Slow Cooker Bacon Hotpot
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Traditional bacon hotpot got a slow cooker makeover in this yummy, quick prep, hearty bacon hotpot with plenty of leftovers for another day.
This potato onion and bacon hotpot is loaded with flavour, loaded with veggies and perfect for busy weeknights when you want something simple.
Is it me or does it feel like food prices are constantly on the rise? I look back at what I used to buy and can’t believe the steady increase and how that favourite one pot dinner suddenly got expensive.
And whilst most things have gone up in price, the best food that keeps us full for hours and costs a lot less than other dinners is the traditional hotpot.
You can make a big hotpot on cheap food you already have in and then the leftovers are perfect for the next day for a quick leftovers meal.
In today’s bacon hotpot recipe, I have combined a frozen veggie bag that I forgot about from the freezer, along with some bacon chops from the freezer that I had also forgotten about.
Then mixed this up with potatoes that needed using and that white onion that was starting to look like it had seen better days.
Combined, it made a delicious hearty potato onion and bacon hotpot.
You can then do the same at home, by using up your leftovers for a hotpot that is a little different but still follows the same traditional principles.
Are You New To The Slow Cooker?
This is perfect for you if you want to get more recipes for your slow cooker. Loaded with a lot of British classics and something for everyone.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to it in an instant.
What Is A Bacon Hotpot?
A bacon hotpot, also known as a bacon and potato hotpot, or a potato onion and bacon hotpot, is exactly how it sounds.
A hotpot made with bacon.
A classic hotpot always has the same two ingredients – potato and onion.
The onions are always sauteed at the start of cooking with either extra virgin olive oil or with butter.
You then add in meat and other ingredients such as root vegetables.
To make a bacon hotpot you would simply have bacon, or bacon chops as your main meat.
Though because we love the slow cooker for a hotpot our bacon hotpot will be cooked in the slow cooker.
Plus, you can then place your slow cooker in the fridge overnight for easy storage of your leftovers.
What Are Bacon Chops?
I often get asked what are bacon chops or what cut is a bacon chop? Well, a bacon chop is simply a thick slice of bacon.
Take a look at our bacon chops from our favourite butchers:
As you can see you could get several slices of bacon from this bacon chop and it makes a fantastic base for a stew, casserole or of course a bacon hotpot.
This is because when you make a bacon hotpot the bacon will often disappear as its small to begin with and will get lost among the veggies.
By using bacon chops you have amazing texture to your hotpot and its so easy to prep too.
What Is The Difference Between Stew & Hotpot?
Many people ask me what the difference is between cooking a stew in the slow cooker, such as our slow cooker lamb stew and dumplings, or cooking a hotpot like our slow cooker Lancashire hotpot.
Well, a stew doesn’t have a yummy sliced potato topping. Instead, stew is traditionally served with dumplings, or in the Milner house we often have our stew with some homemade bread maker bread.
A hotpot just like a stew is cooked slow and is often cooked in a delicious stock, depending on the stew or hotpot you are cooking.
If you love stew, you will love a hotpot.
Would you like easy & amazing slow cooker recipes from slow cooker experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST slow cooker beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful kitchen gadget resources.
Bacon Hotpot Recipe Ingredients
Bacon – I recommend you use bacon chops as they produce a better bacon hotpot recipe. You can also swap the bacon for pork steaks or some pork loin that you have diced.
Potatoes – You can’t make a hotpot without potatoes and you can use any you have in. You can make it more like a hotpot like we have done, or just randomly add in sliced potatoes.
Onions – Then of course a bacon hotpot recipe wouldn’t be the same without adding a white onion.
Butter – Because I am making a traditional bacon hotpot, I am also opting for some butter for cooking the onion with, rather than extra virgin olive oil.
Veggies – I have also added in potatoes and a frozen veggie casserole pack from Iceland. These really bulk up your bacon hotpot and ensure that it can be a cheap as chips way to feed your family for the next couple of days.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this bacon hotpot slow cooker recipe it has just been our Crockpot Slow Cooker. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of hotpots and we have used it many times for similar recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our slow cooker recipes category as we have more than 100 tried and tested slow cooker recipes and have been using slow cookers for 18 years.
What Makes This An Easy Bacon Hotpot Recipe?
If you want an easy bacon hotpot recipe, then it is all about the ingredients. The bacon chops don’t need any prepping apart from quickly cutting into chunks.
The veggies we are using are bought already prepped and only real prep is peeling and slicing the potato and onion.
How To Make Bacon Hotpot In Slow Cooker?
- Sauté. Dice and peel your onion and sauté with butter in the slow cooker.
- Dump. Add to the slow cooker your potatoes, chopped bacon chops, veggie mix, tinned tomatoes, and seasoning. Mix well.
- Cook. Slow cook on high for 3.5 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Add. Then add in any extra seasoning and mix well.
- Potatoes. Thinly slice your potatoes (skin on or off its your choice) and follow our air fryer sliced potatoes recipe. Place the potatoes over the bacon ingredients. Cook for an extra 30 minutes before serving.
And I am sure you can see why this slow cooker bacon hotpot recipe is a true favourite of mine.
How Long To Cook Bacon Hotpot?
The slow cooker bacon hotpot cook time depends on how big the chunks of bacon chops are, and whether they are already cooked.
For example, if I was using leftover bacon chops I would add them last and the whole bacon hotpot would be cooked in 2 hours.
However, because I am dumping everything in and cooking the hotpot from scratch it takes 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
Bacon Hotpot Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Even though you can use any bacon, I recommend for best results that you use bacon chops cut into chunks.
- Cook the sliced potatoes first in the air fryer. Only a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil is required and then you don’t need to add butter or place your bacon hotpot in the oven.
- Not cooked a hotpot in the slow cooker before? Then check out our slow cooker Lancashire hotpot recipe first.
- Using tinned tomatoes is fantastic for making your hotpots rich in flavour, creamy and without drying the bacon and potatoes out as it slow cooks.
- You can swap the bacon for any steak chunks etc and get similar results.
Slow Cooker Trick – Always buy a slow cooker like this Crockpot one that we own. It can go on the stovetop to brown meat and go in the oven.
Slow Cooker Hotpot Recipes
This bacon hotpot in the slow cooker is part of our series dedicated to simple hotpots you can make in your slow cooker for busy mealtimes. Below you will find the rest of the series.
- Slow Cooker Minced Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Sausage Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooker Stovies
And don’t forget to check out the rest of our slow cooker recipes in order of most recent recipe first.
Your bacon hotpot in slow cooker recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Slow Cooker Bacon Hotpot
- 400 g Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
- 1 Medium White Onion
- 1 Tsp Butter
- 1 Kg Casserole Veggie Mix
- 3 Medium White Potatoes
- 2 Bacon Chops
- 1 Can Diced Tinned Tomatoes
- 2 Tsp Parsley
- 2 Tsp Basil
- 2 Tsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Dice and peel your onion and sauté in the slow cooker on the stovetop with a little butter.
- Dice your bacon chops into medium chunks.
- Load into the slow cooker your bacon chops, peeled and diced potatoes and your casserole veggie mix.
- Then add in seasonings and tinned tomatoes and mix well.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3.5 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Give it a quick stir and then decorate the top of your hotpot with your just air fried sliced potatoes. Cook for an extra 30 minutes with the sliced potatoes on top before serving.
This was delicious, really nice comfort food, will be trying your whole selection of hot pots they look delicious.