Welcome to my British Fish & Chip Shop Healthy Battered Sausage & Chips recipe.
The British fish and chip shop is very much part of my British heritage. It was part of normal everyday life and long before the takeaways and fast food outlets dominated every British street corner it was the fish and chip shop that ruled.
Many people blame the fast food on every corner as the result for the extreme obesity that we are now faced with. I personally don’t blame it and blame a mixture of processed foods and the fact that everyone wants everything to excess.
We had fish and chip shops that we could eat out at everyday but our grandparents generation would have them as a treat as the traditional Friday night supper.
The other benefit of the fish and chip shop is that no matter how many sides you bought with your fish and chips it would always work out at about a quarter of what you would spend in the fast food chains.
I also had two fish and chip shops within a 2 minute walk of my front door and the town itself was full of them.
They were always in high demand and in the summer season even the terrible ones were never short of business.
But you look on the menu of a fish and chip shop and everything is deep fried.
The only things that aren’t are the super unhealthy bread cakes, the pies or the disgusting green mess otherwise known as mushy peas.
When I used to visit the fish and chip shop though I hated the battered fish and thought it was something that I was expected to have out of torture?
My Grandparents would often think I was weird that I would have chips and gravy while they tucked into fish and chips.
But I used love to just have the chips or the battered sausage and chips. But again the battered sausage and chips is super unhealthy and I have avoided it for many years.
So when Dominic surprised me today with his super healthy take on battered sausage and chips via the Airfryer I was in food heaven.
More Family Recipes In The Air Fryer
- Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Turkey Fajitas Platter
- Birdseye Fish Fingers
- Airfryer Mini Kievs
- Airfryer Cornish Pasties
- Airfryer Meatloaf
- 5 Ingredient Fishermans Fishcakes
- Airfryer Fish & Chips
- Airfryer Chicken Kievs
- Airfryer Kebabs & Rice
- Airfryer Bubble & Squeak
- Cornish Pasty Bread Bowl
British Fish & Chip Shop Healthy Battered Sausage & Chips
- Preheat your airfryer to 180c.
- Peel your potatoes and make it chips and place in your airfryer with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Secondly prepare your breaded crust. Place the wholemeal bread in the airfryer on top of the chips and harden it for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take it out and break it up into bread crumbs. Place the breadcrumbs in one dish mixed with some salt and pepper. Followed by egg in another and the flour in the third.
- Make the breaded sausage. Place a sausage into your hand, roll it in the flour, roll it in the egg and then finish it off with rolling it in the bread crumbs.
- Do this until you have run out of sausages but the mixture should make 4 battered sausages.
- Then place in the airfryer on top of the potatoes for 10 minutes on 180c. After 10 minutes remove the chips and give your sausages a further 5 minutes on their own.