Delicious and creamy this slow cooker chicken hotpot is ideal for an easy midweek dinner for you and your family. Think of it as creamy mustard chicken meets chicken hotpot in this diet friendly version of the classic.
With easy to source ingredients that you probably already have in, this is what midweek dinners are all about.
Table of Contents
Don’t you just love it, when you make a delicious slow cooker meal and you get to enjoy the leftovers the next day.
That is me right now!
I have just enjoyed a lunch of leftover chicken hotpot with some salad and loved every last bite and can’t wait to make it again.
This is not your chicken hotpot that is heavy on gravy or that resembles a chicken pie filling.
Instead, what I wanted to create was something a little different.
I wanted a slimming world chicken hotpot or a weight watchers chicken hotpot, that was perfect for weight loss, but also a chicken hotpot that the whole family will enjoy.
This chicken hotpot is loaded with chicken, light Philadelphia cream cheese, mustard, seasonings, and root vegetables. Followed by swapping the classic white sliced potato topping with sweet potato slices. And I can’t wait to share it with you!
Are You New To The Slow Cooker?
This is perfect for you if you want to get more recipes for your slow cooker. Loaded with a lot of British classics and something for everyone.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to it in an instant.
Chicken Hotpot Slimming World
I am currently on Weight Watchers and have followed the principles in my recipes of WW and SW and the intention was to make this hotpot slimming world and weight watchers friendly.
Chicken hotpot slimming world – It is loaded with SW chicken and veggie free food and the sweet potato slices are free too. You will need to account for extra virgin olive oil for the sliced potatoes and for Philadelphia light. But note this feeds a family, so the Philly is rather low.
Chicken hotpot weight watchers – If you are on WW you will find that thanks to personal points, you gain a lot of points back and for me (after points back) it worked out at JUST 1 point or you can reduce this to zero by adding some lettuce or some cherry tomatoes to your dinner plate.
Quorn Chicken Hotpot
If you are a vegetarian then you will be pleased to know that you can make a quorn chicken hotpot, by swapping the chicken for diced quorn pieces.
It’s a very easy swap to do and tastes just as good.
What Is A Chicken Hotpot?
A chicken hotpot, also referred to as a sliced potato topped chicken pie is chicken and vegetables in a sauce or gravy, served with sliced potato topping.
There are many different versions of a chicken hotpot, just like there are with a chicken pie.
Just like a chicken pie you can have a chicken hotpot with different fillings. Such as chicken and leek, chicken and mushroom, chicken and bacon etc.
Chicken and leek hotpot is the most common type.
Though what remains throughout all hotpots is that it always includes meat (your chicken), onion and a sliced potato topping.
Is Chicken Hotpot Healthy?
Yes, this version of a chicken hotpot is healthy. No unhealthy gravy granules. No unhealthy chicken OXO cubes.
A sauce made from light Philadelphia and a homemade veggie stock cube and loaded with lean chicken breast and root vegetables.
Do You Cook Chicken First Before Putting In Slow Cooker?
You will be pleased to know you can load chicken into the slow cooker straight away without any browning or cooking of the chicken first.
I recommend adding to the slow cooker veggies, chicken breasts on top and a stock cube. This prevents the chicken from getting dry and everything then cooks together.
Would you like easy & amazing slow cooker recipes from slow cooker experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST slow cooker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful kitchen gadget resources.
Chicken Hotpot Ingredients
Chicken – For a quick chicken hotpot recipe, I recommend that you use chicken breast fillets. They are already cut up ready for you and it makes the prep even easier. I prefer the chicken fillets from Iceland but Tesco’s also do some very nice ones too.
Philadelphia – For a creamy chicken hotpot we are using Light Philadelphia as it makes everything so, so creamy. You will be amazed at the results.
Stock – Then of course to mix the cream cheese with, its all about the vegetable stock. I make my own instant pot veggie stock and then freeze it into cubes and then its easy to use in the slow cooker for easy dinners like this.
Veggies – For the best chicken hotpot, and a chicken hotpot that is healthy too. I have opted for loads of root vegetables. Leeks, carrots, swede, parsnips, and other similar veggies all work well together. Or you can keep it simple and just use leeks for a chicken and leek hotpot.
Potatoes – This chicken hotpot recipe, wouldn’t be a hotpot without the famous sliced potato topping. But we are keeping it healthier by swapping the white potato slices for sweet potato slices.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this chicken hotpot slow cooker recipe it has just been our Crockpot Slow Cooker. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of hotpots and we have used it many times for similar recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our slow cooker recipes category as we have more than 100 tried and tested slow cooker recipes and have been using slow cookers for 18 years.
How To Make Chicken Hotpot In Slow Cooker?
- Dump. Add to the slow cooker your prepped veggies, chicken breast fillets and your veggie stock cube.
- Cook. Slow cook on high for 3.5 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Add. Then stir in Philadelphia cream cheese, any seasonings you want to add, along with mustard.
- Potatoes. Thinly slice your potatoes (skin on or off its your choice) and follow our air fryer sweet potato slices recipe. Place the potatoes over the creamy chicken hotpot ingredients. Cook for an extra 30 minutes before serving.
And I am sure you can see why this chicken hotpot slow cooker recipe is a true favourite of mine.
How Long To Cook Chicken Hotpot?
You will be pleased to learn that it takes JUST 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low, to cook a chicken hotpot from scratch.
There is no precooking of anything, and we have skipped the step of cooking onions in butter (associated with many hotpot recipes) to keep this chicken hotpot recipe lower in calories.
Can I Freeze Chicken Hotpot?
This chicken hotpot recipe can be frozen. Though note, that once it has been frozen it can only be reheated once, because it has previously been cooked.
I recommend finding a suitable freezer container, that is microwave safe, then you can reheat your chicken hotpot leftovers in the microwave from frozen.
Chicken Hotpot Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Even though you can use any chicken, I recommend for best results that you use chicken breast fillets. They are the easiest to cook in the slow cooker, no dicing is required, and they are much leaner than thighs.
- Cook the sliced potatoes first in the air fryer. Only a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil is required and then you don’t need to add butter or place your chicken hotpot in the oven.
- Not cooked a hotpot in the slow cooker before? Then check out our slow cooker Lancashire hotpot recipe first.
- Using Philadelphia is fantastic for making your hotpots creamy. Then the cream from the cheese, mixes with the stock to create an amazing quick sauce.
- You can swap the chicken for turkey strips or some pork and get similar results.
Slow Cooker Trick – Always buy a slow cooker like this Crockpot one that we own. It can go on the stovetop to brown meat and go in the oven.
Slow Cooker Hotpot Recipes
This chicken hotpot in the slow cooker is part of our series dedicated to simple hotpots you can make in your slow cooker for busy mealtimes. Below you will find the rest of the series.
- Slow Cooker Minced Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Sausage Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Stovies
- Slow Cooker Bacon Hotpot
And don’t forget to check out the rest of our slow cooker recipes in order of most recent recipe first.
Your chicken hotpot in slow cooker recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Slow Cooker Chicken Hotpot
- Dice and peel your onion, swede, carrots and then slice and wash your leeks.
- Load the veggies into the slow cooker and place the chicken breast fillets on top. Sprinkle with seasonings and find a gap for your frozen veggie stock cube.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3.5 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Stir in the Philadelphia light as well as the mustard and extra seasonings. It will become creamy and all liquid from your stock will have disappeared.
- Then decorate the top of your hotpot with your just air fried sliced sweet potatoes. Cook for an extra 30 minutes with the sliced potatoes on top before serving.