This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Delicious air fryer Pumpkin Pie. How to make a homemade pumpkin pie in the air fryer this Thanksgiving.
If you love pumpkin pie, then you will this air fryer pie. Combining our favourite homemade recipe for pumpkin puree, with my grandma’s amazing sweet pastry, then cooked in the air fryer, this is the best pie you will ever try.
This pumpkin pie recipe was originally shared with you back in 2016, then updated in 2019. We are here today with another update and have since updated air fryers, gone pumpkin picking and made this recipe even better!
Air Fryer Pie
I love pie in the air fryer. There I said it. Its one of my favourite foods for the air fryer. Which seems wrong to say when the Philips Air Fryer (the original air fryer) was meant for reducing calories and making air fryer chips.
But pie in the air fryer is delicious and you can mix and match with your favourite fillings.
The idea is that you can make your pie filling, you make your pie crust and then let the pie cook in the air fryer.
An air fryer pie has an amazing golden crust on it, and its often better than cooking a pie in the oven.
You can use a silicone baking pan, a quiche dish (like we use in our cheese flan), do them in cute little ramekins or use a pie dish that fits in the air fryer.
But with our air fryer pumpkin pie I will be following a similar method that I did with the meat pie and that is making the filling in the instant pot and then cooking it in the air fryer, perfect for people like me that have both an air fryer and an instant pot or a ninja foodi.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Bake A Pie In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can bake a pie in the air fryer. The pie will be wonderfully golden, it will be warmed through, and you will love it.
The only downside to an air fryer pie, is that a lot of air fryers only circulate heat from the top, so if you have a HUGE pie then it will take a while to cook.
Its always best to do a pie in the air fryer that is not that thick such as this air fryer pumpkin pie.
Do You Blind Bake Pumpkin Pie Crust?
You will be pleased to know that there is no need to blind bake your pumpkin pie crust. This is because the air fryer pumpkin pie filling takes a while to heat through and if you blind bake, your pastry will be cooked too soon.
When Should I Make Pumpkin Pie For Thanksgiving?
I recommend cooking your air fryer pumpkin pie on the Tuesday so that it has set overnight and then it will still be fresh enough to be served on the Thursday.
I love to cook the sweet treats for thanksgiving on the Tuesday, then make ahead the savoury supplies on the Wednesday, then I am all organised for Thanksgiving.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Pumpkin Pie?
Crust – You will want a batch of our air fryer pie crust. Which is super easy to make with JUST flour, butter, water, and some sugar.
Filling – Then you will use a batch of our instant pot pumpkin puree that we have transformed into pumpkin pie filling. Its so, so easy to make that my five year old made it.
Container – Then the tricky part is finding a container to make your pie in that fits your air fryer. This is what we recommend you use.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this easy pumpkin pie air fryer recipe it has just been our Philips air fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make Pumpkin Pie In Air Fryer?
- Filling. I start with the pumpkin pie filling first. That is because whilst I am waiting for the filling to cook and then drain, I can be using that time to make the pie crust. Focus on prepping your pumpkin, pressure cooking it, draining it and then mixing it with the other pumpkin pie filling ingredients.
- Crust. Then as the instant pot goes to pressure, rub the fat into the flour and add in sugar and then enough water to combine together. You can also make it more themed towards Thanksgiving with adding a little nutmeg and cinnamon to the flour.
- Roll. Then roll out your pie crust and cover your pie dish.
- Pour. Place the pumpkin pie filling over the crust before loading into the air fryer basket.
- Cook. Air fry your homemade pumpkin pie for 12 minutes at 170c/340f followed by a further 5 minutes at 160c/320f.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook pumpkin pie in the air fryer and how you can be doing the same.
What To Do With Excess Pumpkin Pie Filling?
The best use of excess pumpkin pie filling is to make some yummy small pumpkin pies. You can make them like small pies and OMG if you have a small air fryer, or are feeding less people, then air fryer mini pumpkin pies might be better suited to your needs.
The ingredients are all the same, you are just doing a smaller version and then you can freeze them for another season if you prefer.
The only BIG difference is that the cook time is going to be different. Instead of 17 minutes for a classic air fryer pumpkin pie you are talking about 12 minutes at 170c/340f.
This is a batch of ours ready for the air fryer:
What Temp Do You Cook Pumpkin Pie?
This is the tricky part of an air fryer pumpkin pie recipe. That is because you need to go slow, otherwise it will be cooked on top and then not cooked in the middle.
We have found the ideal temperature for pumpkin pie is 170c/340f and then lowered to 160c/320f for the last few minutes.
More Pumpkin Recipes For Halloween
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Cubes
- Soup Maker Pumpkin Soup
- Thermomix Pumpkin Soup
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup
- Instant Pot Whole Pumpkin
Your recipe for pumpkin pie is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie
- Firstly, get started in making your pumpkin pie filling. I always get this started first then I can be making the pie crust as it pressure cooks. You only need 500g of cubed pumpkin to make a medium sized pie.
- As it goes to pressure, make your pie crust. Rub the fat into the flour and sugar and gradually add in the water until you make a soft pie crust dough.
- Spray your cake pan with extra virgin olive oil and rub it in with your hands to make the can pan non-stick.
- Then roll your pumpkin pie dough on a clean worktop with some flour and then cover your cake pan. Cut around the edges. When the instant pot beeps, mix up your pumpkin pie filling and then pour over your pie crust.
- Place the uncooked pumpkin pie in the air fryer and then air fry for 12 minutes at 170c/340f and then a further 5 minutes at 160c/320f.
- If you have pie crust and filling left over, then roll some out and cut ready for mini pumpkin pies.
- Then load into the air fryer and cook for 12 minutes at 170c/340f.