frozen battered fish into the air fryer basket.
- Air fry and turn.
- Air fry and serve.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
How Long To Cook Frozen Fish Fillets In Air Fryer?
The air fryer frozen fish cook time varies between different frozen fish types. This is because you have the frozen haddock which is very thick, to medium frozen tilapia to skinny looking frozen cod.
It is similar to cooking our air fryer frozen chicken breasts. If you air fry a small one it will take the least time, compared to cooking a medium or large chicken breast.
More Air Fryer Frozen Fish Recipes
Beyond our air fryer frozen fish fillets 3 ways, we also have a few other delicious ways to cook frozen fish in the air fryer.
How To Cook Frozen Fish In Air Fryer
Frozen Fish Fillets Ingredients:
- 2 Frozen Medium Fish Fillets
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray optional
- Lemon Juice optional
- Place frozen fish fillets into the air fryer basket. Set the cook time to 12 minutes and a temperature of 180c/360f. Halfway through cooking add a teaspoon of lemon juice over the fillets and spray with extra virgin olive oil.
- When the air fryer beeps check on the fish fillets are cooked before serving with your favourite mayonnaise or fish sauce.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Facebook Group | Pinterest | Twitter | YouTube
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more:
Samantha, you had me at breaded cod in the air fryer. I am addicted to fish and chips. Pinning it to try later. Thank you.
Definitely need this in my life. That crisp is awesome!
That looks so amazing! My frozen cod is in the air fryer now.