This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Cheese & Onion Pasty In Air Fryer. Introducing you to the best homemade cheese onion and potato pasties, that taste better thanks to the air fryer.
You will love how golden the pasties are, how fast they are to make, how amazing the filling is and best of all, how you can freeze these pasties for later.
Cheese & Onion Pasty
When I think about a cheese and onion pasty, I am back in childhood. I am 8 years old and working with my dad in his shop. He had a video rental shop it’s the late 80’s and we had a bakery about 3 doors away.
It was a bakery brand that was later bought out by Cooplands and did British bakery classics very similar to what you associate with Cooplands or with Greggs.
My dad would hand me a ten pounds note (worth a lot more in the late 80’s than it is today) and would send me to the shop to get him a chicken sandwich.
Then tell me, I could buy what I want.
I mean seriously???? Don’t send a child in a bakery and tell them they can have whatever they want, as they will come back with the whole shop.
I always had a prawn sandwich, a strawberry tart and always a cheese and onion pasty. I was obsessed with these pasties and wouldn’t make it out of the shop without one.
All these years later, I always love a good pasty and thanks to the air fryer, they are amazing to quickly make at home.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Cook A Pasty In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can, and we will be showing you today how to cook a simple cheese and onion pasty recipe using the air fryer.
You can use the air fryer to cook the potatoes and onion, then load them into a bowl with cheese and other ingredients.
Then you can air fry your cheese and onion pasty in its pastry and you will have a wonderfully golden homemade pasty.
What Pastry Is Used For Pasties?
There is mixed opinion for the best pastry for pasties. Some will tell you that the best pastry for pasties is puff pastry, whilst others will tell you it is shortcrust pastry.
As I like to make my own pastry, I always opt to make pasties with shortcrust pastry. Plus, it keeps the cost down and keeps it nice and economical.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Cheese Onion Pasty Ingredients
Pastry – You can make your own or use puff pastry or supermarket shortcrust. I prefer to make a quick batch of shortcrust because then I can make a few different types of homemade pasties.
Egg – If you want a beautiful golden glow on your homemade pasties, then I recommend some egg wash. You only need a little bit of a small egg, but I prefer to use a large and the leftovers go towards my air fryer egg cups.
Fillings – Then for the fillings I used some white potatoes, grated cheese, and onion to make yummy cheese, onion, and potato pasties.
Sauce – I recommend having something you can mix with your potatoes, cheese and onion that will stop your pasties from being dry. This can be cream, sour cream, fromage frais, quark, Greek yoghurt etc.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this cheese onion and potato pasty recipe it has just been our Cosori Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
As well as this, we have also used our pasty maker which is essential if you want to make the best pasties at home. Or you could also get a Cornish pasty making machine.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make Cheese & Onion Pasties?
- Prep. Start by prepping your onion and potatoes. Peel them and load them into a bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil and any seasonings. Mix with your hands.
- Load. Next load into the air fryer and air fry until your potatoes are fork tender.
- Create. Whilst the air fryer is working its magic make and roll out your pastry. Then load the filling into the pastry whilst it’s sat in the pasty maker. Press it down to make pasty shapes.
- Air Fry. Load into the air fryer, smoother in egg wash and air fry for 8 minutes before serving.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to air fry cheese and onion pasties and why you should be doing it too!
How To Make Pasties?
The wonderful thing is that you learn how to make cheese & onion pasties and that same method can be recycled and used to make so many different pasty recipes.
You then have the standard pasty recipe and can mix and match your fillings.
You could do just cheese and onion pasties, beef pasty, meat pie pasties, or even a chicken pasty.
Then simply follow my easy pasty recipe and you will have even more yummy pasties to enjoy.
Or even better, freeze some of our pastry and next time you have some dinner leftovers, you can make them into pasties for the next day.
Cheese Pasty Tips & Tricks?
- Add lots of egg wash. Even you don’t use enough egg wash then they wont go wonderfully brown and will look anaemic.
- Also add egg wash to the corners as you pat them down as it will help them stick and stop them coming apart during the cooking process.
- Whatever you do, don’t overfill the cheese and onion pasties otherwise the filling will roll out and make a mess and it wont be pretty!
Interesting Air Fryer Trick – Add a layer of foil prior to air frying your cheese pasties. It will stop them sticking to the air fryer basket and you will be amazed at how easy the clean up will be afterwards. Plus, don’t forget to check out our podcast episode on can you use foil in air fryer?
Can you freeze your cheese and onion pasties? Yes, you can. You can precook them, cool them, and then freeze them in a freezer bag or in the foil you lined the air fryer with.
Can you make ahead your pasties? Yes, you sure can and it’s a great time saver. Let’s say you are in the middle of washing up from dinner and have leftovers, well you can make the pasties ready for lunch the next day.
How Long To Cook A Pasty?
The air fryer cook time for the cheese and onion pasties is JUST 8 minutes. But this doesn’t factor in, making the cheese, onion and potato filling for inside your pasty.
The filling cook time is 12 minutes and the pasties is 8 minutes giving you a total cook time of 20 minutes.
More Air Fryer Pastry Recipes
- Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Beef Wellington
- Air Fryer Quiche
- Air Fryer Mars Bar
- Air Fryer Pop Tarts
Your cheese and onion pasty recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Cheese & Onion Pasty In Air Fryer Recipe
- Peel and dice your potatoes into small chunks. Peel and thinly dice your onion. Load both into a mixing bowl with extra virgin olive oil and mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Mix with your hands and then place in the air fryer.
- Air fry for 12 minutes at 180c/360f and when it beeps check with a fork that the potatoes are fork tender.
- Place the potatoes and onions back into the bowl with all the other ingredients including the sour cream. Mix with a fork.
- Roll out your pastry and then place the bottom of the pasty maker over it and cut out your circles. You might have to roll a second time to get three pasty circles.
- Then once you are done making the pasty circles place one at a time into your pasty cutter. Load the filling into one half of the pasty, making sure you don’t overfill it.
- Push down, making sure it leaves the beautiful pasty pattern. Then do this for each of your pasties.
- Then place foil in the air fryer basket and cover the tops of the pasties with egg wash.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 200c/400f before serving.